Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Default Carnival Splendor New York Sailings Expanded
Cruise ships are coming to New York, and staying there as a home port. Press Release
Old 05-13-2013, 06:39 PM
Having sailed upon the Carnival Splendor on the West Coast We are pleased to have her homeporting in NYC (Almost Our backyard)...More importantly We are very happy to note the variety of her itineraries....NYC needs more variety in its offerings and Carnival is about to do it....She is a wonderful ship and with the dome over her pool....the Lido deck can be used in any weather!! A purrfect addition to NYC Winter sailings. We are booked on the Splendor for an 8 day in December.....She's a nice ship, she is a true "funship"!!

BillyBuzzy
Old 05-13-2013, 07:03 PM
Please forgive me for asking, but they are going to have one way New York-San Juan, and San Juan-New York cruises. How do they get around the Jones Act with these sailings?
Old 05-13-2013, 08:11 PM
Administrator

There is an exception in the Passenger Vessel Services Act for ships sailing from the U.S. mainland to Puerto Rico and vice versa.

This great article by my friend Alan Walker is quite old but still has a lot of relevant points.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:43 PM

This is allow as they are stopping at foreign ports, like Antigua, St. Martin and St. Kitts.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:39 AM
Administrator

They are stopping at other ports but legally don't have to in this case. The ship could go from NYC to San Juan and back and it is legal. This comes up often when people ask why a ship can leave Miami and it's first stop be Key West. Those cruises always continue on to some foreign port prior to returning to Miami, and are thus legal.

I have first hand experience with a cruise that didn't stop at any foreign port. We did a repositioning cruise once that started in San Juan, stopped the next day at St. Thomas, and then did two sea days, ending in Miami. All U.S. territory.

The Puerto Rico exception is only allowed as long as no U.S. flagged ship starts doing service to Puerto Rico from the U.S. mainland.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Here is an excerpt from the Passenger Vessel Service Act:

EXCEPTIONS

Transportation of Passengers Between Puerto Rico and Other U.S. Ports—46 U.S.C.§ 55104

An exception to the PVSA permits non-coastwise-qualified vessels (vessels not qualified to engage in the coastwise trade) to transport passengers on voyages between ports in Puerto Rico and other U.S. ports until qualified U.S. vessels are available.

You can get a pdf of the law here. There is also an exception for Canadian vessels to service Rochester and Alexandria Bay, NY.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Here is an excerpt from the Passenger Vessel Service Act:

EXCEPTIONS

Transportation of Passengers Between Puerto Rico and Other U.S. Ports—46 U.S.C.§ 55104

An exception to the PVSA permits non-coastwise-qualified vessels (vessels not qualified to engage in the coastwise trade) to transport passengers on voyages between ports in Puerto Rico and other U.S. ports until qualified U.S. vessels are available.

You can get a pdf of the law here. There is also an exception for Canadian vessels to service Rochester and Alexandria Bay, NY.
Thanks Dave. Those are good articles. It is all fun and games, until a ship like the NCL Pride of America decides to enter the market.

For a while, we did have a ferry boat service from Toronto to Rochester NY. They thought that the cross border shoppers would rather rather ride across Lake Ontario then drive around the lake to go shopping. People didn't see it that way, and it was discontinued due to lack of use.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:08 PM
Administrator

I was surprised when I first learned that many Canadians like to shop in the U.S. I always figured if 'we' had it then Canada had it for sale too at some store. I found out when we visited St. Stephen, N.B., while our cruise ship was in St. John. This was shortly after they tightened up the border crossing requirements and things suddenly were harder for people that had previously pretty much freely drove back and forth between Maine and Canada. Locals told us they often made trips to (I think) Bangor to load up on things. Everybody up there was a bit miffed by the new rules since they had friends on both sides of the river, families that had relatives on both sides, etc.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I was surprised when I first learned that many Canadians like to shop in the U.S. I always figured if 'we' had it then Canada had it for sale too at some store.
That is a bone of contention in Canada as to why almost everything costs more in Canada than the United States, especially items produced in Canada.

One newspaper did a study of Toyota and Honda, and looked at vehicles produced in the Cambridge (Toyota) and Alliston (Honda) Ontario plants. They went to the closest car dealerships to the Factory to compare prices, and found out you can get the same vehicles in San Diego CA for several thousand dollars less than at a dealership that is only 10 minutes away from the factory. The excuse was that Transport Canada and the US DOT have different rules, then they pointed out in order to meet Transport Canada requirements to import a US vehicle would only require at most $500.00 in upgrades. Go Figure.

Tags
2013, carnival, cruise, december, january, johns, leaving, location, ny, nyc, reviews, saint, spledor, splendor, winter, york