Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 01:33 AM

Im suppose to be sailing in 3 days on the destiny, but i checked my email and found a message from carnival stating that my cruise ports had been changed due to issues with the ship from Jamiaca & Caymen island to Cozumel & Costa Maya. FuNnY how these same problems just keep on coming up. I didn't receive a phone call about the change, but an EMAIL. I wonder how many people checked their email today!! I did however receive a phone call a couple of weeks ago to upgrade my room to a suite (which I did)! I have 24 hours to accept a $50 sail and sign credit and keep the cruise or cancel the cruise for a full refund. The only problem is my airfare is already paid and needless to say my husband isn't happy. I contacted carnival and asked to be transferred to a different cruise, but there is a big payment differnce (of course) and i will have to re-book my airfare. Why couldn't they contact me sooner with this information? Seems like this is an ongoing problem. I think that it would be fair for carnival to discount the current cruise (if i accept it) since the ship will be traveling a shorter distance or atleast allow me to re-book (without paying anything extra) the cruise once the problems are fixed. The customer service rep. stated that their is nothing that she can do. Well all i know is during these difficult times, we all need to enjoy a good vacation and this is starting mine off right. I bet the ship will only make it to the Bahamas and Carnival already knows it!!!
Old 01-27-2010, 04:04 AM

Hi Macy, Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

Sorry to hear your cruise is being impacted by this. I posted a link to the Itinerary Updates in This topic thread.

It is normal for Carnival to send itinerary updates via email. I doubt they already know the ship will only make it to the Bahamas, or they wouldn't have arranged for the new ports to accommodate the ship. I'm not going to tell you how you should feel, or what you should do. I will say if it was me, I'd make the best of it and enjoy my well earned vacation. Some of my best cruises have been the ones with last minute changed itineraries.

Dwayne
Old 01-27-2010, 04:05 AM
Administrator

They couldn't contact you earlier because they just now found a shipyard which can accept the Destiny for repairs, which allowed Carnival to make decisions about your cruise.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:22 AM

We also have experienced last minute changes to itineraries and actually have found them to sometimes be better than the original ports.
I am also glad that these discussions have come up about the whole change of ports as a reminder to all of us that they can happen and after reading all of this I am planning to recheck our contract with Carnival just to make sure we do understand all of our options as I see that there really are time frames if your not happy. The other thing I am wondering and will check with our TA about is the separate insurance we purchase to cover our trip and airfare. I am wondering if this would cover canceling the trip or covering airfare if you decide to not take the cruise that is offered? When you buy the protection insurance you just make the assumption that you are covered (or want to believe you are anyways).
Old 01-27-2010, 06:39 AM
This question comes to mind:

If they chango the calling ports can they change the embarking port (San Juan)also at a Last minute???

I can guess they will not do that but can they??
Old 01-27-2010, 07:06 AM

Cas, they have done this but it is rare. The instance that comes to mind was during the hurricanes. Most notably hurricane Ike that came through Galveston. They moved one cruise to leave from New Orleans instead (they provided busing I think) and then for a while they left out of the port of Houston (which is by no means a big deal) They also did this in new Orleans when they had that barge stuck in the channel and had to move embarkation of the Fantasy to Mobile (again they provided bus transport) For San Juan, I don't see how they could change embarkation port due to the logistics of doing so there. Its different then say Miami versus Ft Lauderdale (assuming something force the port of Miami to close.)

It goes back to things being unpredictable. Anything can happen (remember the refinery explosion in San Juan?), and the cruise lines are very good at altering things to the best work around possible.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 01-27-2010, 07:07 AM

It can be done, but seldom has it ever been done. The only times I can think of that an embarkation port was changed, was due to weather related issues (hurricane), or an issue with them getting to the port. IE: I believe once a barge accident happened on the Mississippi and they had to go to Mobile.

Closed Thread

Tags
call, carnival, destiny, destinys, ports, reviews