Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2014, 11:36 AM

Default Triumph Review
My wife and I just returned from our 5 night Western Caribbean on the Triumph. We went to Progreso and Cozumel out of Galveston, and I will give you my brief, but thorough review.

EMBARKATION -We parked at EZCruise Parking about 10:30 a.m. and got shuttled to the dock about 10:45 a.m. We met other cruisers who were still disembarking, so we were early. We zipped on thru the check-in, received our sail and sign cards, and sat about 45 minutes before our number was called. We were on the Lido having lunch by 12 noon, which was the fastest we have ever embarked, even without priority boarding or fast-to-the-fun! Way to go Carnival!

STATEROOM - We were on the Empress Deck, room 7-305 midship interior 4F, which was perfect for us on this 5 night. Perfect for a couple. Our stewards were great. We requested ice, and they had it for us twice a day. Also, I asked our room steward to put our luggage in our room when it arrived, if they saw it and had time - not a problem - they put our luggage in the room for us. Extra tip for them! Our room was spotless, always clean and we were taken care of.

FOOD - I think this was the best food we have had so far. We ate in the MDR every night at a round table for eight, and we enjoyed meeting fellow cruisers. Our head waiter and team were excellent and called us by name each night. The meals were all served hot and fresh and very good. We are not fans of the lido breakfast buffet, but I do believe this was the best so far. We did not try the Seaday Brunch. We did get custom made omelets one morning, and they were delicious! Guy's burgers were outstanding. The Blue Iguana Cantina was outstanding with the made to order tacos and burritos. (Try the shrimp with cilantro lime rice burrito.) My wife tried the Chopsticks one day and I had a grilled rueben sandwich off the deli - both were very good. Overall, the food was excellent!

ENTERTAINMENT - The first night show preview was the same as past cruises. Even though it was well rehearsed, it was a repeat for us. The Tuesday and Friday night shows were excellent, though the singers mics were a little too loud. The 10 piece jazz band was great - please keep them Carnival! Also, the illusionist was very good. The night the guest cruisers performed was not so great, but that is not Carnival's fault. You deal with what you have on-board, and they all tried hard.

PORTS OF CALL - We have been to both ports several times, so we did not book any excursions this time - we went on our own. We rode the double decker bus in Progreso, and did some shpooping after we walked around town. We got some great deals after "negotiating". We caught a taxi to Chankanaab Park, and had a restful beach day. I snorkeled while my wife relaxed under the shaded palapa. Was not crowded at all, and we had a great day. Be sure to print your $2 coupon for a discounted entrance (found on several websites if you look).

OVERALL SHIP - The Triumph is in great shape for her age. Very clean and well maintained throughout the entire ship. Carpet was in good shape, all areas were kept spotless. We loved the "around the world" theme. We met the Captain and he so gracious. He asked us about our service and we commended those who has been of great service to us.

DISEMBARKATION - What can I say, nobody likes to leave the ship, but this disembarkation was the smoothest of all we have experienced. We did not choose the self-assist as I did not want to fight the early crowd. When our number was called, everyone went in a very orderly fashion, and we were out the door and to our car within a total time of 90 minutes. We zipped thru Customs with our passport (fellow cruisers take note and get a passport). Was so easy, so thanks Carnival staff and Customs.

We had a great cruise and look forward to our next on a different ship, as we try to book on different one each time. Have fun on the Triumph!
Old 05-14-2014, 11:45 AM

Good Review Rodney! Glad you liked "our" Triumph. Texas hospitality at it's finest. I'm so glad she got 2.0'ed.

I know what you mean about embarkation and debarkation. Galveston is always fast, you just can't complain.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 05-14-2014, 07:18 PM
Rodney..Job Well Done, You deserve a genuine "Atta Boy" for a fine review. It has been several years since We have been aboard the Triumph (2009) and it was gratifying to learn that She is still in fine condition!! Too bad her sister ship , the Victory, has not yet enjoyed the same upgrades as the Triumph!!! Thank You for Your fine inputs and "Keep On Cruisin'!"

BillyBuzzy

Last edited by billybuzzy; 05-14-2014 at 07:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-15-2014, 12:45 PM

I should have mentioned the great appetizers in the MDR. I had the escargot (delicious as always), the alligator fritters (superior) as well as the penne sicialiana and penne mariscos which were both entree or served smaller as a starter. I especially enjoyed the Jamaican jerk chicken entree (which was new to me) as well as the prime rib and lobster. The best dessert I believe was the souffle. Everything was so good. Thanks for all the kind comments. Cruisers are the best!