Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2009, 02:34 PM

I can go into specific details if you wish. All of which do not justify the treatment I received which is my point. As for a comment or help, I am not asking for either. My statements are to the level of customer service by Carnival.
San Diego to Catalina Oct 5-9
Interior Upper Deck
Yes
June
First as I stated they offered to keep $400.00 of my $633.00 and give me a credit of $300.00 toward a future cruise within one year. I was told that I must make a decision by Sept 7 if this option was acceptable. I called back on Sept 4th to accept this offer and was told that they would not honor the first offer. And they would not make any other offer. If I did not take the cruise then they will keep the $400.00 and refund me $230.00. Of which an additional $100.00 was a cancellation fee which as I said earlier the travel agency refused to charge me as they were extremely frustrated as well.
Personal
The insurance only was good for a death in the family or if I was hospitalized or I lost my job. Yes, this was my fault alone for not realizing the insurance was not what I believed it to be. ie. Change in plans get a portion back based on timeframe.
But to go into greater detail of my frustration, look at the decision to retract the offer from a purely business stand point.
Carnival collects $633.00 from me.
I cannot make the cruise, They keep $400.00.
They offer me $300.00 toward a future crusie. (Gain to Carnval $100.00)
I schedule a second cruise, pay lets say $300.00 to $400.00 additional.
(Gain again to Carnival)
I take the Crusie and spend more on board and in shore excursions.
(Gain to Carnival again)
Satisfied customer. (Invalueable to any business).
The change from the original offer to the too bad attitude and the rudeness of the employees is simply not good judgement. I am not looking for a free ride, I was perfetly willing to spend more money with Carnival due to my plans changing.
By the way, your use of the word nebulous was a bit out of context. My point was the treatment that I received by Carnival. Which was unexcusable.
I am not looking for a solution, that ship has sailed (sorry, pun intended or not), if the use of nebulous was an attempt to insult then you missed the mark.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:49 PM

LHP,
You are missing the point. This isn't a case of sour grapes. If you read my comments again it is the treament I received.
Deal with it...? Are you kidding me?
I'm not looking to break any rules!
Yes, I cancelled the cruise. I'm not looking for anything for free.
Defend your cruise line all you want, it doesn't change the rudeness I received, and if you defend that rudeness, then I feel sorry for you. Many people think that it's ok to treat people in such a uncalled for manner, I do not.
In the future ask questions (like Dave did) instead of making statements like those. You may not have understood what I was saying so try and get all the facts before you accuse and insult me.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Administrator

The situation you describe is standard in the cruise industry; it could have occurred on just about any cruise line. Carnival wasn't obligated to offer anything. I'm not defending it, just clarifying this for others.

Let's all play nice, please.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Please note that gratuitous slaps at me for using the word "nebulous" are not necessary. It is an appropriate word and if you were to look around at my other posts you'd know I often use words such as that.

The $100 cancellation fee is between you and the agency you used, and Carnival has nothing to do with it. That money never even went to Carnival. So the truth of the matter is Carnival keeps the $300 deposit, which it is allowed to do under their cancellation policy. Since you canceled in the "60 to 30 day" window Carnival was under no obligation to do anything for you, such as offering to give you that $300 in credits for a future booking.

You say they said you had to take their offer by September 7, and on the 4th they said no deal. So be it. You said/they said. Given the tenor of your posts, it would appear to the casual observer that perhaps the phone calls got contentious on both ends. But that is mere conjecture. In any case, Carnival has lost you and that is too bad.

When you called them initially about the cancellation did you get the name of the person who said "by September 7"?
Old 09-05-2009, 05:46 PM

On our last Carnival Cruise we were on the Pride. It was very early in the morning, you dock around 7am (maybe), we got a call to cancel our excursion, the call was so early it work us up. We walked down to the excursion desk to book another excursion and the desk was closed, as we were already in port.
We did our own thing in Cabo, not a big deal. I did stop by the desk when we got back onboard and moaned a little about the early morning cancel.Turns out the excursion Vender cancelled the excursion that morning, lack of people booking. I noted that if we only have a 24 hour cancellation windown, why doesn't the vender have the same. They gave us 25% off of all our excursions for the entire cruise, and we have a few that were $$$. We did not ask for this or expect it, but we took it .
Carnival has always been good to us.
BTW Carnival might have been getting $100, but they were losing a lot more than that.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:03 AM
Dave - It is quite obvious that this post is a gratuitous attempt to compliment you on your semi-frequent use of the term nebulous in an otherwise less than fortuitous situation! Please be kind enough to remain oblivious to this ridiculous attempt to add humor to something that seems....well...obsequious!!! We all need to be more cautious to avoid things so nefarious!

I hope you find this post...delicious!!

BillyBuzzy
Old 09-06-2009, 05:57 AM

Well, I certainly don't condone rude behavior. As someone who knows Carnival's Cancellation Policy thoroughly, Dave is correct. The deposit is $150pp on 4 night cruises. Cancellation within the 60 to 30 day window, as Dave said is forfeiture of the deposit. I would have jumped on the offer of the future cruise credit, and said Thank You Carnival for going against your own policy and offering me this.

I am stumped about the extra $100. If this was a cancellation fee imposed by the Travel Agency it had nothing to do with Carnival. Now, if the poster is wrong about this, another scenario is this was an Early Saver booking. Thus, a $50pp administrative will be applied to change the cruise and they deducted it in lieu of generously offering the future cruise credit equal to the deposit that they didn't have to.

I recently had to pay mine upfront to change my Early Saver booking. They didn't waive it for me and I didn't expect them to. I didn't get upset about it at all because I was aware of the rules for making this type of booking. If this was an Early Saver booking, the beef should be with the TA for not explaining how it works. Just my 1.5 cents.

Dwayne
Old 09-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I hope you find this post...delicious!!Smile
Eminently!
Old 09-07-2009, 12:42 PM

Wow, did I ever have Deja Vu reading "Not a fan of CCl's post". Seems it wasn't all that long ago we had another poster very similar case. They owned a business and they were mad at CCL, and they were going to tell the world too. It's pretty sad in both these cases their lives are so empty they are willing to spend the rest of it trying to convince people not to book with CCL.
Bottom line. An Early Saver NON-REFUNDABLE Deposit was booked, They cancelled for a non-covered reason with insurance. The rules of both these should have been explained up front by the Travel Agency.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:32 PM
I think that CCL needs to more clearly emphasize the non-refundable nature of the "Early Saver" Fares in all its various methods of advertising and booking a cruise. In this age of Electronic media ... certain items, particularly notification of penalties, are not always sufficiently posted to put the buyer on alert.

To say "Caveat Emptor"(Let The Buyer Beware) is whitewashing the nature of the transaction- It is incumbent upon the seller to adequately stress the penalties of a careless/frivolous purchase to the unwary and naive buyer. Perhaps an additional commitment line should be posted by the electronic sales media to be electonically initialled by the electronic purchaser(i. e.the check off block should not be considered as a proper acknowledgement!). If a TA is used - then the issue should be with the TA and not with the carrier!

It is not the purpose of this website to judge or adjudicate the issues put forth here but it is well to put our fellow cruisers on alert to read the small print before clicking the "I accept" button!

BillyBuzzy

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cruise, customer, customers, easy, line, lines, poor, records, refund, reviews, rules, saver, service, track