Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 08:57 PM

I'm sure sorry it happened, and I do empathize for you. It has been my experience that if they know the entire cruise itinerary will be deviated ahead of time they give an option to cancel. It can be very short notice though.

Here is a link to the policy.

You might want to write a well worded, meaning just the facts (leave out the whole damn cruise language) letter to the Guest Relations Dept. They may take it into consideration and make an adjustment, or offer a future credit.

This is the address:

Guest Relations
Carnival Cruise Lines
Carnival Place
3655 NW 87 Avenue
Miami, FL. 33178-2428

Good luck, and again I'm sorry this happened with the cruise.

Dwayne
Old 01-23-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffreyP:
Dwayne, thats all that they have given so far,I understand if you miss a port because of weather but to have a problem and know about it and not just miss a port we missed the whole damn cruise!!!!I and I'm sure the whole ship did'nt spend the money to just sit in the ocean for five days!!
Jeff
I'm confused with your post. First you said you did go to Nassau, now you say You miss the whole cruise with 5 days at sea. Your first post also states that crew said they were trying to fix the problem. But now you make accusations as if they purposely cancelled the ports.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:47 AM

What I was saying was that I and the whole ships passengers did not take time off from work,save money to do something like this and plan for a trip with two ports of call niether of which was nassau to leave with a problem which I feel was not fixed when we left Miami to be later told we could not continue on with our destinations.This is what I mean by we missed our whole cruise.If we went to Jamaica and could not make our second port that would even be differant. Thanks for the address and do'nt worry I will leave out the (Damn) language at least the first letter.
Jeff
Old 01-25-2010, 09:27 AM

My husband and I were on the Carnival Destiny cruise from Miami that returned on Thursday the 21st. We will never ever cruise Carnival ever again. We drove from Philadelphia to Miami to board the 5 day cruise to Jamaica and Grand Cayman, if we had wanted to go to Nassau we would have driven the 2 hours to Baltimore because they had a 7 day cruise to the Bahamas. We took this cruise for my Husband's 50th Birthday...what a mistake. If we had been give the option to cancel beforehand we definitely would have, however we were never given that chance! I want to shout out to the world..that Carnival sucks.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:54 AM

I understand everyone's disappointment in missing ports that you were looking forward to visiting. However; all passengers should be aware of the cruise contract that the cruise line can change itineraries here. Paragraph 7d. In addition; Carnival is the only cruise line that offers a Vacation Guarantee (here) , where you could have notified them before you reached Nassau that you wanted to return home. They would have flown you home and refunded the remaining portion of the cruise. Even if you only had one day left it would have been some compensation. "Not knowing" about the cruise contract or the Vacation Guarantee doesn't negate the fact that they are in writing and passengers should be aware of them.

It sounds like Carnival was making an effort to correct the problem. It isn't like an airline, IE: Delta; where parts may be readily available, or another plane can be brought in. The problem may even need to be scheduled for dry dock. (Key word scheduled, It can't just show up at dry dock). When the problem couldn't be corrected the decision had to be made to change course. With the propulsion problem, the late start out of Miami, and the distance to Grand Cayman and Jamaica; they never would have been able to feasibly make it back to Miami on time. Arriving late into Miami would have caused bigger problems affecting both the current cruise passengers with air schedules, and the next outgoing cruise passengers.

While disappointing, no one should base their whole cruise experience on missing ports. Life is too short.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:30 AM

Sorry but it just seems like you are missing the point! Carnival knew they had this problem and has had this problem with this ship for some time now. As long as they leave port they have got you and they know that.As far as the guarantee goes not everyone has a passport so that does nothing for us(not CCL responsibility).
Old 01-25-2010, 12:41 PM

This is why everyone needs to get their passport. Had you made it to Grand Cayman or Jamaica and injured yourself and needed to fly home, you would have been in the same situation.

No, I'm not missing anything. It was stated they were trying to fix the problem. Had they been able to, then they could have continued on course. Carnival hasn't become the number one cruise line with 98% satisfaction rate by purposely antagonizing people as you indicate.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:45 PM

I can understand the disapointment with the cruise. I would have been upset as well.I also agree that Carnival should do something to compensate the people who have had thier vacations ruined. And I think they will iof you stay on it and insist on getting some compensation. I have sailed Carnival 9 times and never experienced anything like this. I have had minor problems and they have taken care of me. Overall I think they are a very good company. JMHO!
Old 01-25-2010, 02:15 PM

I am sorry that your cruise was affected in this way. I thoroughly understand the disappointment in not going to the ports of call that you expected. I can also relate to it as we have been on cruises where due to hurricanes, they completely changed the itinerary. And instead of going to ports we have not been to, the ship goes to places we have been to before. It happens. In fact we were scheduled to cruise from Galveston right after Katrina hit NO. Carnival pulled our ship and ported it in NO as temp housing. They cancelled our cruise completely. They offered to let us cruise on the Conquest for about $1000 more, we didn't like it, but what could we do? They moved all the people that had already been booked on the Conquest sailing from NO to the sailings in Galveston. So we needed to "fill in" empty rooms which were more expensive. One could argue that was wrong, but they had to cancel one of the cruises as they had one less ship.

Now in the case of the Destiny, you can argue back in fourth if Carnival knew ahead of time that they could not go on the schedule route, but assuming that did, they could either cancel the cruise or cruise on and make the best of it. If they pulled into port with engine problems in Miami they may have assumed they could fix them while in port. Obviously they didn't. But its too late then to cancel the cruise... would you have been more upset in finding out AFTER you took time off, drove for a day or flew in the night before, show up at the port and only then find out they canceled the cruise?

I for one don't view the ports of call as the main attraction to cruising. I'd want to take the cruise (and probably not get off the ship in Nassau) then not go on a cruise at all. Carnival would have more people shouting "I'll never sail Carnival again" if they canceled the cruise altogether without warning than they do now by changing up the ports.

This is a fact of cruising. The sea is a unpredictable thing. They don't have any spare cruise ships sitting around in case one breaks. So when problems arise, they do what they can. A cruise ship is not a bus. If you are only taking a cruise ship to get to a certain port stop, fly there instead.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 01-25-2010, 07:04 PM

We were on the Destiny August 09. My husband, and I, my 4 children, 2 son in laws, and my 2 grandchildren, and my mother in law. I didn't like the Destiny. It was too crowded! It was alright, as far as stewards, the dining wasn't spectacular. Awful experience getting off the ship at the ports, just not a good experience. Enjoyed the Sensation a lot better! Service was excellent on the Sensation!

I won't be sailing on the Destiny again!

Closed Thread

Tags
caicos, carnival, cruise, destiny, expect, forum, money, pay, receive, recent, reviews, turks, upgrade, upgrades, yahoo