Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 08:50 AM

Default movies on the big screen
Hey there, can anyone give me some insight as to why Carnival plays 10 year old movies on the big screen in the evening....are they serious?
Old 05-05-2013, 11:00 AM

When I went on the Carnival Splendor in Feb 2012 they played up to date movies. They weren't ten years old.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Administrator

On Carnival Liberty in 2010 they showed Star Trek and Land Of The Lost. Both were about a year old. You'll never see a first-run movie on a cruise ship. What they can show depends on the licensing agreements the movie distributors have with various outlets such as the theater chains, Netflix, DirecTV, DISH, and other Pay-per-view providers. There is a pecking order of which entity gets to show the movies next after they have run in the theaters. This ensures 'exclusivity' for a set period of time for each provider.

Carnival could have an umbrella license but that only allows them to show movies when they can get approval and not have to pay a fee per movie. An umbrella license would cover all movies provided by their distributor on a yearly fee basis. Not cheap.

What many don't realize is that no matter how old a movie is, it likely still has a licensing fee if you show it publicly or for profit. I think the copyright has a 120 year length.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:26 AM

I do get what you are saying Dave..just would be nicer to relax in the evening and see a more recent movie than "Field of Dreams"..but as someone else posted...the Splendor played up to date movies?...
Old 05-08-2013, 08:57 AM

It's no different on Princess either. The concerts are at least 5 years old and the movies are ones that have been on TV numerous times. Occasionally I see one in the show lounge that hasn't hit the DVD market yet, bit that's rare. We usually stop watching movies at home prior to a cruise so we'll at least have something new to see on vacation.
The days of seeing a new movie on a cruise are long gone since they hit the DVD market much faster than in the past.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:17 AM

I don't know about you all, but personally, I have never gone on a cruise to sit and watch movies...I can do that at home without spending thousands of dollars!!!

Take care!

Old 05-11-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels87 View Post
I don't know about you all, but personally, I have never gone on a cruise to sit and watch movies...I can do that at home without spending thousands of dollars!!!

Take care!
The same can be sail about taking mid day nap, reading a book or playing cards. We all enjoy different things & watching a good movie is popular for lots of cruisers but unfortunately their selection of "good movies" is somewhat limited.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:47 AM
Administrator

I prefer the big screens for the live sporting events they show. This is especially true when cruising during NFL season, or when the World Cup is going on. Even if you aren't into soccer (I am not) you can get caught up in it because of the crew reactions since most of them come from countries where soccer is huge.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:32 AM

I'm not a big football fan but when the super bowl is on the big screen you can't beat that. Especially when they provide the food.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:28 AM

Wheels87, I'm with you. I rarely watch a movie on board, unless it's in the cabin when I'm getting ready for something or taking a nap. I try not to sleep as much, either, but this old body can only go so long before it has to take a siesta Even if I've been to the ports multiple times, I still want to go and do and see. Somehow, I always find something new.