Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2004, 05:38 AM

After reading several reviews, I believe that you do not have to check your luggage in when you leave, you can carry it off yourself. Can someone let me know if this is accurate?
Old 06-29-2004, 05:38 AM

After reading several reviews, I believe that you do not have to check your luggage in when you leave, you can carry it off yourself. Can someone let me know if this is accurate?
Old 06-29-2004, 11:07 AM

Yes, that is the case. I learned the hard way. When you leave the ship take your luggage with you. I left my luggage in Carnival's care and they lost it.
Andy
Old 06-29-2004, 03:06 PM
you do not need to check luggage when you leave ship you may carry it off with you but that leaves you open to customs search, as they randomly select passengers and delay you while they check your lugguge I know that a few people had extra liquer they bought in thier luggage and it was confiscated I guess if you are not declaring anything it ok.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:24 PM

If you do decide to check it in be sure that the bag is distinctivly marked so that it can not be claimed by anyone else, which I feel is what happened to mine.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:25 PM

I always make it a point to carry my luggage off the ship personally. The entire color bag tag debarkation process is about the luggage, not the passengers. If you carry your luggage off yourself, you can leave when you want. I just debarked the Millennium in Barcelona a couple of days ago in the very first group and was at my hotel by 8:45 am. Getting off early means no wait for a taxi and no crowds in the baggage claim area.

Further you never lose control of your stuff, which is a huge benefit. I would always pack a carry-on with enhough stuff to get you through the first 24 hours in addition to anything valuable you do not want to check with the porters when embarking the ship.

In this way, you can start enjoying the cruise immediately without having to wait for your luggage to be delivered to your cabin. Board, have a great lunch and then hit the Jacuzzi with no worry.

Have a great cruise!

Tom
Old 07-10-2004, 11:36 PM

I have never carried my own luggage off the ship, but our first trip we flew home from Acapulco (on Princess lines) and our luggage took alternate routes. We did get them, and they had been gone through and we found that someone's idea of a joke was to switch the colored tags and destinations for the bags. All 3 went different places, but eventually came home. Only one thing missing, not of great value. The other times sailed round trip from the U.S., and had no probs. We are taking a Sept 04 cruise ending in Honolulu, and WILL be taking our bags off as we have plans after the cruise.

Good info. Jill

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Ogg:
I always make it a point to carry my luggage off the ship personally. The entire color bag tag debarkation process is about the luggage, not the passengers. If you carry your luggage off yourself, you can leave when you want. I just debarked the Millennium in Barcelona a couple of days ago in the very first group and was at my hotel by 8:45 am. Getting off early means no wait for a taxi and no crowds in the baggage claim area.

Further you never lose control of your stuff, which is a huge benefit. I would always pack a carry-on with enhough stuff to get you through the first 24 hours in addition to anything valuable you do not want to check with the porters when embarking the ship.

In this way, you can start enjoying the cruise immediately without having to wait for your luggage to be delivered to your cabin. Board, have a great lunch and then hit the Jacuzzi with no worry.

Have a great cruise!

Tom

Closed Thread

Tags
bag, baggage, carnival, carry, check, checks, cruise, filnjil, leave, line, lines, luggage, norwegian, questions, type