Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2002, 05:06 PM

We are planning on taking the cruise in September and have 5 teenage girls ages 14 -16 Is it safe to let them wonder around with out adult supervision? Are ther activities geared toward teens?
Thank-you
Old 07-23-2002, 05:06 PM

We are planning on taking the cruise in September and have 5 teenage girls ages 14 -16 Is it safe to let them wonder around with out adult supervision? Are ther activities geared toward teens?
Thank-you
Old 07-23-2002, 08:38 PM

Allison..
I think that you shuld let them go with you on your trip...I dont think that they can get in to much trouble..they have so many people aboard who watches them..so you dont have nothing to worry...
friends,
Kayla Maria Billiot

Kayla Maria Billiot
Old 07-23-2002, 10:33 PM

On our 2nd cruise we had one teenager sailing with us. He basically sat up on the deck all night and had a blast. He came back to the room every night around 2:00. They can't sneak off anywhere. The only places they can really go are up on deck, the 24 hour pizzeria or the dance club. I wouldn't worry about them.
Old 07-24-2002, 11:11 AM

We just booked our cruise for January and we are taking a 16 year old girl and boy/girl twins that are 14! I think they will hang out together and be safe. Friends have said to just let them go on the ship and have a blast. They can't go far! I would love to know how you do with your teen!
Old 07-25-2002, 02:40 PM

On our Alaskan cruise I saw a young teen couple who had kindled an on-board romance. With a little bit of personality and charm, the guy had no problem obtaining a rum and coke whenever he wanted it.

I would take my daughter (or daughters if I had more than one) without a second thought. However, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] I would also set the same rules as at home. And if they were on deck at 2 a.m., I'd check to make sure they were enjoying the evening air.

Having your own basketball team will help. They will never be alone, and less likely to hook-up with a problem. But I don't know if I or the crew would recommend completely turning your back, just because "they can't go too far."
Old 07-25-2002, 10:00 PM

We recently returned from an Alaskan cruise on Holland America. We took 7 teenagers ranging in age from 13 to 17. Our daughter and two other young teens were approached by a worker, who asked to show them around. He took them into a Staff Only area, asked them their names, ages and cabin numbers. Afterwards, he began calling the girls and asking them for dates! The situation was reported to security and the worker was removed from the ship.

I recommend that adolesent girls be on guard. Precautions which are taken at home, should be taken on a cruise ship. Parents need to set curfews, have a good idea where teens are and who they are with. Our teens attended the Club Hal events and got to know the other teens on the ship. We asked the kids to check in with us regularly. We had seven kids in our group, so they helped keep track of each other. If they did not show up at the cabins at a resonable bed time, we went out and fetched them, knowing that ship-sponsored activities ended at midnight.

The cruise line has strict rules pertaining to how employees interact with passengers. However, this is no guarantee. Young adolescents are very trusting. The girls assumed that because this employee was in a uniform, he was acting appropriately. These girls innocently gave information they should not have shared, and went into an area they should not have entered. Fortunately, nothing serious happened. However, it was a real "wake-up" call to our family. We kept close tabs on all our teens following this incident.

Cruising can be a lot of fun for teens. There are lots of activities and some nice kids to meet. They just need to be cautious and sensible.
Old 07-30-2002, 06:29 AM

In March 2001, we took our 3 teens with us on NCL's Sky. Our daughters were 15 & 16 and our son turned 14 on the cruise (nice way to celebrate a birthday, eh?) Anyway, we encouraged them to attend the first teens club meeting, which they did. This was a good thing as they met lots of friends there. They didn't attend any other teen functions during the trip and it seemed that all the teens hung around together in the evening.

The first night they didn't get back to their cabin until 2:00 a.m., and my husband and I were worried that something had happened to them (falling overboard was something we thought about). So, the next day we had a talk with them and we all agreed that the curfew would be 1:00 a.m., only because a lot of our ports of call had early morning dockings and we had signed up for some excursions.

In the evening, the teens were supposed to go to the teen disco, but they ended up hanging out with their parents at the disco. After we went to bed, they usually went to get some pizza. There was never any problem on-board and we told them to stick together. You can read about our review on the cruisereview site, under NCL Sky. Another on-board communication tool that helped was to pack some post-its. We were always up earlier than they were, so we just posted a note on their door telling them where we would be. They did the same for us.

We never let our teens go to port alone and we had talked about this beforehand. We did all have dinner together, though, as this was one tradition that we wanted to share. Breakfast and lunch was on their own.

Unfortunately, and this is the case in our modern society, no-one is really safe anywhere anymore, including a cruise line. I recently read the book "Death By Chocolate". This book advises of the dangers aboard a cruise line, including possible sexual harrassment and sometimes more.

I think the best thing you can do before you go on the cruise is to sit down with your daughters and have a heart-to-heart talk with them just warning them that cruise ships are like society and there are all kinds of people aboard (passengers and crew members alike), and that if they keep safety in mind, they will have a good time.

Before we went on our cruise, we did talk to our teens about one of our ports, Jamaica, and if anyone approaches them selling "ganga", it's drugs. Anyway, you know how teens are -- ya, right, sure Mom, but it did happen when we were there, and so they knew what to do.

Keeping this in mind, we are going on another cruise in March 2003 on Carnival's Spirit, and again taking our teens with us, plus our eldest daughter who wasn't able to attend the first time. Their ages will be 21, 18, 17 and 16. Our eldest will be one of the adults by then!

Anyway, have a great cruise and talk to your teens before you go. This will save a lot of hassles on board.
Old 07-31-2002, 05:07 PM

One of the best ideas I have heard of for teens (or others) is the use of portable walkie Talkies. They are reasonable in cost, compact and work just like cell phones on a ship. A teen can immediately call their parents (or the other way around) if they need help and it helps everyone stay connected.

They also come in handy in a port when folks head in different directions.

Tom
Old 08-04-2002, 09:48 PM

THANKS FOR THE INFO RE TENNAGER ON CRUISE!

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, breakaway, club, cruise, cruises, curfew, girl, girls, kids, safe, ship, sneaking, teen, teenage, teens