Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Administrator

After living through temperatures in the high 90s to 100F these past few days -- heat that is uncharacteristic for us -- I decided to switch out my usual casual night slacks for cotton skirts on the "cruise casual" nights. As men don't have that option, I can understand wanting to go for something cooler...even more so when it's on the cruise line's list.

Besides, I'm going to be sitting next to a guy in Bermuda shorts and a golf shirt.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Besides, I'm going to be sitting next to a guy in Bermuda shorts and a golf shirt.
I guess we'll all have to be careful and not spill any melted butter or soup on our legs.

Not that I am to too much of a shabby dresser though, on the nights I wear my Hawaiian shirts I do tuck them in. This is surprisingly controversial in some circles.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:11 PM

I agree with the comment about living it up a bit. You're on a beautiful floating hotel in a glamorous dining room. I look forward to dressing up at night. Wear your shorts during the day. But live it up at night!!
Old 07-08-2010, 06:30 PM

I like the casual attire for informal nights. I noticed on our last cruise in May on CCL Freedom that on elegant night alot of men were wearing long sleeves and dress slacks. I still do the suit and tie on those nights to please my bride. The best part is all the precruise days observing what she will wear, which dictates what color shirt and tie I will be wearing. This ritual is priceless.

Mark
Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas 2009
Carnival Freedom 2010
Old 07-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Administrator

I've never been on a cruise where I looked at what other people were wearing and said "ya know, I just can't live it up anymore tonight because I don't like what those people are wearing."

I really hate it when this topic comes up (again, and again, and again, and...) because it always ends up with two camps. One side thinks everyone needs to dress up because they do. And then my camp which says you do your thing and I'll do mine as long as we comply with the dress suggestions issued by the cruise line. Meanwhile, it doesn't seem to matter that Carnival says dress shorts (long) are perfectly acceptable on cruise casual evenings. You know, years ago every night on a ship was formal dress. Perhaps we should revert to tuxedoes and gowns for every night, no exceptions. I wonder how that would go over with the target cruise audience? But then that is the bottom line. The cruise lines adapt the policy to their target audience.

I feel safe in saying it won't get much more casual and we won't be seeing men in speedos asking for another serving of lobster.

I will also say that for those who don't know, the dining rooms with the highest level of service and true 5-star cuisine are on ultra-premium ships that don't even have formal nights.

If you look forward to dressing up at night then please do so. I'll be following Carnival's dress suggestions all next week, shorts (long) included.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:49 PM

This is nuts. No one should be allow in the main dinning room in shorts or running shoes or t-shirts. If you do not want to dress up, then go to the buffet. Lets get back to been nicely dress. My wife and I love to dress up for every dinner and when we see people walk in in shorts it make us sick. What is this world coming to.
We wear shorts at all other time on the ships.
We will never go on a ship or cruise line that allow this type of dress code in the dinning rooms for dinner.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Administrator

I agree, wooddon... and, so does Carnival. Their dress code, described HERE, specifically excludes muscle shirts, baseball caps, and shorts (other than long, or Bermuda style dress shorts) on what they call cruise casual nights. All types of shorts, as well as T-shirts, are prohibited on cruise elegant nights, as is sports and beach attire on any night. I agree that enforcement can be lax on any line. Yet Carnival's policy, as stated in the link on their Web site, does not permit very casual clothing.

So, now that we have the official policy -- directly from the source -- that should hopefully bring the end to debates over what Carnival allows and doesn't allow.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:45 AM
I just believe that Carnival is doing this to make everyone feel comfortable on there vacation.. I dont agree with it though.. It going to be at a point were the person who wears nice clothers to dinner will feel over dressed.. Like you are at a Burgar King with a suit on.. Lets get real people.. you wear shorts all day.we can put on some nice pants on and a shirt and maybe a tie and look nice for dinner.its only for 2hrs anyway! Should"nt become a floating redneck resort for GOD sake! Like I said before I can understand the first night on the cruise,but come"on put some pants on!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-09-2010, 04:00 AM
[quote]Should"nt become a floating redneck resort for GOD sake!

That was funny, sorry but that's why we have different Cruise lines and I stay away from the ones that don't suit me. Dave is right up scale lines like Azamara and Oceania have resort casual the whole cruise but that doesn't mean shorts in the dining room at night.

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 07-09-2010, 05:49 AM

Okay folks, the link that was posted details what is acceptable for both "cruise casual" and "cruise elegant" nights. While the "cruise casual" attire does allow for dress shorts it in no way allows for t-shirts, ball caps, flip flops etc. The "cruise elegant" nights are the nights to dress up as it has been for a long while.

I think some of us are confusing which nights we are talking about. Of course it would be inappropriate to wear shorts to dinner on the "cruise elegant" (Formal) nights.

So please read the details HERE.

Thanks,
Dwayne
Carnival Forum Moderator

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, carnival, cayman, cruise, dining, grand, kids, long, main, room, royal, shorts, wear, whats, words