Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2009, 10:11 AM

Has anyone traveled that has a peanut allergy?? My son is fatally allergic and just wanted some tips from other passengers if they have traveled with the same condition. Also, I have heard that the Fantasy class of ships have been remodeled. We are sailing on the Elation and I was wondering if they had the waterworks slide... the really cool one or just a general slide. I am very excited about going and know this will be a huge hit with my kids.
Thank you so much!
Old 02-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SpoiledRttn:
Has anyone traveled that has a peanut allergy?? My son is fatally allergic and just wanted some tips from other passengers if they have traveled with the same condition. Also, I have heard that the Fantasy class of ships have been remodeled. We are sailing on the Elation and I was wondering if they had the waterworks slide... the really cool one or just a general slide. I am very excited about going and know this will be a huge hit with my kids.
Thank you so much!
It is mu understanding that the Elation still have the regular slide. I do not believe the EOV has been installed yet.

As for the allergy, I would advise that you use the same precautions that you would use whenever eating at any restaurant at land. And I would use that same precaution at every meal.

Since it is such a severe allergy, I would never "assume" that just because the first meal at dinner or on Lido was ok...that the rest of the week will be ok.

You are the first responder (so to speak) in protecting your son. And while Carnival does its best to be aware of these kinds of allergies... obviously the "buck stops" with you.

I would make sure I filled out a special needs form that you can get at specialneeds@carnival.com. I would make sure I spoke with the Maitre D in your dining room as well as the Head Waiter. Put as many "layers" of protection as you can.

If your son is Camp Carnival age, you will also want to list this allergy on the orientation sheet.

Our son has Autism and he wears an Autism Dog Tag at all times when he is on a cruise.

Good luck and hope your cruise is a great one.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
We are sailing on the Elation and I was wondering if they had the waterworks slide... the really cool one or just a general slide.
Hi SpoiledRttn, Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

As far as I know the Water Works Slide will be installed during the Drydock 2-26-09 through 3-11-09.

Dwayne
Old 02-20-2009, 12:08 PM

I just double checked about the Water Works Slide. It isn't listed in the renovation plans for the upcoming Drydock. I guess we'll have to wait and see. The Adult Serenity area is listed though.

Dwayne
Old 02-20-2009, 12:10 PM
LHP makes very good suggestions. I believe if you make them all aware you will be fine. We have cruised with Gluten allegeries and the wait staff was not only knowledable about the condition but worked very hard to accomodate it. I realize this is not just a inconvience to avoid so make it clear it is a necessity. Might even check in with the infirmary and be sure they are up on what to do if the unthinkable happens.

Have a great cruise
Old 02-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Administrator

I'd be very careful in the buffet area. Carnival makes some great oriental food, but as you well know that usually means peanuts are used in many dishes.

Our son has bad allergies, his most dangerous is with fire ants which is classified as a potentially fatal allergy. Thus I can sympathize with you. We have to keep an epipen injector with us at all times.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:11 PM

Thank you all so much! I am very diligent about being the advocate for my son and carry several epi pens with me. Thank you for all of your tips and advice. We have done disney world vacations (no cruises) and they are just remarkable. I am hoping we are met with individuals on Carnival willing to advise and check with the ingredients. Thank you all again. And thank you for the 411 on the slide!!
Old 02-21-2009, 06:42 PM

Peanut Allergy. Let the pier agent know at check in, contact the ship's doctor, tell the waiter and dining room manager. I sat at a table with a guest who had a peanut allergy and the first thing the waiter did was contact the dining room manager. The manager came over and discussed the menu each night with the guest going over the ingredients in the meal. He was very informative.

Closed Thread

Tags
allergic, allergies, allergy, carnival, cruise, cruises, cruising, dog, line, passengers, peanut, person, ship, tags, testimonials