Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Default Carnival Triumph Breaks Loose From Mooring
Did someone put a voodoo curse on the Carnival Triumph? Here is some salt for rubbing into the wounds of the February cruise. I checked the Mobile weather office data and earlier this afternoon winds were 41 mph gusting to 54 mph.

Carnival Triumph breaks loose in Mobile.

Update: Winds peaked at 71 mph during a severe thunderstorm and that was when the event happened.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Poor Carnival just keeps getting slammed.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Administrator

The media has already painted today's problem as being Carnival's fault, when it was the shipyard that was responsible for the mooring. But then with near hurricane force winds causing the event, it really seems to be an act of nature.

The most egregious remarks I've read so far come from Gene Sloan at USA Today, where his story led in with "the fire-ravaged Carnival Triumph broke loose....". Fire-ravaged? A fuel oil fire broke out and was confined to the engine room and extinguished. He makes it sound like the ship was ablaze from stem to stern.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:03 PM
It wasn't pretty; but it certainly wasn't "fire ravaged."
Old 04-04-2013, 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The media has already painted today's problem as being Carnival's fault, when it was the shipyard that was responsible for the mooring. But then with near hurricane force winds causing the event, it really seems to be an act of nature.

The most egregious remarks I've read so far come from Gene Sloan at USA Today, where his story led in with "the fire-ravaged Carnival Triumph broke loose....". Fire-ravaged? A fuel oil fire broke out and was confined to the engine room and extinguished. He makes it sound like the ship was ablaze from stem to stern.
I posted a funny article on my Facebook page. There was a screen shot of CNN covering the Columbia disaster. According to CNN, the Columbia was traveling at nearly 18 times the speed of light when it broke apart. It was traveling at Mach 18, not Warp 18.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:30 AM
Administrator

The lack of competent editing is rife in the media and it gets worse with each passing year. It would help if the 'journalists' who write these stories would get educated on things other than how to write a catchy headline.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f-mattox View Post
It wasn't pretty; but it certainly wasn't "fire ravaged."

Rick, where did you find that picture? Were there more?
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 04-05-2013, 06:37 PM

I saw where they could not find the crew member in the water and called off the search after 15 hours.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Administrator

The missing person is not a crew member of Carnival Triumph. He is a security officer for the shipyard. The winds in the quickly strengthening storm not only caused the cruise ship to bust loose but those winds also blew away the guard shacks, and this is where the missing man was stationed.

I've since learned that the winds were so strong they actually caused the concrete footings for the bollards at the Carnival Triumph moorings to fail. In other words, the lines from the ship to the pier held, but part of the pier collapsed.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:47 PM

May dad lives near Mobile and he said it was a very bad storm. I hate that someone lost their life. I don't think I would ever want to said on that ship no matter how low it went!

Tags
09, alabama, bollards, carnival, crew, cruise, failure, list, members, mobile, mooring, reviews, triumph