Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2004, 08:56 AM

I have been doing some poking around the various sites (cruisereviews, carnival site, ect.) trying to see if a cruise is right for me and which cruise I should go on. I am married but no kids so the whole family question isn't a concern for me. I was thinking of the Carnival (the ship is called Fantasy) line going to Nassau and Freeport. It looked interesting and fun but now I keep reading one report after another about how bad this is and how terrible that is. I'm wondering if I should seriously rethink this whole idea or at least maybe look at the Western Carribiean insetad of Nassau. I thought seeing Atlantis would be neat (they are a possible vacation destination) but I keep reading about how they are no good and the tours are terrible. I even found a site from this message board that did nothing but say how bad the Bahamas are in general and should be avoided at all costs. What's the general consensus on Nassau and Freeport? I've traveled all over the US and to Puerto Rico and have had wonderful trips everytime. I've never had a bad vacation and don't want this one to be the first.
If Nassau isn't the best choice, what do you all recommend? Thanks for the feedback. Also with all the excusions (I've read how some are good and others are terrible) which should be looked at and which ones are a pass?
Old 12-30-2004, 08:56 AM

I have been doing some poking around the various sites (cruisereviews, carnival site, ect.) trying to see if a cruise is right for me and which cruise I should go on. I am married but no kids so the whole family question isn't a concern for me. I was thinking of the Carnival (the ship is called Fantasy) line going to Nassau and Freeport. It looked interesting and fun but now I keep reading one report after another about how bad this is and how terrible that is. I'm wondering if I should seriously rethink this whole idea or at least maybe look at the Western Carribiean insetad of Nassau. I thought seeing Atlantis would be neat (they are a possible vacation destination) but I keep reading about how they are no good and the tours are terrible. I even found a site from this message board that did nothing but say how bad the Bahamas are in general and should be avoided at all costs. What's the general consensus on Nassau and Freeport? I've traveled all over the US and to Puerto Rico and have had wonderful trips everytime. I've never had a bad vacation and don't want this one to be the first.
If Nassau isn't the best choice, what do you all recommend? Thanks for the feedback. Also with all the excusions (I've read how some are good and others are terrible) which should be looked at and which ones are a pass?
Old 12-30-2004, 11:20 AM

Hey, first off…I’d like to say you’ve come to the right place. There are also other forums you can find with people to talk to. (I don’t want to mention the competition by name though, lol) so just do a google search for one or something.

Okay, so here’s my advice to you. Take bad reviews with a grain of salt. Usually reviews that are horrible result because someone has an axe to grind. It may not even the be the cruise’s problem, just someone’s negative outlook. Those who are satisfied or very happy with their cruise would rather enjoy the memories than write every word down sometimes, so don’t get too worried if you see bad reviews. Plus, here’s something to think about… cruising is a HUGE industry, with countless repeat customers. If everyone was so dissatisfied, cruising would not be so popular.

Next, I went to Nassau in Feb. ’04, and sort of agree it was nothing special. I also heard from people that went to Atlantis that they were very unfriendly to cruisers, and really only catered to those who stayed at the hotel. I enjoyed the western Carib. (especially Cozumel) much more. Then again, that’s just my opinion! One last thing, while the older ships are nice, depending on what you want out of your cruise, sometimes the newer, the better. If you decide you dislike a port, chances are you’ll have more to do back on a newer ship, than on an old one. Plus there will be more food options, etc…The crowd also tends to be younger (I’ve found the over 50 crowd generally was larger on older ships). Then again, if you prefer a more close-knit environment, where you really get to know a lot of people, a smaller, older ship may be better for you.

Gosh, I’ve probably answered your question, and way more, but I just wanted to make sure you don’t shy away from cruising. I think everyone should try it once. You may turn out to dislike it, but in my experience, 99/100 people love it!
Old 12-30-2004, 12:28 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about negative reviews. Everyone has their own expectations and your experience will have more to do with your expectations than someone else's experience.

You will generally find a more party-oriented crowd on a shorter cruise than on a 7-day cruise, and I suspect that would be the case on the ship you are considering.

Freeport and Nassau are fun ports to visit, but again, it is up to you to make your own fun. I wouldn't hesitate to go for a minute just to see if you like cruising. How bad can it be?

Tom
Old 12-31-2004, 07:58 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I've been looking all over for info and trying to get as much info as I can about not only Carnvial, but the ports as well. So far so good . One question I have is about the cabin. I was first looking at a suite (if you're gonna go, go all the way!) but now I am wondering if I wouldn't be just as happy in a oceanview room and use that extra $$ I would pay for the room for other excusions and such. How are the Oceanview Rooms? I don't exepect I would spend a whole ton of time in the room anyway but I also don't want to sleep in a closet either. I've heard you don't really want the interior rooms for just that reason. So is the Oceanview good enough or should I pony up the cash for a suite? Thanks.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:11 AM

Hmmm, it really depends on what you and your wife are accustomed to. If you stay at 5-star hotels when you travel, then you would probably prefer the suite. If, on the other hand a room at the Holiday Inn will suffice as long as it has a nice pool and good bar, then an oceanview should be fine. Your budget may also dictate the choice. I love a stateroom suite, but if it means I can't enjoy any excursions or great bottles of wine at dinner, then I would book an oceanview.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 12-31-2004, 11:12 AM

We've been on two cruises, one with Carnival, and the Oceanview was just fine for us. Carnival rooms are pretty spacious comparatively. The stuff you might want on board and in port does add up, so unless you're set on luxury in your room (in which you don't spend a ton of time!), I'd save it for the extras, though that's just my personal opinion. I've often thought a balcony would be nice ...

We took an older ship from Carnival and it was fine, especially the public areas. Our room however, was a little 'frayed' shall we say and coloured in orange and pink! Regardless, it was spacious and clean and I really don't have any major complaints about it or cruising in general. After all, I'm leaving on number 3 in a week!

Kate

RCI Sovereign of the Seas 2005
Caribbean Princess 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Old 12-31-2004, 12:21 PM

I think inside cabins have a bad reputation and that it is unfounded. I live on a rancy in San Diego and get up with the sun every morning. I have become very light sensitive and thoroughly enjoy an inside cabin where I can sleep whenever I want to. They are comfortable and generally just as spacious as their oceanview counterparts.

On certain itineraries I would pay a premium for an inside cabin.

Tom
Old 12-31-2004, 01:23 PM
I have been in cat 6 cat 8 cat 11 AND CAT 12 OF COURSE 11 AND 12 WAS NICE IF THERE ARE MORE THEN 2 PEOPLE OR YOU PLAN ON HAVING GUESTS IN FOR DRINKS ETC. THE OCEAN VIEW ROOM IS NICE bUT WE DO PREFER THE BALCONY ROOMS CAT 8 IS THE SAME SIZE AS OCEANVIEW JUST THE BALCONY ADDS LITTLE MORE ROOM, WE HAD A BALCONY ON 2 CRUISES AND NEVER GOT TO USE THEM TILL THE LAST DAY WHEN THE WEATHER WAS FINNALLY NICE, DEPENDS ON YOUR ITINERY hAPPY CRUIS'N 20 MORE DAYS FOR ME WESTERN CARIBBEAN
Old 12-31-2004, 01:32 PM
western caribbean the best by far!!!! I have been on two cruises to eastern and did not like either of them 2 different cruiselines

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cruise, director, forum, goodwin, matt, nassau, newbie, parasail