Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 06:50 AM

The shallow water and reefs are the concern in Grand Cayman, too. However, they could build a nice pier, it would just take some major investment. When we were in Roatan, Royal Caribbean had beaten us to the one slip, so we had to tender. We were on the Magica and she was a very large ship. Costa was very efficient in their tender operations, though. The wait wasn't long at all. We had an excursion through the ship, so we were some of the first to depart. Coming back, no problem at all.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:59 AM

Penny How do you compare Costa to other cruise lines ?
Thanks
Mike
CCL Elation 2005
CCL Pride 2006
RCCI Splendor 2006
RCCI Serenade Hawaii 2007
RCCI Serenade Alaska 2008
CCL Ecstasy 2008
RCCI AOS 2009
RCCI Voyager 2009
CCL Conquest 2010
CCL Ecstasy 2010
Old 07-21-2009, 08:04 AM

I, personally, love Costa. They're Italian, so they don't do everything the way the other lines do as far as catering to clientelle. However, the staff is amazing. They all don't speak English really well, but they will try to help. It's amazing how much a smile will make their day. The food has a definite Italian twist. The ships are very clean, very unique decor, vibrant colors, large cabins (even the insides). We've sailed on them 4 times, and I'd go more often if they spent more time here. When you leave a port, they play Dean Martin's "That's Amore". They have toga night on the last night. They have some great activities, like their passport night. You get a paper passport, then they set up different areas to sample food/wine from the region and stamp your passport.

The things that turn most people off from them are: they are VERY family oriented with LOTS of children on board. Every announcement is in 5 languages and you have to wait through each language outside in your life jacket for muster. They do not pamper you like most cruise lines. I don't want to make it sound like they don't do their job, they do. They just don't go overboard. If you approach them right (not yelling or demanding), they will totally go out of their way. If you treat them, like I've heard far too many passengers treat them, with disrespect, you aren't going to get the time of day from them.

They have the most efficient embarkation of any cruise line we've sailed on. Instead of giving you your shipboard card when you're standing in line, they just take your credit card verify your passport and you're on your way. Your shipboard cards are awaiting you in your cabin. Even if you don't have your card, you can order drinks at the buffet or bars by just signing your cabin number. Here's a link to the Mediterranea pictures. Don't know why I didn't upload the Magica, guess I need to do that. She was beautiful, too!
Old 07-22-2009, 03:33 PM

Penny thanks for the reply..Costa sounds interesting to sail on. May have to try them someday.Thanks for the link. The ships decor looks awsome.
Mike
CCL Elation 2005
CCL Pride 2006
RCCI Splendor 2006
RCCI Serenade Hawaii 2007
RCCI Serenade Alaska 2008
CCL Ecstasy 2008
RCCI AOS 2009
RCCI Voyager 2009
CCL Conquest 2010
CCL Ecstasy 2010
Old 07-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Your shipboard cards are awaiting you in your cabin
I recall that being the way it was done many years back with some line - I want to say Royal Caribbean but maybe it was Celebrity when that was owned by the Chandris family. I do specifically recall our cards being in the cabin and all the cabin doors being ajar on at least one cruise.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:51 PM

One of the best things about the new Cruise Center on Roatan may be the Transportation Hub. It would have to work better than the "system" they have with the old pier. I envision it to be similar to Carnival's rebuilt pier and plaza on Cozumel.

Dwayne
Old 07-25-2009, 05:16 PM
Banned

I just hope I can find Carlos in September
Taxi 272.

I have his business card.....may be I can get a local to call him for me once we arrive.

(IF DJ is in a good mood!!)

Closed Thread

Tags
bay, belize, ccl, cruise, cruisecenter, dock, docking, elation, hawaii, mahogany, mahoganybay, reviews, roatan, schedule, voyager