Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2005, 09:39 AM

I am a new person here and new cruiser. We will be going on the Inspiration the middle of Jan 05 and going to Grand Cayman and Cozemel. My husband is in an electric wheelchair-anything that you could give advice on would be welcomed.
Is anyone going on the 22nd cruise?
I have read the posts here, and have gathered some information, but want to make sure if you can give some extra tips to us. The information and help here seems to be very good. Thank you in advance.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:39 AM

I am a new person here and new cruiser. We will be going on the Inspiration the middle of Jan 05 and going to Grand Cayman and Cozemel. My husband is in an electric wheelchair-anything that you could give advice on would be welcomed.
Is anyone going on the 22nd cruise?
I have read the posts here, and have gathered some information, but want to make sure if you can give some extra tips to us. The information and help here seems to be very good. Thank you in advance.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:45 PM

Grand Cayman will be a tender port and as such, my experience would be to wait for open tender and then let the crowds die down before going ashore. I regularly push a lady in a chair and the crowds surrounding the tender gangway can be very uncomfortable for someone in a chair. By waiting until there are no lines, you will have a wonderful tender experience. There will be staff on hand to help him down the stairs and onto the tender and also off the tender at the tender wharf in Grand Cayman. Grand Cayman itself is reasonably chair friendly.

Here is a tender trick. Wait until the tender is just about full before you board. You can tell the operator that you want to be the last on and they will generally accommodate you. As one of the last to board, you can grab one of the "pull down" seats and be right next to the stairs when the tender starts unloading. You will be the last to board and the first off. This really relieves the stress for those in chairs.

Cozumel is going to be another story. Depending on which pier you dock at, you will be able to access the shopping areas at the foot of the piers, but downtown Cozumel is realitively unfriendly to those in chairs. It is hot, crowded and rough going. I would suggest simply shopping at the pier shopping areas and then taking a taxi to Chankanaab National Park. There is tons to do there and it is all accessible.

Have a great cruise. Be sure to write a review for CruiseReviews.com about your experiences when you get back. I will look forward to reading it and learning any tips you can share.

Tom
Old 01-01-2005, 07:50 PM

Thank you Tom for your help. We are looking forward to this and I can't believe it is 3 wks from today! I had been told that he wouldn't be able to get off at Grand Cayman, and wouldn't be able to use a tender. He doesn't want to take manual chair, so I guess that will be out. We are going as part of a group, so that will make it easier if he stays on board.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:13 PM

I wouldn't give up so easily. The crew is used to transfering guests from their scooters onto and off of the tenders. Give it a shot.

Tom

Closed Thread