Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Administrator

As many have said recently, they are working in a more challenging environment than space. Space is comparatively simple - the biggest problems being existing in a near vacuum, inertial navigation, and dealing with cosmic radiation. The BP situation is an extremely volatile environment involving hydraulics, thermodynamics...it is truly an engineering challenge that has never been seen before. People like to use the moon landings as a gold standard for engineering and think we can solve everything because of it. It simply isn't so.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:32 PM

I guess I'm one of those that use the moon as a gold standard for engineering. My uncle worked for Litton and designed the antennas for communication on the Apollo missions.

I am tempted to run for the State Legislature to help make sure this doesn't happen off the coast of South Carolina. I'd probably get a few votes at least. Not sure if it would make a difference with the federal laws though.

Dwayne
Old 05-25-2010, 07:38 AM
Administrator

I have become quite a pessimist over the recent years. In WWII America created the largest most powerful military force the world has ever seen. We built the atomic bomb in around 3 years. And of course there was Project Apollo. I don't think we could do any of it today.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:18 AM

Oil leaks into the ocean every day, naturally. Probably not from one single source, like this leak, but the total quantity for the day is the same as this. What do they do about the natural leaking? Is this well going to run dry? If they have the technology to drill and set up their equipment to take the oil to the surface, then the technology surely must exist to plug the hole. They've got one tube in there putting oil in a tanker. Can they add a couple more tubes? Do they need more tankers?

This all sounds bogus to me. I do not understand the political games being played while they're killing off resources to play it. I'm glad to see someone finally remembered the 11 people that were killed in this tragedy. Mississippi is holding a memorial for those who died. I've never heard the reason for the explosion. Have they ever determined what happened?
Old 05-25-2010, 09:59 AM
Administrator

I think I heard about half of what is leaking from the well enters the Gulf daily - from thousands of natural sources. Of course it is so widespread that it isn't noticeable.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:50 AM

where is the secrets of Red Adair when we need them?
Old 05-25-2010, 02:06 PM

Dave
I agree we could not do it today. We don't have the will power or the resources to do it. Almost all of our manufacturing facilities are gone as well as most of our railroads. The young people today do not have the will to fight the way we did. Oh there are a few but not the number needed.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
We don't have the will power or the resources to do it.
Exactly. There are too many selfish people today who have no clue what it means to commit themselves to something more important than themselves. Try to do a big project like Apollo today and it would be wallowing in lawsuits before the first year was over. People would be on the internet and cable news making all sorts of allegations just to enrich themselves. They'd probably have to make the rocket gantry wheelchair accessible. PETA would demand that the astronauts meals be meat-free. And then there is the carbon footprint of those Saturn 5 rockets!
Old 05-25-2010, 03:27 PM

Not to get political, but I see the point. As a kid and teen I worked my butt off planting trees on strip jobs in the boy scouts, and doing fund raising for the Lions (Leo) club. Now a days most of the kids have their mind on internet socializing and playing video games. They wouldn't have a clue about doing anything that wasn't self serving. You can see the idiots being raised on Judge Judy daily. I watched one episode where someone was suing another over an Xbox. I thought what brats!, and what is the US coming to?

If they did the things I used to do on a volunteer basis they'd probably think it was a harsh punishment.

Dwayne
Old 05-28-2010, 08:47 PM

I was on the cruise that was delayed in leaving New Orleans and it was not a problem at all. We stayed on time with the whole cruise. It was a great cruise!!

Closed Thread

Tags
april, arlean, carnival, cruise, date, delays, eve, leaving, orleans, reviews, saturday, ships, takes, time, triumph