Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Quote:
..... This will make our seventh year in a row out to sea for New Year.
You must be experts on New Years at Sea. Our daughter says it is a great new years party and has asked us to do a New Year's cruise. Is it worth the extra money? What is special about New years night at sea? Or are you sometimes in port?
Old 07-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by penny3333:
Keith and Rita, we did stay there last July. It was a great hotel and they let us park in their secured parking lot. They had a shuttle take us over and pick us up. No hassle with traffic or luggage. It was wonderful. I, too, wish more lines would sail out of New Orleans, Mobile, and even Carolina. We drive to Ft. Lauderdale/Miami, but it's 2 days for us. I know we could make it in 16 1/2 hours, but I'm not going to push it. It's much nicer to drive and rest, then drive some more. Even with the higher gas prices, it is less than flying for 2 people. For 1 person, flying is definitely the way to go, but it is so much of a hassel anymore. Flying used to be a nice experience.
Penny, we've driven to Tampa and Port Canaveral for cruises--about 800 or so miles for both. We never drive direct. We always stop in Lake City, FL for the night. The next day we only have about 200 miles to travel. We have a 2 week timeshare at Siesta Key, so we make that in May every year. It's about 100 miles farther. We would also drive to the Carolina or Virginia, however they never have New Year cruises.

Fast dancing is the second best form of exercise,
slow dancing leads to the first!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I, too, wish more lines would sail out of New Orleans, Mobile, and even Carolina.
Next year--Feb to April, Celebrity Mercury doing 10/11 night Western Caribbean out of Charleston, SC. Close enough?
Old 07-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by CruiseDad:
quote:
..... This will make our seventh year in a row out to sea for New Year.
You must be experts on New Years at Sea. Our daughter says it is a great new years party and has asked us to do a New Year's cruise. Is it worth the extra money? What is special about New years night at sea? Or are you sometimes in port?

CruiseDad, we've never been in port for New Year Eve at midnight--it's always been at sea. It does cost more for the cruise, however that's the only time and can put together more than 7 days for a cruise. The 2nd leg of our Fantasy back to back cruise is about 1/2 the price of the first leg!

Old 07-22-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Our GPS shows the port at 605 miles from our house so we're looking at about a 10 hour drive.
Don't forget the Carnival Pride going out of Baltimore now. It might be just as close to you as Mobile.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
I am aware that feedback is part of a forum, I belong to many, many forums and believe me I can feel the heat in this forum, dare a negative word be spoken. I don't anticipate everyone agreeing with me, we are all entitled to our own opinions.
Sorry for the late reply regarding this comment. As a Staff Member of this forum, I can assure you opinions whether positive or negative are welcome. Sometimes what one perceives as "heat" is because Cruise-Chat.com has a large following of experienced and knowledgeable cruisers.

Dwayne
Old 07-23-2009, 05:56 AM

I don't know that the "holiday" cruises are worth the extra money. However, most people can manage to get time off during Christmas/New Years without too much trouble. Since they know the children are out of school and a lot of companies close during that time, they jack up the prices. People pay because it is a fun time at sea. Last year was our first New Years cruise and our 3rd Christmas. We did a 2 week on the Royal Princess. The fare was higher to begin with because she's a smaller ship, about $3K more than the Grand. However, the Grand was only doing a 10 day, ours was a 14 day. But I was a little disappointed in that they didn't even give us a free glass of champagne. I really thought that one free glass would have been included at midnight, but it wasn't. I'm not saying we didn't have a fantastic time, we did. But I honestly can't say it was "worth" the extra money.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:22 AM
Quote:
Don't forget the Carnival Pride going out of Baltimore now. It might be just as close to you as Mobile.
We did look at the Pride out of Baltimore, however it's a 7 day cruise and we wanted a little longer cruise. It would be nice if we had the time to book a back to back for 14 days, but we don't. I've driven there before on the way to Lakehurst, NJ. The distance is about 725 miles.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by penny3333:
I don't know that the "holiday" cruises are worth the extra money. However, most people can manage to get time off during Christmas/New Years without too much trouble. Since they know the children are out of school and a lot of companies close during that time, they jack up the prices. People pay because it is a fun time at sea. Last year was our first New Years cruise and our 3rd Christmas. We did a 2 week on the Royal Princess. The fare was higher to begin with because she's a smaller ship, about $3K more than the Grand. However, the Grand was only doing a 10 day, ours was a 14 day. But I was a little disappointed in that they didn't even give us a free glass of champagne. I really thought that one free glass would have been included at midnight, but it wasn't. I'm not saying we didn't have a fantastic time, we did. But I honestly can't say it was "worth" the extra money.
As far as holiday cruises go, we would not cruise at Christmas unless we could take the whole family. With three daughters, a son and twelve grandkids, that's not going to happen. Besides, that's our alone time together after the husle and busle of the holidays. The timing of a New Year cruise works well for us. True, it's probably not worth the extra $$ for a glass of cheap bubbly and party favors.
At least we have a great designated driver!

Old 07-23-2009, 06:52 AM

Guess I'll have to sail Carnival for my free glass of champagne, then. I really couldn't believe Princess didn't give us one. We did have a fun party in the Royal lounge, though. They did loads of songs from the 70s and 80s. Of course, we did have to have some of the newer rap music. We had an awesome 2 member "band" that played fantastic Caribbean music. They played a few sets that night. We had a wonderful time, but I sure could have booked a lot more cruises this year if it hadn't been so danged expensive

Congratulations on the 12 grandkids, your children have been busy

Closed Thread

Tags
alabama, back, cruise, cruising, eat, mobile, places, placing, ship, talking