Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2005, 08:11 PM

I know that this is a common thread. I have been on 4 cruises and have never brought beer in the luggage. My bar bill averages $80 to $100 per day. I am usually in shock when I check my charge balance. I am planning on a new years eve cruise on the Holiday in December with some of my buddy's. We are considering trying to bring some beer with us. I will still have a huge bar bill. I would just like to know if anyone was stopped and what were the consequences.

Please don't post and tell me how cheap I am. I always leave the recommended tips and bring $100 in $2 bills to give as tips during the cruise.

Thanks for your replies.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:11 PM

I know that this is a common thread. I have been on 4 cruises and have never brought beer in the luggage. My bar bill averages $80 to $100 per day. I am usually in shock when I check my charge balance. I am planning on a new years eve cruise on the Holiday in December with some of my buddy's. We are considering trying to bring some beer with us. I will still have a huge bar bill. I would just like to know if anyone was stopped and what were the consequences.

Please don't post and tell me how cheap I am. I always leave the recommended tips and bring $100 in $2 bills to give as tips during the cruise.

Thanks for your replies.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:06 AM
Banned

I have carried a few 6 packs on after purchasing them at the ports that we have stopped in. Sometimes I have packed them in the back pack that we carry and others just carried it in the bag that they were packed in. I have never been stopped. At worst the beer will be confiscated and given back at the end of the cruise.

At the rate that you are quoting of $40 to $100 per day you are drinking $100 / 3.50 x 1.15% = 24.85 beers a day. You would need to take 24.85 x 7 = 173.91 or at least 7 cases. I don't think the cruise line will allow that much. You may be abel to get by with one case but I think that is pushing it.

You will never really know unless you try. Keep us posted.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:31 AM

Arthur,
Let me give ya some tips. Maybe not so much as it concerns beer but if you drink hard liquor, you may want to conider this. Since the cruise lines way overcharge for alchohol, I have done this time and again and have saved myself a small fortune in bar tabs. I usually take with me 2 bottles of Aquafina water, 1 bottle of Propel and 1 bottle of Gatorade energy drinks, all of them, SANS the contents! In the clear bottles I usually pour Bacardi & Vodka, in the colored bottles I usually pour Scotch & Cognac.
How's that for getting drunk on the cheap? Don't even blink an eye if you are told this is unethical, I see nothing ethical about a cruise line charging me $7-$9 for a shot plus gratuity/tip to boot. Hope it helps.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:57 PM

Rigid
Thanks for the math.

I stick to Corona on Vacation so my per drink average goes to $4 plus 15% tip so $4.6 to $5 per. This is a much more reasonable 20 per day. I am going on a 4 day cruise and am paying for 2 cabins with 2 people per cabin. I figure each person bringing 2 bags. I will not want to go back to the cabin for all drinks so I figure that I will purchase 50% of my drinks from the bar. This leaves me with a managable 5 beers per bag. My wife on the other hand can only drink those expensive souvinier glass drinks. I can never budget enough for this but we have been happily married for 5 years (15 total) so I will have to bite the bullet. Thanks for the advice and I appreciate the light hearted responces.

Todd
December 29 on the Holiday
Old 02-10-2005, 10:03 PM
Are those cans or bottles? We leave on our cruise Sunday. Taking my 4 kids (25-34) All on tight budgets and afraid they will run out of money. One is strictly a beer drinker. We might try to get some beer on board but don't want to stick out. My husband likes rum so we bought two water bottles with spouts. Figured a little squirt in the coke will do just fine, (discreetly of course). I like only the foo foodrinks too! Heard about a dirty banana. Sounds yummy! Anyone know what it is?
Also does anyone know what sodas they have on the Conquest? I have a daughter that is a Dr Pepper addict. I would suggest a soda card but when we sailed The Vision of the Seas last year and bought them we were told coke, diet coke and sprite only. If we wnated to buy we had a couple more options.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:05 AM
Banned

Arthur

I don't know what cruise line you are going on. On the Princess the only Mexican cervesa was Dos Equis and considered a premium beer. Premium beers were $3.50 and domestics were $3.25. You could buy a bucket of beer that was 4 beers for $12.00 or thru room service get 6 beers for the price of 5.

Carnival had Corona. The Mexicans don't drink this stuff because they claim it is made out of donkey urine.

Princess also had booze available by the bottle for in room consumption. The cost was about the same as booze is in Michigan where I live. A liter bottle of Crown was under $25. In Mi a fifth is $22. A liter of Grey Goose was $29 and in Mi a fifth is $29. We took a bottle with us but after finding out that we could get booze at thoose prices it would not be worth the hassle on future cruises.

As far as beer. I would stick to cans and I don'think Corona comes in cans. I would pack my luggage full of beer and check them in. I would take coolers as my carry on luggage packed with my clothes. If they asked why I would tell them that it seemed to be the best containers that I had to protect my clothes.

There are plenty of stores around the dock in Porta Vallarta. Cervesa is around $1.00. Six packs are a little cheaper. Make a few trips carrying 6 to 12 at a time and it should not be a problem. If there is a problem they will give it back on the night of the last day of the cruise.

I know how fast that bar bill can add up fast. In Mexico you can buy drinks cheap and drink in public. I always take a can or bottle cover with me to help keep it cool. Take a lot of singles so you don't have to mess with change.
Every block has stores so you can just stop in and get one.

Get a bucket of beer and then you can use the bucket as a mini cooler. They will keep it filled with ice and won't know that it is for your own beer.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:15 AM

I always wondered what that familar taste was in Corona. Now I know, the more you drink, the less you wonder.

David
Old 02-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Banned

Dave

You have me kind of puzzled about that familar taste in Corona.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:01 PM

double xx's is fine with me. I drank corona long before most of the country new it was a beer. I lived in southern Cal and made monthly trips to Tijuana. I love the food and the beer. Corona and Dosequis are the main competetors. The most expensive thing in producing beer in Mexico is the bottle. Both of these companies will offer a discount if you return the compettitors bottles. This is so they can destroy them and make them make more instead of washing the old ones. If you by a
Corona or Dos Sequis in Mexico you will notice the worn bottle.

Corona does come in cans but is hard to find and why drink Corona from a can.

Whether or not it tastes like urine. I don't know. If that is the case urine with a lime is very good and goes down smooth.

Great comment on filling the luggage with beer and putting your clothes in Coollers. You are using your head.\

One of my guilty pleasures is the Grey Hound. My wife preffers I don't drink Vodka. She has this crazy idea that it turns me into and "A" hole. Which I find so hard to believe. However this has been confirmed by other sources so I will distance my self from the clear devil.

Love the bucket deals.

Todd

Closed Thread

Tags
beer, board, bring, bringing, canned, carnival, corona, cruise, cruises, line, onboard, princess, runners, served, taking