Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 08:13 PM

I am aware that feedback is part of a forum, I belong to many, many forums and believe me I can feel the heat in this forum, dare a negative word be spoken. I don't anticipate everyone agreeing with me, we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Carnival is the leader in the cruise industry. Why would I expect to be dissatisfied since all the reviews I read, all the company literature I had access to formed a glowing opinion of the Holiday.The actual experience of the ship changed that. The ship is not even referred to as the Carnival Holiday anymore, it's just the Holiday now. Bad press, perhaps....or

While I see you are in Alabama and may have a certain affinity for the ship since it is based out of Mobile, I have no intention of defaming Carnival or the Holiday. I just had a bad experience and that is what I wrote of. Had I expected what I got, certainly I would not have gone.

I have no affiliation with any travel entity. I'm in the medical field.

Ray
Old 07-21-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I've booked the Princess cruise through Costco, so it will leave Carnival out of the loop, although my complaints still stand with Carnival. Live and learn.
Even if you had booked direct with Princess, Carnival would be out of the loop.

The Holiday has never had the Carnival name in front of Holiday. Since 1985 it has always been the Holiday. Carnival placed the name Carnival in front of all their ships a while back. They didn't put it in front of the Holiday because the ship was already scheduled to be sold.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
all the company literature I had access to formed a glowing opinion of the Holiday
Well, duh!

If you look around this forum you will find many posts from both me and others saying it is time for the Holiday to go. I am very much looking forward to the Carnival Fantasy coming to Mobile in the fall and the Holiday going away. The ship is quaint but maintained as well as it can be. It has had plumbing and air-conditioning issues for several years. But for the price you get what you pay for. I've been on the Holiday four times (not all from Mobile) and always had a good time.

Not sure why you think booking with Costco makes a difference. It doesn't.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:16 AM

I'm not From Alabama, I live in Alabama. I am Not in the medical profession, although I have no idea what that has to do with your experiences on the Holiday. Mobile is an easy port to get into and out of. Out of the 26 cruises I've been on, only 1 was out of Mobile and that was on the Holiday. She is an old ship, but she is well maintained and a great value. I didn't want you to miss a good experience on a great line (Princess) because of your misinformation. Of course, you may not enjoy Princess either.

I have a few cruises under my belt and happen to disagree with you about the Holiday. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy her, but I did. I hope our original poster does as well. In my non-medical opinion, she's a great ship.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:38 AM
Quote:
I am very much looking forward to the Carnival Fantasy coming to Mobile in the fall and the Holiday going away.
The Fantasy taking the place of the Holiday is one of the reasons we decided to book our cruises from Mobile. We knew the Holiday was leaving the fleet so we were a little hesitant on booking on her. We went thru that on the Zenith a couple years ago. Since we shut our plant down every year between Christmas and New Year, I have the time to take an extended cruise. We are doing five days back to back cruises beginning Dec 28 on the Fantasy. This will make our seventh year in a row out to sea for New Year.

Fast dancing is the second best form of exercise,
slow dancing leads to the first!
Old 07-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Yeah, Keith, I remember you and Rita making the New Year's cruise a tradition. I wish I could go. Hard to believe it has been 10 years since we all went on the Mercury.

Mobile is about 6 hours drive for us. We are literally driving the entire length of Alabama. Still, it is an easy drive. I expect the overflow parking at the pier will be a normal thing with the Fantasy. The parking garage was built based on the Holiday.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:29 AM
We are staying at the Renaissance Riverview Plaza Hotel which includes free cruise parking and shuttle service. Might even spend the night there post cruise since that will be my birthday.
Our GPS shows the port at 605 miles from our house so we're looking at about a 10 hour drive. Not dealing with the airlines is one of the reasons we are driving to our closet port this year. Last New Year we cruised on the Emerald Princess out of FLL. We had to fly 300 miles north to Chicago for our connecting flight both ways. We flew into O'Hare during a snow storm on our return. We lucked out as the little jet taking us home was in a hanger all day so we did not have a delay. Our 2 each checked bags cost us $160.00 extra on AA.
What's the chances of other lines and ships sailing out of Mobile?

Fast dancing is the second best form of exercise,
slow dancing leads to the first!
Old 07-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Administrator

I think Penny stayed at that hotel last summer when we had a staff cruise on Holiday.

No word on other cruise lines coming to Mobile. The cruise facility can only handle one ship at a time. The turning basin is also a factor. The Fantasy class is as big as it can handle without widening the area.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:09 PM

We have cruised on the Holiday 3 times. I know she is older, I knew it when i cruised on her.But for the money and fun I had it goes down as my favorite ship. I love the smaller ship. I knew she was older the last time I sailed on her but I sitll had a great cruise.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:00 PM

Keith and Rita, we did stay there last July. It was a great hotel and they let us park in their secured parking lot. They had a shuttle take us over and pick us up. No hassle with traffic or luggage. It was wonderful. I, too, wish more lines would sail out of New Orleans, Mobile, and even Carolina. We drive to Ft. Lauderdale/Miami, but it's 2 days for us. I know we could make it in 16 1/2 hours, but I'm not going to push it. It's much nicer to drive and rest, then drive some more. Even with the higher gas prices, it is less than flying for 2 people. For 1 person, flying is definitely the way to go, but it is so much of a hassel anymore. Flying used to be a nice experience.

Closed Thread

Tags
alabama, back, cruise, cruising, eat, mobile, places, placing, ship, talking