Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/)
-   -   Carnival CEO: Bigger isn't better (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/4235-carnival-ceo-bigger-isnt-better.html)

Dave 10-07-2009 12:17 PM

Carnival Corporation CEO Micky Arison yesterday told Travel Weekly that "some people want a holiday in the malls of America, and others want to be on a cruise." <zing!> He said Carnival has no plans to compete with Royal Caribbean on a size basis.

According to Travel Weekly UK, Arison also said "with big ships you have less flexibility in terms of the ports you can visit. We study these things because we want ships that can go into lots of ports and places."

You can read more about it at Gene Sloan's USA Today blog

Sandy 10-07-2009 12:21 PM

Mr. Arison said Carnival won't build a ship bigger than the Oasis. I wonder if this means they'll build one equal in size?

penny3333 10-07-2009 12:58 PM

I tend to agree with him, bigger doesn't mean better. I would rather have a variety or ports both for visiting and for embarking than the same old, same old. The Epic and the Solstice are doing itineraries that we have done countless times, but I wanted to see the ships. If I ever went on the Oasis, it would be just to see the ship. I doubt I would return to these ships, unless there was a good itinerary.

Jim C. 10-07-2009 01:49 PM

I agree that bigger does not mean better. I also considered the open promenade design of the RCI ships to be an incredible waste of space. While it makes the ship's size bigger, it does not in itself provide anything other than open space.

I'd rather go to smaller ports and experience local culture than only go to the large established ports that the mega ships can dock at.

Dave 10-07-2009 02:01 PM

I'll bet RCI is using that open space in their gross tonnage calculations too. Many people think that when they say a ship is XXX tons it is a measure of weight, when it is actually a measure of the volume of the ship's enclosed spaces. Taken liberally, the promenade can be considered "enclosed" by the surrounding cabins and other spaces.

LHP 10-07-2009 02:43 PM

Carnival Corporation already has BIG ships in its fleet with the Cunard line.

A Trans Atlantic would be the only time I would want to be on a larger ship.

I think the Spirit class is perfect!!!

Dwayne 10-07-2009 07:07 PM

Actually, Micky has been saying that for several years now. It proved to be a wise business decision to put the "Pinnacle Project" on the back burner, and instead invest money in "Evolutionizing" the Fantasy Class ships. The Dream and Magic are about as big as I'd like to see them go with.

Dwayne

richjester 10-08-2009 10:35 AM

Yep! I miss Holiday already. I love the Fantasy & Sensation. Planning on the Spirit next year.

Dwayne 10-09-2009 12:25 AM

I bet you'll love the Spirit! http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...on_biggrin.gif

The Spirit Class ships are laid out the best so far of the classes in my opinion.

Dwayne

Casanova frankenstein 10-09-2009 05:57 PM

Well I like this carnival view "bigger is not always better"

I can tell you there are few things I'll like to see on a ship taht does not involve big ships;

1. A roller coaster, have you ever been on a video roller coaster where the seats movement give you the idea you are really moving when you are not? I think this was on Florida Disney world or something like that...How about that in a ship for the kids?

2. You can put like "The big FAN" apparatus that pull you up, giving you the idea of flying and integrate some view from the top of the ship, i don't know but it can be a great family fun.

3. How about a astronomy observatory on the top of the ship?? like a planetary??

4. How about a PS3 on the plasma on the top of the carnival victory??

these ideas can improve cruising life without creating bigger ships...