Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 08:34 PM

Has the food offering changed to help them save money.

My first cruise was in 2006 on the Victory, I could not believe what they were offering all day long on the lido deck. Besides the large buffet, the deli & the chine food, the pizza station and the grill the two small buffets by the pool were going most of the day with food of the nations ( a different country every day).

This continued on the Liberty in 2008 with much more in the way of variety because the Liberty had a fish station and they also had another large buffet on board.

Sadly , last year on the Destiny it seamed to me that they cut down on variety a great deal, the two small buffets by the pools only served hamburgers, hot dogs and chicken fingers every day.

Am I right ? or was I just being over critical.

I keep seeing mentions about cut backs, what should I be expecting in Jan 2010 on the Victory coming out of San Juan. Not only in the food but in other services.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:37 AM

you will not have a problem finding food, a great choice of things to eat.
I think there are more things to worry about then is there gonna be enough food to eat. the only thing i see different is the midnight buffet, it is no more.
You should be worrying about how to get everything in your suitcase so you dont pay the extra baggage fees.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:24 PM

I would have to agree with macmom 111, the additional fees for your luggage concerns me much more than running out of food. There are still plenty of options for dining and in my opinion way to much food wasted because of all the options. As long as they still offer my most naughty treat of the choc. melting cake it's all good!

I'm out of here in one week to be on the Victory heading out from San Juan
Old 10-31-2009, 05:55 PM
Well I cannot tell you about carnival victory but since I already travel this route on carnival Destiny this is mostly what i have found on my last cruise,
They have the midnight buffet but it will be only one night during your cruise and they will have enought food for you.
during the other nights
don't get me wrong you will have food but will be mostly pizza, hot dogs and hamburgers not bad if you are looking just to "kill" hunger but it is not what it use to be...
Old 10-31-2009, 09:29 PM

I wasnít complaining about the amount of food, and I donít think I ever went to the midnight buffet.

My observation was the lack of variety; man does not live by burger alone.

As for baggage fees don't get me started.

I keep reading about other cut backs, like no capt partys, no pins, what else have they cut back on?
Old 11-01-2009, 03:28 PM

Not wanting to sound like a Carnival Cheerleader here, but there still is a Captains party. But they they don't have it on formal night. Instead, the Captain and officers mingle about on the promenade deck where you can actual stop and talk with them instead of being rushed through a line. Tis worked fairly well. They offer discounted drinks during this time also. Then on the last sea day they hold a meet and greet party where they offer the free drinks. Pins- they are still available but you have to buy them. They were supposed to still offer the pins to the Platinum members guests but we are still trying to figure out what the actual story is here. But to be honest I am not sure the "no pins" thing is that big of a deal. Many people wasted them and probably won't miss them.

I don't think they cut back on any food on the Victory. All the variety was still there. Yes, the true midnight gala buffet is gone, but that is the case on most of the main cruise lines. They do have late night buffet on the lido deck during their deck parties, but it is no where near a gala buffet.

They still have lobster and prime rib on formal night and most of their "normal" food offering have gone unchanged. With the exception of escargot. This was swapped out for a stuff mushroom substitute on our last two cruises.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 11-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
With the exception of escargot. This was swapped out for a stuff mushroom substitute on our last two cruises.
That bothers me.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:18 AM

Me too. I like them and it was the only time I was able to indulge. Hopefully they will bring them back OR it was just on that ship?

Any one else been on a recent cruise that still served Escargot?
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 11-02-2009, 05:52 PM

I posted the latest on the Captain's party here . It varies on the class of Carnival ship you are on.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:33 PM

Mess with my prime rib... no problem. Mess with my New York strip... no problem. Heck, even mess with my lobster tails... no problem. Mess with my escargot... NOW we have an issue. Substituting a stuffed mushroom cap for escargot is tantamount to substituting Cold Duck for Dom Perignon. Maybe it's the epicurean side of me coming out but, suffice to say, I would be seeking out the maitre d' on this meal malfunction.

Closed Thread

Tags
burned, legend, passangers, seas