Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 08:04 PM

Carnival Traditions:

In 2003, to celebrate graduating from college my twin brother and I booked a cruise on the Destiny out of Puerto Rico. Since then, it's been tradition that we cruise together once a year in Feb or March. Seven years later, we've yet to break tradition! No girlfriends or wifes are allowed (neither of us are married yet, so this still flys ) and it's always on Carnival Cruise Lines. Once on board, we have two other traditions:

1. A shot of Tequilla at one of the bars on Lido as the ship sets sail. We're not heavy drinkers but this was something we did on our first cruise, so we continue to do it year after year.

2. Annual Arm wrestling competion on the thrid or fourth day of the cruise. Typically happens late night and the winner has bragging rights for the rest of the year. I know, I know, it sounds a bit strange but it's a competitive thing amongst us that started when were kids. We'll be turning 30 on our next cruise in March and this tradition will continue. After all, I've lost the last 3 matches so this is a big year for me.

I know our traditions are rather trivial. I'm sure others have some more meaningful traditions and I'd love to know what they are.

Louis
Old 02-18-2010, 08:23 PM

I love your post. I travel with my sister ( our hubbys have no desire to go) we will do our 10th in sept. All of them have been on Carnival. why mess with a good thing.
about 2 months before the cruise we call each other just about every day. we live 1000 miles apart. we talk the cruise over and over and over.
and every cruise we bring special gifts for each other...simple things like a pair of ear rings, matching t shirts.
getting ready for the cruise is as much fun as the cruise for my sister and I.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:26 PM

I have a few. I'll just post the first now since it started with the Destiny as well. Except it was 1997 and leaving out of Miami then.

I had canceled flights and delays all day trying to get to Miami on the day of the cruise. It was a nightmare! Long story, short...They boarded me with the produce being loaded long after the gangway had been pulled. I had to literally "jump" on the ship from the produce conveyor.

All of my cruises after that when I get to the end of the gangway..I jump on the ship from the gang way and say "I made it". Just like I did that day.

Dwayne
Old 02-19-2010, 02:42 AM
Technically, I have only been on one cruise, but traditions have to start somewhere so these are the two that I will be doing on my next cruises here on out.
1. After boarding the ship and waiting for our room I take care of our sail and sign and head straight to the Lido for a drink and a cheeseburger!
2. On the last night after all our bags are packed I take one last walk around the ship and reflect on all the memories we had.

This year I plan on adding my favorite breakfast of French toast to the start of my vacation.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:11 AM

I have a tradition of unpacking before the boat drill. My wife prefers living out of the suitcase for a week. I prefer having everything organized. Our next cruise, in three weeks, is only a four day ,so she might get her way this time....... probably not.
Jul.07, March08....
Ecstasy March, 2010
Old 02-19-2010, 04:49 PM

My own tradition is to have a "boat drink" in hand before my butt finds a seat.
Planning for a vacation can be pretty stress inducing, so to celebrate the point where I don't have to do anymore planning, driving, keeping a teenager entertained or any of the other things, I have a drink.
Bottoms up!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 02-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Administrator

1. Board the ship.
2. Go to Lido Buffet.
3. Get corned beef on rye at the deli, with kosher pickle and cole slaw on the side.
4. Get beer from nearest bar or waiter.
5. Get two slices of pizza and another beer.
6. Go to cabin and settle in.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:51 AM

Dave, yours sounds similar to a few of my other traditions. Except, I get a regular Reuben at the deli.

I always try to find the head bartender/manager of the Lido deck bar, and meet them on the first day.

After lunch I go check the cabin out and see if the luggage (or some of it) has arrived. If so, unpack and organize everything. Then off to check out the rest of the ship and the assigned dining table. By then it is usually time for the Life Boat drill announcement. After the drill I go to the Lido deck for a sail away drink.

Dwayne
Old 02-20-2010, 07:58 AM
llev80 please don't call your traditions trivial! One day you will have wives and kids and you'll relent and let them come along. I'd be willing to bet that your tequila toast and your arm wrestling will be a fond memory they'll share with their children after you're gone ;-)
My tradition starts with the booking...When my husband gets to that certain point in the snow removal process. I start going through the pictures of the tropics and before you know it I'm booking our trip!

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers
Old 02-20-2010, 11:52 AM
I only have one tradition so far. Whenever I am about to board the ship for the first time, I always snap a photo as I am about to cross the gangway for the first time.
I did this on my very first cruise. I think it was because I was taking photos inside the cruise ship terminal, and the security told me to stop. So I had to put away my camera, until I was past security.
So here is one of my photos I took when I was about to board the cruise ship for the first time:

Closed Thread

Tags
arm, cameras, carnival, cruise, day, inside, mexican, piture, powered, puerto, rico, ship, surveillance, table, traditions, vbulletin, wrestling