Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2009, 10:36 AM

Okay, got it.

I've noticed that people are now taking larger and larger carryons to avoid paying a checked baggage fee. And these large bags are not fitting in the overhead bins well and they take up more room so one overhead bin isn't big enough for the row.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:54 AM

Yeah Maurine I noticed that too. What some folks consider "carry-on," is funny to me. I used to be one of those but when they stopped letting me take my cosmetic case(filled with lotions and potions) on board, it made my carry on so much lighter! That is my big goal for the next cruise, cut out the "stuff." I really don't need or use all of it. But I love having it all with me....
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006
CCL Ecstasy-2006
Enchantment of the Seas-2006
Adventure of the Seas-2007
Enchantment of the Seas-2007
Grandeur of the Seas-2009
Radiance of the Seas-2009
Celebrity Century-2010
Old 11-06-2009, 11:26 AM

That's so funny as I am getting ready to head out to San Juan tomorrow and for the first time I have decided to cut the luggage to checking one and carrying one. In the past I have always checked everything and taken a direct flight so never thought much about having to carry it all on. When packing this "carry on" it brought back memories of all these people trying to close compartments when their carry on was still sticking out and was very obvious that it was not going to fit. Or someone opening up a compartment door only to find their space already way to full and wishing they had never opened it and wondering how to get it closed again. Anyway, as packing this I have decided that as you have, I am cutting what I used to take in half. If I run out of clothes I will just have to wash something. What do you really need anyways
Old 11-06-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Or someone opening up a compartment door only to find their space already way to full
On a recent flight, I got to my row and I was the first person to reach that row on either side. I opened the overhead bin--it was full. So was the one on the opposite side and all the ones adjacent to it. There was no one sitting in row 9 at that time so I knew the stuff didn't belong to anyone in that row. I asked, "Whose stuff is this?" No one answered. I told the flight attendant that my bin was full. She said there was plenty of room in the back bins and I could put my stuff there. I must have gone back at least 9 rows to put my stuff. I wasn't happy.

Plus, one of the bags in the bin over my head didn't fit well and the lid had trouble closing. In fact it popped open while the plane was moving. Attendant saw it as she was sitting down and came and closed it.

At end of flight I had to wait for people to leave to go retrieve my stuff. A couple people from zone 2 came to my bin and got their bags and one guy from way in the back quickly walked down the aisle and grabbed his bag from my bin. I said something to the flight attendant about that. She said he shouldn't have put his stuff there. Duh.

No wonder there was room in the back bins. People who had those seats had put their bags up front.

When I get a seat assignment, I get first dibs on my bin. If it's full because other people in the row have their stuff in it, that's one thing, but it should not be full because people want to be able to get off the plane quickly.

Next time I'm just going to take their stuff out.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:19 PM

I think I did really well when I packed for my last cruise. I wore everything I took except for one shirt and one dress and I only had to check one suitcase. I'm the queen of overpacking so I am pretty proud of myself.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Administrator

I've been on airplanes where the overhead bin for my seat was useless since it contained electronic boxes for the entertainment system. I've also had seats where the bin was filled with emergency gear. So I had no choice but to use other space. I hated it because I know how annoying it can be, but I had no choice and I was there first.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:43 PM

Congrats on not over packing, like I said I'm trying it this time and like you, always take way too much but when I look around and see people with 2 suitcases I think it could be worse!

I am hoping to avoid having to put my carry on in the back of the plane as you found out there is no way your going to get back there until everybody is off the plane I doubt that the airlines will do anything about people taking your bins as it has a lot to do with the charges on your checked in luggage that is causing people to bring more on with them. Although I have to say, there have always been those that want to bring on everything they own with them so that they don't have to wait for it and probably always will be.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:01 PM

"There are two kinds of luggage, carry on and lost luggage."

With that quote, I understand why some folks take the stuffed carry ons. The guy sitting next to me on the flight home from CA brought a carry on on board. There was no room, and they checked it, and it was waiting for on the gangwway when we got off. He told that was his plan all along, he is last to board they take it from him and give it back right away.
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006
CCL Ecstasy-2006
Enchantment of the Seas-2006
Adventure of the Seas-2007
Enchantment of the Seas-2007
Grandeur of the Seas-2009
Radiance of the Seas-2009
Celebrity Century-2010
Old 11-06-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I doubt that the airlines will do anything about people taking your bins as it has a lot to do with the charges on your checked in luggage that is causing people to bring more on with them. Although I have to say, there have always been those that want to bring on everything they own with them so that they don't have to wait for it and probably always will be.
It doesn't negate the fact that the airline personnel aren't doing their jobs. They should enforce the rules. They shouldn't be letting people bring on everything just because they don't want to check it. If the rules say one carry on roll bag and a personal item (purse, laptop); and a person has two carry ons and personal item; then they should be made to check the extra bag. It would make more room for the legal bags, alleviate a lot of frustration of passengers who follow the rules, and maybe get people in their seats faster.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Administrator

I still remember this rather pompous looking couple on a flight from ATL to HSV. In fact, although we didn't know it at the time Penny and I were both aboard. Anyway, these two showed up at the gate with two rolling bags each, plus the personal items. They went right up and stood at the line even though we still had 30 minutes until boarding. They were going to be first aboard, and they were (first class, which is where I was). This was an MD-88 which has a small first class section. Those two jokers took up two full bins, because they simply were not going to have anything under the seat to interfere with their legroom. And so other first class passengers had to use overhead space in the main cabin, which cascaded. It really burned me up.

Closed Thread

Tags
burned, legend, passangers, seas