Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 01:23 PM

Here is parts of a email I received from friends who also were on the Dream, this was there 8th or 9th cruise on Carnival and never had a complaint about the line before, in fact they started cruising on Royal until they tried Carnival, not sure of there feelings now.
I just wanted to fill you in on our cruise. We couldn't wait, we set our expectations high and we were very disappointed with the whole trip!! When we got on the ship in Pt.Canaveral they didn't even have any type of sail away party, which I thought was weird because it was the first cruise from that port. Very boring and geared toward the old generation. So it ended up that we left 1 1/2 hrs late from the port and as we were waiting to sail my name was called over the loud speaker. I called the front dest to see what it was about and they said we need you down on deck 0 there is a security problem with your luggage. I couldn't imagine what security issue it could be. So we went down to see what the problem was and they informed us that they dropped two pieces of our luggage in the water at the port. Well now I know why we were delayed 1 1/2 hours leaving because they were fishing the luggage out of the water!! So I freaked out a little and they were taking the one piece of luggage to wash and dry the clothes. The other piece had all of our toiletries so I asked them if they could bring it right to the room so that I could start wiping off so we could use it. They never sent that piece of luggage up and I waited for about an hour. Finally, I called the front desk and said "I need that piece of luggage, they said they would bring it right up." I was told by the guy at the front desk that he is very busy right now and couldn't help me!! So I said, "I think this should be a priority since this was not our fault." He sent a girl up to take care of it. When she walked in I swear she looked at us like something was wrong with us. She did take the clothes and other shoes that we grabbed out of the bag and made sure they were sent to the wash also. She really down played the situation, like well everything will be fine There were numerous complaints from people and the power went partially out people were stuck in the elevators and we couldn't flush the toilets. (our floor smelled like sewer the whole trip) Among the many other complaints we pulled in to Puerto Rico and they couldn't dock because they said the ship was too big!! When did they want to figure that out?! Not for nothing they said for safety reason, but if they were so concerned about safety I would hope they had that figured out ahead of time. (like when they put Puerto Rico on the itinerary) I feel like they took advantage of the fact that there were 3,000 return passengers and that they didn't have to go out of their way. The only real difference in the new ship is they added many new state rooms. They shrunk the lido and it was real lame!! They expanded the water slide and mini golf, but didn't expand the restaurants or buffet, so that led to overcrowding at breakfast and lunch.
This couple are not the typical complaining type, as I said before they love cruising and Carnival. The rest of the email was your normal vacation tails. Nothing good about CCL, but how could you blame them with the way the cruise started and the stench in the cabin. Hopefully this is a one time messup that will be corrected as I'm sure it will be, we've sailed CCL several times and always enjoyed also.
JC
Old 12-15-2009, 04:58 PM
jc 49-

I agree, that really is a horror story, they are very fortunate that the luggage was recovered and I'm sure that Carnival public relations will be working with them to soothe the ruffled feathers. My experience on the Dream was just the opposite experience, in fact, everything on the Dream is done in much larger scale, including the Lido Deck, it is obviously much wider. The buffets offer much increased numbers of serving stations with more choices than ever before and lines were never more than 5-8 minutes!! To me, the Dream really is the Queen of the Carnival fleet.

Still, losing one's baggage overboard is a nightmare at best, but your post is based on hearsay and third party in origin and difficult to assess and thus properly discuss - I suggest your friend post with us here at cruise-chat and our forum can explore this together!

BillyBuzzy
Old 12-15-2009, 05:34 PM

that really stinks.
But, when I saw "horror", I was sure the story would include some mention of Pirates
Jul.07, March08....
Ecstasy March, 2010
Old 12-15-2009, 06:20 PM

Billyboy,
I guess you did not understand???? These people love to cruise on CCL, I'm guessing because they didn't have a room of your extremes, or are a rep of CCL, or for some other reason you got a FREE CRUISE they were not as lucky as you were???? THIS IS NOT HEAR SAY!!!!!!!! As I stated before I've cruised on CCL and will gladly cruise on them again, to cut me down on my post is not right, this is not my first time on this post but will make me think if I should try to let the cruising public know BOTH SIDES OF THE STORY!!!
Old 12-15-2009, 07:07 PM
Administrator

JC49,

Nobody attacked you or your post. However, your reply comes close to violating forum rules, which you can read HERE. Pay special attention to bullet item #4.

First off, the name of the member is billybuzzy. Secondly, he is not a CCL representative. Thirdly, when you post comments from someone else's e-mail it most definitely is third party opinion. Unless you were there with them, all you (and we) have to go on is what they sent to you in an e-mail.

There have been many reports that this particular cruise was not as smooth as it should have been. However, a balanced assessment is more reasonable, looking at both the good and bad. To label something a "horror" seems a bit hyperbolic to me.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:17 PM

well I just have to say even a horror cruise is preferable to none at all. Carnival can not change the fact that the luggage fell, but I do believe that they will bend over backwards to make it right. sometimes we all just have to learn to bend when we need to.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:34 PM
JC 49 -

I am not now, nor have I ever been affiliated with any cruiseline.In 57 years of of cruise travel I have never been offered a free cruise nor have I ever won such!

You have related a sad story to us and it would be nice if your friend entered it into our forum for discussion!

I recently sailed on the Dream and had a much different cruise experience! I am glad you joined us and your posts are all of interest......Invite your friend here....there is real substance to his sad experience!!!

Happy Cruising,

BillyBuzzy
Old 12-15-2009, 09:19 PM

JC 49,

I want to reiterate that this was a third party review.

There is nothing wrong with posting negative reviews or experiences on any cruise line. However, it would be impossible to ask questions to a third party regarding this experience for the benefit of other members.

The friends' comments are welcome to be posted as long as it is first hand from them directly to allow for direct feedback and questions. They are welcome to join Cruise-Chat.

I am going to close this topic in the meantime.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cruise, dream, dreams, horor, horror, ships, stories