Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/)
-   -   Carnival Triumph Breaks Loose From Mooring (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/39617-carnival-triumph-breaks-loose-mooring.html)

Dave 04-03-2013 01:09 PM

Carnival Triumph Breaks Loose From Mooring

Did someone put a voodoo curse on the Carnival Triumph? Here is some salt for rubbing into the wounds of the February cruise. I checked the Mobile weather office data and earlier this afternoon winds were 41 mph gusting to 54 mph.

Carnival Triumph breaks loose in Mobile.

Update: Winds peaked at 71 mph during a severe thunderstorm and that was when the event happened.

f-mattox 04-03-2013 05:36 PM

Poor Carnival just keeps getting slammed.

Dave 04-03-2013 05:53 PM

The media has already painted today's problem as being Carnival's fault, when it was the shipyard that was responsible for the mooring. But then with near hurricane force winds causing the event, it really seems to be an act of nature.

The most egregious remarks I've read so far come from Gene Sloan at USA Today, where his story led in with "the fire-ravaged Carnival Triumph broke loose....". Fire-ravaged? A fuel oil fire broke out and was confined to the engine room and extinguished. He makes it sound like the ship was ablaze from stem to stern.

f-mattox 04-03-2013 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It wasn't pretty; but it certainly wasn't "fire ravaged."

PC GUY 04-04-2013 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 298032)
The media has already painted today's problem as being Carnival's fault, when it was the shipyard that was responsible for the mooring. But then with near hurricane force winds causing the event, it really seems to be an act of nature.

The most egregious remarks I've read so far come from Gene Sloan at USA Today, where his story led in with "the fire-ravaged Carnival Triumph broke loose....". Fire-ravaged? A fuel oil fire broke out and was confined to the engine room and extinguished. He makes it sound like the ship was ablaze from stem to stern.

I posted a funny article on my Facebook page. There was a screen shot of CNN covering the Columbia disaster. According to CNN, the Columbia was traveling at nearly 18 times the speed of light when it broke apart. It was traveling at Mach 18, not Warp 18.

Dave 04-04-2013 07:30 AM

The lack of competent editing is rife in the media and it gets worse with each passing year. It would help if the 'journalists' who write these stories would get educated on things other than how to write a catchy headline.

Jim C. 04-05-2013 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f-mattox (Post 298033)
It wasn't pretty; but it certainly wasn't "fire ravaged."

Rick, where did you find that picture? Were there more?

davephillyj 04-05-2013 06:37 PM

I saw where they could not find the crew member in the water and called off the search after 15 hours.

Dave 04-05-2013 07:35 PM

The missing person is not a crew member of Carnival Triumph. He is a security officer for the shipyard. The winds in the quickly strengthening storm not only caused the cruise ship to bust loose but those winds also blew away the guard shacks, and this is where the missing man was stationed.

I've since learned that the winds were so strong they actually caused the concrete footings for the bollards at the Carnival Triumph moorings to fail. In other words, the lines from the ship to the pier held, but part of the pier collapsed.

davephillyj 04-06-2013 08:47 PM

May dad lives near Mobile and he said it was a very bad storm. I hate that someone lost their life. I don't think I would ever want to said on that ship no matter how low it went!