Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The company line on Mobile was the ship sailed at least full and often over 100% (3rd and 4th berths filled) for almost every cruise, but only because the fares were low. They said if they raised fares then the people would stop booking, so they moved Elation to a port where they could charge more and still fill the ship.
Here is my theory with Mobile.

The Holiday may have been part of the problem with Mobile. For years and years, Carnival had their oldest and smallest ship in Mobile, with cheap cruises. The local customer base came to expect low prices the Holiday, and expected the same with the Fantasy and Elation.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseDad View Post
I just read about this myself. It is bad news for cruises in these areas. Apparently Carnival believes that the increase in fares from ports within the area will results in not filling the ships. I tend to agree. I think we are all in favor of environmental protection but we differ in how to do it and in how quickly to move on it.
I watched Carnival Glory depart from Boston today on a Canada/New England cruise. Very mixed feelings.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Administrator

PC Guy, interesting perspective on Mobile and certainly a valid one. I guess we'll never know for sure. Meanwhile a very nice cruise terminal sits and rots away. Just as it is in Norfolk and other mid-sized cities.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
PC Guy, interesting perspective on Mobile and certainly a valid one. I guess we'll never know for sure. Meanwhile a very nice cruise terminal sits and rots away. Just as it is in Norfolk and other mid-sized cities.
I sailed out Mobile, on the final cruise of the Holiday. It is a very nice terminal - much better than what the Elation used in San Diego, and the Fascination uses in Jacksonville. Those two are glorified warehouses.

The events of this weekend prove how valuable the Mobile terminal is - when the Coast Guard closed the Mississippi River due to a sunken tugboat, and the Carnival Conquest had to divert to Mobile. Pity it is nothing more than an emergency diversion port.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:30 AM
Administrator

It is a shame that they look at Mobile as the equivalent of an emergency landing field. How convenient for Carnival, especially after they dumped Mobile with essentially no notice. Meanwhile Mobile had to round up people on a holiday weekend to open the terminal, Customs officers had to either come from New Orleans or get called in locally, porters, etc. I hope they charge a premium price to Carnival.

Tags
alabama, baltimore, carnival, carval, change, eca, gangway, holiday, leaving, mobile, port