Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 12:07 PM

Default Calypso band
Are they kidding...they have done away with the calypso band on the lido deck....I realize that Carnival is hurting for money....but come on!
Old 04-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Administrator

They phased this in almost 3 years ago, moving to one or two person acts using electronics to mimic steel drums, and now I believe it is mostly just an on-deck disc jockey. There were various excuses given, with the most used being that calypso bands were a one-trick pony and they took up crew space that could be used for more versatile musical acts.

I think it is really this: Carnival needs to appeal to younger people for future business, and the truth is steel drum music doesn't interest young people as much as it used to. It seems kitschy to them.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:51 AM

Wow, that really stinks. My family and I always enjoyed the calypso music while relaxing poolside.

So are the DJ's going to play at least some caribbean music?

Brad

Old 04-14-2013, 08:15 AM
Administrator

I guess they take requests.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:57 AM

DJ IRIE is part of the "Fun Ship 2.0" enhancements that they are putting on all the new ships and the older ships as they are being refurbished. The idea behind DJ IRIE is the music you hear throughout the ship is different in each section of the ship. I'm talking about the background music, not the live music. It is designed to enhance you vacation by setting the mood and ambiance for wherever you are on the ship. For instance; if you are in a lounge/bar with an Asian theme you will hear music of that flavor. The Serenity area - a more relaxed, softer music. Red Frog Pub- a more upbeat, fun music.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:34 AM

Default live music
We just returned from our cruise on the Carn Glory. Yes the live bands on Lido are gone. As part of the 2.0 make over cutbacks. As it is the same with most other areas on the ship .On Lido the DJ plays programmed music to welcome all the Caribbean bound cruisers very loud modern basically today music . It didn't set the mood for us. The big shows are gone , No more vegas type shows , cut back to 8 singers /dancers with computer graphics on screen. The 2.0 makeover has good points too. But music cutbacks suck.We did enjoy our cruise in spite of changes. Since Carnival doesn 't do the island for our next cruise. it looks like th Emerald Princess might fill the bill ,10 days southern caribbean. Any input would be helpfull, our first time on Princess. Happy cruising.
lookin to cruise
challon
ncl ms norway, sundream cruises ms carousel, carnival victory, carnival legend, carnival valor ,carnival freedom,carnival dream, carnival glory 2013, emerald princess (in the works feb 2014.)

Last edited by challon; 04-18-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:11 AM

You will love Princess cruise. We have never been on the Emerald yet, but have taken 8 Princess cruises and love everyone of them.

Tags
2013, band, bands, brad, calypso, carnival, clypso, cruise, cruiseline, drum, frog, gone, hire, music, pub, red, ships, singer, steel, valor