Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 10:03 AM
Angry Carnival Splendor Leaving NYC
I have just received notice from Carnival that My two recently booked B2B January 2015 Cruises aboard the Carnival Splendor have been cancelled. The notice states that the Splendor will begin sailing out of Miami in November 2014...there is no indication that Carnival will relocate a replacement vessel for the Port of New York!!! Gee, they were so quick to take the deposits but will be soooo slow to refund. A future cruise credit of $50 is the only thing offered!!! Merry Christmas to me from Carnival!!!

BillyBuzzy
Old 12-19-2013, 12:02 PM
Administrator

This news is so fresh that I think I beat the other cruise writers to the punch in reporting it. Thanks for the scoop, Billy!

I went to the Carnival website and indeed, you can't book a cruise from NY after October 2014.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:13 PM
Dave...I think the news just hit everybody in Travel this morning.....I probably had 10 seconds more warning when I received the notification...Already I have scurried and done some rebooking both on Carnival and upon Celebrity to fill the travel gap...and.....We now have some new ports ahead that We've not been to at all...Maybe this cloud does , indeed , have a silver lining! Interestingly enough, Celebrity is beating Carnivals rates by more than a fair margin!!!

BillyBuzzy
Old 12-19-2013, 04:40 PM
Taking a second guess at Carnival's repositioning of the Splendor....is it possible that Carnival intends to position their new build in NYC to go head to head with NCL's Breakaway and RCCL's Quantum of the Seas???

BillyBuzzy
Old 12-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Administrator

But isn't Carnival Vista not debuting until 2016?
Old 12-19-2013, 06:57 PM
Dave...Yes, checking the Fincanteri Schedule shows a delivery in the Winter of 2016......still Carnival has me wondering the game plan. From the notice I have gotten the Splendor is slated to do "exotic Eastern and Western Caribbean Itineraries" whatever that means????? I expect NYC cruisers like myself will be getting a better overview by early Feb...It is all a sudden mystery to Us!!! Incidentally, my new cruises do not have Us going out of NYC for some time to come now......The savings on airfare alone allowed Us one additional cruise per year!!! It does seem as if Carnival is pulling away from Eastern Home Porting!!! C'est La Vie!!

BillyBuzzy

Last edited by billybuzzy; 12-19-2013 at 06:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-21-2013, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Appears to me that Carnival wants to minimize the time its ships spend in the Emissions Control Area once the clean emissions regulations go into effect (late 2014, early 2015). Perhaps they're still behind in installing scrubbers or their request for an extension was denied? Wouldn't be the first time they've done this.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:31 AM
Administrator

I'd totally forgotten about the new emissions rules.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:36 PM
Are the new emissions criteria applicable to All ships or just cruiseships??? It is hard to imagine the impact upon the vessels of all flags carrying any form of cargo, solid or liquid, if the emissions standards are being equally applied! At first look it appears as though this regulation is discriminating against the cruise industry. There are far more tankers and freighters polluting the harbors and the air than there are cruiseships!!

BillyBuzzy
Old 12-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Lisa.....it is also possible that Carnival is not turning a profit on the Eastern runs to justify maintaining an Eastern Home Port concept. This may have more to do with their decision to pull out of the Northerly East Coast ports more than the Emissions. Of course, by combining the two problems....they are strikes which Carnival probably can not bear financially at the present time!

BillyBuzzy

Tags
2015, b2b, cancelled, carnival, carnivalsplendorbe, cruise, cruises, leaving, moehobbiinfo, ny, nyc, replace, ship, splendor, york