Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/)
-   -   So I hear shorts are ok now in the main dining room...what to wear? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/5229-so-i-hear-shorts-ok-now-main-dining-room-what-wear.html)

Newtocruisin 07-07-2010 11:02 PM

I was suprised to hear that carnival is allowing men to wear shorts in the main dining room. I guess I'm not sure what to wear since this is our first cruise and I was always told shorts were unacceptable in the dining room.

If you wear shorts, what's acceptable footwear? Are guy's wearing Sperry's with no socks?

Dwayne 07-08-2010 02:27 AM

Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

Yes the dress code for casual nights includes shorts for men now. Funny you should mention Sperry's without socks. That is exactly what I wore. For "Cruise Elegant" nights dress slacks are in order.

Welcome aboard,

Dwayne

tim c 07-08-2010 04:36 AM

Shorts are ok for the first night but come on!! I know its your vacation but cant we dress up at least in some nice pants and a shirt.. And why only men and not women?

Cruise Fanatic 07-08-2010 05:04 AM

Quote:

Shorts are ok for the first night but come on!! I know its your vacation but cant we dress up at least in some nice pants and a shirt.. And why only men and not women?
It is for both men and women. Also it should be noted it says dress shorts (long). This would be more like dressy golf shorts. Not short short, or raggedy shorts.

poormom 07-08-2010 05:38 AM

I'm always surprised when this subject comes up. All year long my husband and I work long hours and arrive at home exhausted with dinner to make, dishes to wash etc.
When we cruise there's no phone, no computer and no distractions. Part of the whole process is to reconnect and unwind. Part of the magic is dressing up and rekindling the spark. Heck in nature, even the birds have the good sense to grow brighter feathers to attract a mate.
Even the wait staff kicks it up a notch on those nights.

Now I know not all cruisers are couples, but when I go with my girlfriends, we love to dress up and show off our pictures to our friends back home.
Sure it's vacation and all, but why do we keep lowering our standards? pretty soon there won't be formal nights and the the food quality will decline with it.

Dave 07-08-2010 06:50 AM

We are talking about "cruise casual" nights here, not "cruise elegant". The dress shorts are not part of the "cruise elegant" suggested attire. It isn't as though anyone is endorsing showing up in a t-shirt and gym shorts - both of which are still not supposed to be allowed.

I wore bermuda shorts and a golf shirt on the casual nights of our staff cruise on the Holiday in 2008. I didn't feel I was underdressed.

I'll be doing the same on at least one night next week.

Newtocruisin 07-08-2010 06:51 AM

It's a tough call because from what I hear there's a lot of people wearing shorts. Even in church now this casual dress is becoming more the norm. It's the guys that still wear suits that get the funny looks.

I'm gonna bring both and see what everyone else is doing I guess.

Honestly, for casual night I don't see what's so wrong with dress shorts, a button up shirt and sperry's. Guess it just depends on what everyone else does.

Dave 07-08-2010 07:20 AM

I don't worry about what the other people are wearing. If I am in compliance with the suggested dress then that is all I worry about. Please don't spend your cruise trying to meet other people's expectations.

It really depends on the itinerary. A cruise in the Caribbean in the summer lends itself more to the shorts than does an Alaskan cruise.

If someone wants to wear a suit every night that is their choice.

The question I like to ask people when the shorts debate pops up is "unless you are sneaking peeks under the tablecloth, how would you know who was wearing pants or who was wearing shorts?"

Dwayne 07-08-2010 07:25 AM

Quote:

Honestly, for casual night I don't see what's so wrong with dress shorts, a button up shirt and sperry's. Guess it just depends on what everyone else does.
The attire you describe is perfectly acceptable on cruise casual nights.

Gotta love the Top-Siders! http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...icon_smile.gif

Dwayne

Bub 07-08-2010 07:54 AM

I find capris to be the perfect compromise (for the ladies at least), I also like to see men in pants and shirt but lets give the guys a break on casual nights. Its all about relaxation, so wear what you are comfortable in. Nobody says you can't dress up. Just my 2 cents worth.

B