Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Man, that is quite a boat too! More like a small ship.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:24 AM

Gee, wonder who got fired over that?
Old 12-10-2009, 08:37 AM

This is a good case for all SPIRIT class ships in the future. LOL
Old 12-10-2009, 10:32 AM

USAToday's cruise log is reporting it this morning. Here is a link.

They are saying the port plans to remove the structure that prevented the Dream from docking.

Dwayne
Old 12-10-2009, 03:45 PM

Man, that sucks. I'm not sure if I would have wanted to be a passenger on this ship. Don't know if Carnival is going to be getting complaints or not from passengers asking for a credit since they anticipated a port of call, but were unable to attend that port of call.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 12-10-2009, 05:40 PM

Personally it wouldn't have been a real big deal for me. Nothing against San Juan at all, I just probably wouldn't have had any big plans. That's just me though. I was actually previously booked on this cruise. I'm sure it could have been for others though that had definitive plans for the day. Carnival will at the minimum refund the Government Taxes and Fees for the missed port via an on board ship credit.

There is an overwhelming amount of experienced cruisers on this particular cruise. They have probably missed a few ports before and know the routine, and that it can happen. This was a little different type of scenario though involving a lack of planning on Carnival's part.

I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Dwayne
Old 12-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Administrator

As an aside, the Oasis had docking problems at Charlotte Amalie this week. They had an hour delay because they needed to adjust the gangway to fit to the ship. New ships in new ports...these things happen. Reading the media accounts you'd think these two items had doomed cruising for the rest of time.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:03 PM

The best thing to do in these situations is just go with the flow. There is nothing you can do, so enjoy the day at Sea!
Old 12-11-2009, 05:27 PM

I agree. I've missed several ports over the years. A few years ago on the Legend we missed Grand Cayman due to high waves. I was a bit disappointed (not mad) about that as I had my day all planned out and a non ship Stingray City excursion. In retrospect it is a little funny as I ran upstairs to get coffee early that morning without realizing the ship was still moving. Before the crew member handed me an update flyer I saw we were at sea and asked him why we were still moving.

Anyways, all you can do is go with the flow as vietvet said and make the best of it.

Dwayne
Old 12-12-2009, 08:18 AM
FELIZ NAVIDAD!!!

Is been a lot of time since my last post, work, phd, the stress is killing me SORRY, actually I am at the moment on finals but this situation is a good reason to post back Until I finish my finals. I'LL BE BACK PRETTY SOON AS SOON AS I FINISH MY FINALS

Here is the deal Carnival Dream is not too big to fit in our port, but that particular day it was because of the port transit, I can say that there was a port place that can fit the DREAM but it was occupied at the moment by a "Costa cruise" and yes we have a MORON directing the port autorities and for all as it looks he will be fire pretty soon THANK GOD.

As for the importance to the island;

Well here is what I can say the News over the last few days were

"How the goverment is going to deal with our tourist image"

"how can they let this happen"

our goverment is under a lot of preasure because of the situation and they are trying to make fast "changes" in order to fix it or this will cost them the election...

Many people on the island, like myself, think this was a BIG PROBLEM!!! and the Govermment knows it. In my case I was deciding either to post or not about it, we feel very bad because of this.

What will happen in the future:

the goverment had make an agrement ($$$) with carnival and they are going to make a new port in order to fit the Carnival Dream and the others Carnival mega cruises in the near future.
There is a big rumor about that we will get Carnival Dream as Home port in two years and that is why they are going to make a new port facilities, but like I say this was just a rumor on the news...

We also have a problem with the NEW RCCL cruises but RCCL have the Isla Grande facility and they are saying they are going to develop a new facility for the NEW RCCL MEGA CRUISES as well.

The idea our goverment is developing:

Puerto Rico Will change its ports in order to be the Home port for the new mega cruisers and also we are in negociations we new cruise lines, even from Europe, that normally are not departing from USA.

Like you said San Juan is getting a little less exciting well here are our goverment plans:

They are going developing, at the moment, to more ports for cruises:

PONCE, actually their first cruise ship will arrive on January 4 from Holland cruises and probably it will be a dstination port pretty soon and Carnival Dream can Fit on their facilities also at the moment.

MAYAGUEZ: We have a sport event on 2010 and this will sound odd but there will be a lot of cruise ship, even from carnival, used as hotels during the activities, so they are working with the port facilities in order to make this happen.

So as you can see CRUISE LINES will get a lot of action here in Puerto Rico for the next few years and we hope this situation will not change your view of our island we are looking foward to have you as our vistors...

Closed Thread

Tags
big, carnival, dock, dream, heald, john, juan, san