Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 08:35 PM

The Carnival Ecstasy had a scare today but according to the article everything is back on schedule. here
Old 04-21-2010, 08:45 PM

Wow, while I am sure it was scary for those on board the "reports" quoted in the article are a bit exaggerated. "The ship nearly tipped over and it was on its side for 10 minutes" Yeah.. right... they made an emergency turn maneuver and held the turn for 10 minutes. Oh well, I'm sure that in stressful times it would seem like a lot longer than it really was.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 04-21-2010, 09:35 PM

Way to go Carnival! Missing an undetected buoy just shows the expertise of those on the bridge. I wonder what kind of damage hitting it would have caused to the lower bow of the ship. I think the story is bit exaggerated as well. Not to diminish the terror they felt. I was a bit scared myself when the Glory (way bigger) tilted while high tailing it out of Nassau once. Now if they can just get the docking skills perfected instead of bumping into other ships and messing up piers.

Dwayne
Old 04-22-2010, 04:52 AM
LOL!! what a story.. I believe 10 min is a really long time for a turn.. Give carnival credit for missing the bouy. What happens when a deer jumps out in front of you when you are driving in your car, YOU swerve the vehicle to avoid it.. I wonder how many people will be demanding money back. i am sure the ship was listing for a min or two but get real 10 mins!! got to sell papers. And the lady was on the phone with the news paper while it was happening. She wanted her name in the paper

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-22-2010, 06:53 AM
Administrator

When I train workers to use respirators one of the steps involves them doing a negative pressure test for 10 seconds to see if they have a seal. So I tell them to do it and they never get close to 10 seconds before they stop. Then I have them do it and I time them. Many are surprised at how long 10 seconds can be when in an unfamiliar environment.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:10 AM

I am sure people were in a panic, why they were crawling on each other, I don't understand. Like tim c said, it's just like when a deer jumps out in front of you, you're going to swerve. Congrats to the captain for seeing it and avoiding it! Unfortunately, tim c, you're so right. People will be lining up for FULL refunds. Maybe the lady reporting this works for the Enquirer
Old 04-22-2010, 06:55 PM

I was on the ecstasy when this happened yesterday. No, it wasnt 10 minutes. But when one has no idea what is happening, it is terrifying. Water pouring over the edge, all food, plates, chairs, dishes, breaking and sliding all over the floor. People separated from their kids, their families, and children crying. The reason for the trampling was that the buffet restaurant was packed full when this happened, and we all had to rush over to the high side of the room, and people were trying to get out of the few doors leading outside. Imagine about 400 folks trying to go out a few doors. Chaos, yes, but short-lived. From the time the engine moaned and the ship listed, to the time it regained balance...maybe 3 minutes? Again, we had NO idea what was happening. Hearing about it after the fact (hindsight 20/20)...it's not so awful. Believe me, it was terrible. However, Carnival staff were unreal. They called all hands on deck and those folks got to work!! Amazing that w/n minutes people were back at the buffet lines getting more food!!!! They kept us updated (first it was a buoy, then an "object"....so speculation began about what the "object" was...you can only imagine the theories). Many folks with wheelchairs, splints, cuts, injuries of all sorts this morning, but we were told 3 had to be takento the hospital when we arrived in Galveston. Alls well that ends well, but after 5 cruises, I think I'll be waiting a bit before I venture out. I know it's safe, but I will need time before I can be comfortable.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:26 PM
Administrator

txmom,

First of all, I am glad to hear you and yours are okay. Secondly, thanks for a rational first hand report. It is nice to read a balanced account of the event...no pun intended.

It was one of those things where there was no time to warn the passengers. The bridge had to immediately take evasive action.

And of course, I've already read posts on other boards where people on your cruise are asking for compensation.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:45 PM

I agree, Dave, that there was no time for a warning. And thankfully they were able to avoid the buoy. As long as it happened as Carnival reports it, I don't find fault. I'm sure you're right about the lawsuits, demands for refunds, free cruises, etc. It's sure to happen!
Old 04-22-2010, 10:08 PM

Thanks txmom for the first hand report!

I can imagine some of the panic on the Lido Deck as I witnessed this on the Glory. The water came out of the pool and washed the then plastic deck chairs to the rails. People were yelling to go to the other side. I'm glad to hear the crew went into immediate action. When this happened on the Glory (2005) they were as dumbfounded as the guests.

It wouldn't be out of the question for the ship to list for about 10 minutes if doing a sharp turn at a good speed. The Glory listed for at least 10 minutes while making the turn to head out of Nassau to avoid a storm that had changed directions. I was told the ships elevators stopped working because of a built in safety mechanism. All I know is it can be scary.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
bridge, carnival, cruise, degree, ecstasy, height, january, metacentric, oasis, reviews, roll, seas, ship, today, view