Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Default Carnival Announces Changes In Ship Deployments
Carnival will shuffle the fleet again in 2014. Once again Norfolk will find it's new terminal empty as Carnival Glory will stay in Miami. This also means the Glory will not return to Boston. Carnival Dream moves to New Orleans, and Carnival Sunshine moves to Port Canaveral. Press Release
Old 06-27-2013, 04:53 PM
I can't believe no one wants to be here. It is so sad to see this beautiful Port and Terminal "EMPTY" I keep hoping for news some other ships will come back. I did hear that they can put their ships in Baltimore and NY and NJ and raise the price and fill them..but not here! Darn this is sad news for us in the Norfolk and Virginia Beach area. After the city spent 40 Million on the Terminal......ouch!

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 06-27-2013, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Same story for Mobile, Alabama. Built a nice terminal based on assurances from Carnival, and then they left with almost no notice and we were left holding the tab for it. The city even installed a new, larger gangway when Carnival moved the Holiday out and brought the Elation into Mobile - larger ship surely meant Carnival was here to stay, right? Wrong.

Norfolk is a great port. It is indeed a shame.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:56 AM
It also mentions that the Pride will move to Tampa (and leave Baltimore?) to replace the Legend which will go to Australia for their Summer (Norther Winter) season.

The Australian website says the Legend will Spend Winter (Northern Summer) in the Northern Hemisphere. Does any one know what this will be?
Old 06-28-2013, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Regarding Legend, they likely haven't decided yet, other than it will be from some North American port. The Carnival website still shows it in Tampa for the summer of 2014 and the Pride still in Baltimore.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Same story for Mobile, Alabama. Built a nice terminal based on assurances from Carnival, and then they left with almost no notice and we were left holding the tab for it. The city even installed a new, larger gangway when Carnival moved the Holiday out and brought the Elation into Mobile - larger ship surely meant Carnival was here to stay, right? Wrong.

Norfolk is a great port. It is indeed a shame.
2 great ports I agree. However there must be some business reason that Carnival Pulls out. Not filling the ships is a perfect reason. So being a Quality Manager I have to ask the 5 whys. Why 1: Why did Carnival pull out - Not filling ships. Why not filling (2) Bad press and reduction in business. So why these ports are not others (3) Must be something about the ports that don't attract cruisers Not being familiar with the ports themsleves I can't get to Why 4 and 5. But if they could be answered then the port authority might have something to go on. Any thoughts on what the next 2 whys would be? It is quite likely that the ports have done some analysis like this and know what to do. But does it make economic sence for them is their question. Hope things turn around for Norfolk and Mobile
Old 06-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Administrator

The company line on Mobile was the ship sailed at least full and often over 100% (3rd and 4th berths filled) for almost every cruise, but only because the fares were low. They said if they raised fares then the people would stop booking, so they moved Elation to a port where they could charge more and still fill the ship.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:09 PM
Administrator

I don't know about Mobile, yet one of the reasons given for withdrawing from Norfolk and Boston was the environmental provisions that will go into effect in 2015. (It's called the 2015 North America Emission Control Area, or ECA.) I attended a seminar on this topic, yet I'm still far from an expert. It has something to do with the sulfur emissions within a certain distance from the mainland, and as cruises from here (Boston, especially) hug the mainland, that creates a costly situation for the cruise lines.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:06 PM
Administrator

I'm planning to do a column about the ECA. On January 1, 2015, the fuel used within this 200 mile zone will have to have less than 0.1% sulphur. It is currently 1% maximum sulphur. This doesn't sound like a big change but in the fuel refining world it is not that easy and thus the new fuel will be quite expensive and also not in great supply. Baltimore port officials figured it would add $140 per cruise passenger for a Bermuda cruise.

This is a huge game changer. The zone includes the entire Alaska cruise area, all of Hawaii, and as Lisa mentioned, all the Canada/New England cruise area. Gulf coast ports will see roughly half of the Gulf Of Mexico in the zone. Florida ports on the east coast are well positioned to get outside the zone quickly, hence Carnival Glory staying in Miami.

Royal Caribbean and Carnival are looking at adding exhaust scrubbers to their ships which would have the same effect as using the ultra-low sulphur fuel. That technology is used at coal-fired power plants by many electric utilities, and it is also not cheap.

Bottom line is the cost of cruises is fixing to go up for North American markets. Bad new for us. Likely good news for Asia, as if they need more good news.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:02 AM
I just read about this myself. It is bad news for cruises in these areas. Apparently Carnival believes that the increase in fares from ports within the area will results in not filling the ships. I tend to agree. I think we are all in favor of environmental protection but we differ in how to do it and in how quickly to move on it.

Tags
alabama, baltimore, carnival, carval, change, eca, gangway, holiday, leaving, mobile, port