Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/)
-   -   Cruise ship pool drowning. (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/39832-cruise-ship-pool-drowning.html)

PC GUY 10-15-2013 08:28 AM

Cruise ship pool drowning.

How tragic - CNN had this article this morning about a boy that drowned in the pool on the Carnival Victory.

Florida boy, 6, drowns in Carnival cruise ship pool - CNN.com

I think half of the problem is that most people do not recognize the symptoms of a person in distress in the water, and in most cases, people (children) do not gasp for breath or start flailing in the water - they go limp and quiet.

I read one story on the internet where a family was on a snorkeling trip, when the Captain of the boat noticed a girl in distress less than 12 feet from her family. He jumped in fully clothed to rescue her, and while he was swimming towards the family the parents were calling "We are Fine!" and the Captain yelled "MOVE !", they got out of his way, and to their shock/horror and ultimate relief, he went under, and pulled the daughter to the surface. The girl then started crying "Daddy!".

That story opened my eyes as a parent. I had it all wrong myself.

poormom 10-15-2013 12:14 PM

Great points. I know that all the finger pointers will start blaming the parents(who were right there based on what I've read) and Carnival. When really it was just a tragic accident. Kids swim under water. I can absolutely understand how this could happen. And the pools on all the ships I've sailed have been crystal clear. He probably just looked like he was playing initially.

Cruise Fanatic 10-15-2013 12:50 PM

The cruise naysayers are calling for life guards on all cruises. I think that's a bit unrealistic. Think of all the hotel pools in every city in the United States. You don't see life guards at all those pools.

Sonny V 10-17-2013 10:34 PM

My heart goes out for the family, relatives, and friends of the boy that drowned aboard ship. There's really no one to blame, it was a terrible and tragic accident. I know what the parents are going through with their pain and agony. I lost my son when he drowned at the age of two. That was many years ago but my wife and I still feel the pain. I pray that God will give them the strength he has given us.

Sandy 10-18-2013 12:59 PM

Sonny, I am so very, very sorry to hear about your son. I don't know how anyone survives after that kind of tragedy. I'm happy to know that your faith and your family have made it possible to still take joy from life.

PC GUY 10-26-2013 06:19 AM

I am sorry to hear of your loss Sonny. I am a father of two small girls and could never imagine the pain you must have felt.

Here is a link to the original article that I made reference to above. It is a very good read, and like I said before, I had it all wrong.

Drowning Doesn’t Look Like Drowning

jack2007 10-30-2013 03:40 PM

Disney cruise line are probably the first cruise line to place lifeguards on duty at the family pools on Disney Magic & Disney Dream. Their other 2 ships will have lifeguards in place at family pools by the end of next month.
This seems to have been put in place quietly and it may be that Disney have decided to do this as a few months ago a 4 year old nearly drowned on the Disney Fantasy.