Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Because as long as the U.S. has the Cuba embargo we Americans can't go there as tourists, or spend dollars there. The embargo law also restricts cruise ships sailing from U.S. ports or carrying American citizens from going to Cuba, and you simply will not find a cruise in the Caribbean without most passengers being U.S. citizens.

I have personally longed for the embargo to be lifted since I think it lost it's usefulness decades ago. I also think the increased presence of American tourists and the influx of American corporate money would do more to effect political and social change in Cuba than the embargo ever did.

But it is what it is.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:08 PM

Leaving 9/12 to the Southern Caribbean on Carnival Victory out of San Juan - I have heard nothing about Dominica not being a port on our cruise. Is this the case for all Carnival cruises?
Old 09-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Administrator

MKN,

Dominica is being dropped in November. You should still be going there.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:45 PM

Dave tons of Americans go to Cuba as we meet them every year. They get around the law by going to Canada or another country and then flying to Cuba and then back to Canada or the country they stop over in. They know they are breaking the law, but love the place.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Of course Americans go there, they've been doing it for years. Some for as inane a reason as to buy cigars at the factory. But a cruise line can't aid and abet their breaking the law by taking them to Cuba. I cannot condone any American breaking the law even if I don't agree with said law. I'll go to Cuba when it is legal for me to do so.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Quote:
The embargo law also restricts cruise ships sailing from U.S. ports or carrying American citizens from going to Cuba, and you simply will not find a cruise in the Caribbean without most passengers being U.S. citizens.
There is a Spanish company Pulmatur which used to sail to Cuba. They catered to European Spanish customers and departed from non US Ports, but the company was purchased by Royal Caribbean. Since it became a subsidiary of an American company, it had to stop sailing into Cuba.

The other irony is that the former Carnival Tropicale is now sailing for Pulmantur - a Royal Caribbean brand and is now in direct competition with her younger sisters the Grand Holiday and Grand Celebration now sailing under a Carnival brand Ibero Cruises
Old 09-06-2010, 03:01 AM

Quote:
The other irony is that the former Carnival Tropicale is now sailing for Pulmantur - a Royal Caribbean brand and is now in direct competition with her younger sisters the Grand Holiday and Grand Celebration now sailing under a Carnival brand Ibero Cruises
Thanks for this information. I am a ship nut and enjoy hearing about the ship's post Carnival lives. One small trivial clarification though, the Tropicale doesn't have any sister ships. She was in a class by herself. She was the first ship Carnival built, and the first to have the now famous funnel. The Holiday, Celebration, and Jubilee are sister ships.

These are their appropriate names for past reference as Carnival did not officially rename those ships like the rest of the fleet now. Example "Carnival Imagination". This was my first hint the Holiday was going by-by because they didn't rename her while she was still in service under the Carnival brand.

Six 24kt Gold plastic ships on a stick for winning the Carnival trivia contest. What can I say?
Old 09-06-2010, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the clarification Dwayne.

The Tropical is now known as the Ocean Dream.

I should have said "The former Carnival Ship Tropical". I know that the Tropicale was single ship class. I was trying to say that the ships she used to sail with - and the ships that her original design evolved into (Holiday and Fantasy Class)
Old 09-06-2010, 07:10 PM
If americans go to cuba.. They will not usual stamp your passport there.. so the U.S dont know whhee you have been

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-07-2010, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Let's get back to Dominica, which is the topic of this thread.

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cay, cruise, doesnt, dominica, dream, half, miami, moon, ocean, passport, port, pulmantur, roseaudominica, stamp