Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 11:16 AM

When it states OB or obstructed balcony view, what exactly does that mean? Can you still sit on the balcony and see out. How obstructed is it, I guess is what I am asking? Thanks!!
Old 02-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Administrator

It depends on the ship. It often means some of the view is blocked by lifeboats or other equipment such as the window washing machine that runs on rails along the sides of the ship.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:25 PM

Thanks, Dave. I guess a better question would be can you still sit out on the balcony and enjoy a view of the horizon?
Old 02-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Boneman:
Thanks, Dave. I guess a better question would be can you still sit out on the balcony and enjoy a view of the horizon?
If it's a balcony cabin there will be a balcony to sit on. But give us your ship and cabin and I bet someone can give you a real good answer, Perhaps even a photo. I have an Obstructed View on the Miracle. I get to look out over a life boat. So the only obstruction is down. Should be just fine.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
If it's a balcony cabin there will be a balcony to sit on. But give us your ship and cabin and I bet someone can give you a real good answer, Perhaps even a photo.
That is a real good answer based on the information provided.

There are differences depending on which ship it is. The basic definition (excerpt from Carnival) is "View is obstructed by a lifeboat, tender boat and/or steel beam".

Boneman, please give more specific details about the ship and cabin.

Dwayne
Old 02-08-2010, 12:20 PM
well I had never been on this situation but what is the deal??
the price difference is really worth the price??
I mean I always book a balcony cabin but from experience I always try to book one from the center of the ship without any obstructons, if you are going to pay for a balcony cabin you should enjoy the view and have no worries about it...
Old 02-08-2010, 12:58 PM

We have not booked a balcony yet. We are booked OV on Elation and I was thinking about upgrading to balcony since it is a 7 day cruise, I might like to have a balcony. Early booking has the obstructed view at about $300 less per person than a balcony w/o obstruction. I definitely don't want to pay higher than the early booking rate, but just didn't know how obstructed we were talking about. Thanks for any info given.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:28 PM
That sounds like a Fantasy Class Cat 11 Suite, the cabins at the back of Veranda have an obstructed view because there are rescue boats in front of them. I had a Cat 12 suite on the Holiday in a similar location with the rescue boat in front of me.

Is there any way to post pictures to this site so I can show them?
Old 02-08-2010, 05:24 PM

Yes, I believe you are right that they are on the back of Veranda. I would love to see the photos if you can figure out how to post. If the lifeboats are right in front of you, then I can't see paying the $700 extra for the week. Thanks again to everyone for the info.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:38 PM
I created an online album on Picasa.

http://picasaweb.google.com/cruisephotoshare

I have a few shots from my balcony on the Holiday. I also have an old picture from the Fascination 6 years ago, that has a really good view of Veranda Deck of the Imagination as we were passing it in Miami

Closed Thread

Tags
balcony, carnival, cruise, cruises, fascination, imagination, line, obstructed, photographs, sit, suite, v21, v30, view, views