Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 05:16 AM
Administrator

Default Carnival Dream having problems?
CNN reports Carnival Dream is still moored in St. Maarten and guests are contacting CNN claiming toilets are not working and power is spotty. Carnival has not responded to media requests. Here we go again. At least the ship isn't at sea. Of course, the reports might be exaggerated. We'll see.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:58 AM
Administrator

From Carnival Public Relations:

The Carnival Dream has a technical issue which our engineering team is currently working on. The ship is at dock in St. Maarten. At no time did the ship lose power but there were periodic interruptions to elevators and toilets for a few hours last night. However at this time all hotel systems are functioning normally and have been functional since approximately 12.30am. The ship has full power but is still at dock while personnel continue to work on the technical issue. The Carnival Dream was on a seven-day cruise and is based in Port Canaveral, Fla.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Update from Carnival:

The Carnival Dream has a technical issue with the ship’s backup emergency diesel generator which our engineering team is currently working on. Yesterday, during regularly scheduled testing of the ship’s emergency diesel generator, a malfunction occurred. At no time did the ship lose power and the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power source was not impacted. The ship is at dock in St. Maarten. All guests are safe and comfortable. There were periodic interruptions to elevators and restroom services for a few hours last night. However, all hotel systems are functioning normally and have been functional since approximately 12.30am.

While personnel continue to work on the technical issue we are making arrangements to fly all guests home via private charter flights and scheduled flights from St. Maarten. Guests on the current voyage will receive a refund equivalent to three days of the voyage and 50 percent off a future cruise.

We are also canceling the ship's next voyage which is scheduled to depart on Saturday, March 16. Guests scheduled to sail on this cruise will receive a full refund and 25 percent off a future seven-day cruise. Guests who re-book will have their current rate protected on the future sailing.
Additionally, any non-refundable transportation related expenses will be reimbursed.

Yesterday was a scheduled port of call visit to St. Maarten. Guests were able to spend the full day in port and have the option of continuing to do so until their scheduled return home. All of the ship's activities and facilities are fully operational.

We are very sorry for this disruption to our guests' vacation plans and extend our sincere apologies. We look forward to welcoming them back on another Carnival cruise.

The Carnival Dream was on the last leg of a seven-day cruise and was docked in St. Maarten when the technical problem arose. The ship is based in Port Canaveral, Fla.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:43 AM
The Carnival Splendor, the Carnival Triumph and the Carnival Dream are all first cousins to each other sharing a common design and engineering heritage.....Is it possible that there are common flaws within the common design itself?? Too many shortcuts in the manufacture? Lower quality materials used in the construction? I have cruised aboard all three of these ships and have thought them to be well built and reliable in the past......operating sooo many ships at a hectic pace may be an important factor here!!
In any case Carnival not only has a serious engineering concern....it is developing a very tarnished public image!!

However showing great Faith on the Cruise Line We have just booked another Carnival cruise for 2015 this morning....We Trust in and Believe in the Corporation and in their Crews and Staff!

BillyBuzzy
Old 03-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Administrator

An in-depth common cause analysis is needed, perhaps a vertical slice review of the practices at Fincantieri shipyard, an evaluation of the rigor of their quality assurance program, etc.

While these may all be separate problems (Dream, Triumph, Splendor) they all do share some commonality in basic designs and where the ships were built.

You know, Toyota makes great cars but after their spate of recalls over the past few years I am not going to run out and buy a Toyota without looking at the other brands. This latest event won't have much effect on experienced cruisers but it certainly can impact newbies searching for their first cruise.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:00 AM

I read that Carnival is now flying all passengers back to Miami. They will receive a refund of 3 days worth of their cruise, plus 50% off their next Carnival cruise. I wonder if that refund status will change?
Old 03-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Administrator

I would be satisfied with the compensation. After all, the facts now coming out are that one public restroom had an overflow and one stateroom had an issue. They always had power for food prep, cabins, etc.

This 'had' to happen this week of all weeks, with the Cruise - Shipping Miami conference going on and all the big wigs and media in Miami. Gerry Cahill probably is wearing a disguise.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:36 AM

Default My Daughter is on the Ship
We are in communication with my daughter, whom is on that ship. She supports the Carnival claim that the elevators and bathrooms had temporary outage. However, all is now working.

Carnival has a big PR problem. I would be suprised if the CEO and other operations management survive this. It's too much. If there's smoke, there's fire. I think they need new leadership with a strong focus on quality rather than quantity... Just my $0.2.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:40 AM

That would be $0.02, not $0.2.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Todd,

I agree with you that some executives may want to update their resumes. Right or wrong, in the corporate world there comes a time when heads will roll if for no other reason than appearances. I'd think Operations management needs to be nervous, but then Gerry Cahill (Carnival CEO) didn't impress many people with his public appearances during the Triumph event, and earlier this week he fell flat in his speech to the cruise media at the Miami conference, offering a lot of non-answers and eye wash about what the company is doing to address their engineering problems.

Tags
carnival, conquest, cruise, dream, issues, management, operations, plan, problem, problems, public, relations, reviews, ship, yesterday