Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 08:36 AM
we where watching fox news sunday morning. they said they where in trinadad for the obama speech for the americas summit.and in the background there was a princess and a carnival cruise ship. i have searched to see which carnival ship it was.and i cant find it. does anyone know anything about this, we thought it was the victory but i cant find the itenary for it..

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-19-2009, 02:43 PM

Yes, it is the Carnival Victory. The reason there is no itinerary listed is because the ship was chartered to be used as lodging for the summit attendees. That one stumped me too.

Dwayne
Old 04-19-2009, 06:28 PM
that was some charter!!! they need to go there.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-19-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
that was some charter!!! they need to go there.
I am not sure about this, I think Carnival had Trinidad & Tobago as a port several years ago. They stopped calling on St. Croix in 2002 due to the crime level when some crew members were beat there. I think it was around the same time they dropped Trinidad & Tobago as a port for the same reason. Again, I am not sure and my memory is not as good as it once was. It sure looks beautiful. Maybe someone knows for sure why it isn't offered on the Southern Caribbean itineraries.

Dwayne
Old 04-20-2009, 02:36 AM
Trinidad y Tobago for all I know is more a money reason either way I only hope they don't change the Carnival victory itinerary and leave Puerto Rico behind I really want to cruise in that ship...
Old 04-20-2009, 05:34 AM

Cas,

I don't think you ever have to worry about Carnival leaving SJU. I believe they will always have a ship departing from SJU for Southern Caribbean itineraries.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:18 AM

Princess does a southern Caribbean itinerary that calls on Trinidad. (Last year the Royal docked in Tobago). It's like New York City in Port of Spain, really congested. There are probably a few reasons this is not a port called on very often. 1. The port is small and very dirty. 2. There aren't any good beaches there. 3. There's a very limited amount of excursions offered. When we were there we did the Botanical Garden and Angoustura Factory. It was a great tour. 4. The island doesn't do a whole lot on tourism, oil is their main source of revenue. 5. High crime rate, although we never felt threatened. 6. The more "touristy" area is too far from the port and you're not there long enough to reach it.

I'm glad to see our tax dollars being well spent on chartering a cruise ship to use as a hotel.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:43 PM

We were on the Victory Apr 5-12, just before it went to Trinidad. They said it would be there for the week and then another private charter before going back into service Apr 26 I think. The crew was advised to stay on board if possible in Trinidad due to the issues there. While on board, they were cleaning up the ship, including replacing all curtains. The ship was used for journalists primarily we were told and there are ads out there for the nightly rate while they were there.
Just a few tidbits.
Nov. 2006- Carnival Paradise
Apr 2007- Celebrity Century
June 2007- Carnival Paradise
November 2007- Carnival Paradise
March 2008- Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas
June 2008- Holland America Oosterdam (Alaska)
August 2008, Carnival Victory (Canada)
October, 2008 Carnival Paradise (Mexico)
November 2008, Carnival Imagination, Key West/Cozumel
February 2009, Disney Wonder (Bahamas)
April 2009, Carnival Victory (S.Caribbean)
Coming Soon- June 2009, HAL Eurodam (Northern Europe)
Coming Soon- Nov.2009 Disney Wonder (Bahamas)

Closed Thread

Tags
beaches, cruise, cruises, don, oil, port, ships, spain, tobago, trinadad