Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Cabin stewards are very proud of their jobs and they take their task seriously. You could stack money, jewelry, and Buffett tickets on your nightstand and the only thing that might happen is the steward may have wiped the dust from the items.
They found a gold ring once for me. I thought I had lost it onshore. Apparently I had lost it in the cabin. I had given up ever seeing it again. After dinner it was sitting on the bathroom vanity on a tissue.

I hope they have the new number code safes on the Dream. The card swipe ones are a little inconvenient when you need something and the other person has the card.

Dwayne
Old 03-23-2009, 04:24 AM

So Dwayne, does that mean we will only get one card? I am assuming here that it would be the same card to open the room, charge drinks, etc.? That would mean I would have to spend time aboard with my wife!!! I am hoping there is a way to get more than one such card, and preserve my sanity in the process...LOL!!!

Thanks!!
Kevin

Carnival Dream April 2010
Old 03-23-2009, 10:02 AM
Everyone gets their own card, even babies. This will be used for room door, getting on & off ship, & to purchase items with. The card everyone else is refering to is the card that you use to open the safe with. It can be any type of card that has a magnetic strip on the back. You could even use an old Wal-Mart gift card. I wouldn't use a credit card though. Just remember whatever card you use that is the one that will open & close the safe.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
So Dwayne, does that mean we will only get one card? I am assuming here that it would be the same card to open the room, charge drinks, etc.?
No, everyone will get a card as MACLEODC pointed out. They actually don't want you to use the Sail & Sign card for the safe. Just use a gift card or other with a magnetic strip.

Dwayne
Old 03-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Administrator

And this all goes back to the "who has the card" question, since only one card will work on the safe then only one person will have the card unless you leave it in a cabin drawer.

I wish they'd totally retrofit all ships to remove the card reader safes. Every time we've had a problem getting a safe to open it was one of these types. On one cruise someone from the purser's staff had to open our safe three times.

Isn't the reason for not using the Sail & Sign card a security precaution? The concern is if you lost your card someone could not only enter your room but also open the safe.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:13 PM

I've never understood the security reason agruement about not using the S&S card for the safe. (And note that even if you did, the SAME S&S card would be required to reopen it. The other S&S assigned to the room would not) The S&S card does not have a cabin # on it. If lost, a devious person would have to try it on every cabin on the ship until they found the one it worked on. On the Dream, that's a lot of cabins! And it would look suspicious to be walking down the hallways trying a card in each door...

I have used the S&S card in the past with no issues. BUT having said all of that, I do prefer the "code number" style safes better simply because you then don't need to carry a card around and it solves the "which card did we use on the safe" discussions.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 03-23-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I've never understood the security reason agruement about not using the S&S card for the safe. (And note that even if you did, the SAME S&S card would be required to reopen it. The other S&S assigned to the room would not) The S&S card does not have a cabin # on it. If lost, a devious person would have to try it on every cabin on the ship until they found the one it worked on.
That's true. There has to be some reason for them not wanting people to use it. I use to think it might have something to do with the steward's master key card. Then I ruled that out. In this day and age of sleazy grifting, maybe they are just covering themselves.

Dwayne
Old 03-23-2009, 07:54 PM

Speaking of the Sail & Sign cards....

Here is link to the new ones according to John Heald.

I have also seen another version with the same design, with full colors for blue, gold, and platinum.

Dwayne
Old 04-16-2009, 09:31 AM

Reason for not using S&S card for safe is simply that you may just happen to lose(drop) it as you are leaving you stateroom and that 1 not so honest person on board will be the one to see that. And need I say more? I am quite sure I used a card once of which my wife and I had the same card and it worked with both cards.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:11 AM

I like the safes you can enter a 4 or 6 digit number into better than the card swipe ones.

Closed Thread

Tags
cabin, carnival, charge, cost, cruise, cruises, dream, items, leave, princess, room, safe, safes, ship, staterooms, valueables