Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 04:58 PM

Have any of the cruises headed to Mexico been changed because of the virus?
Old 04-27-2009, 05:06 PM

I was just about to post something on the same lines. I didn't think they would change itineraries, but wondered if Carnival was putting out some kind of notice about that. Has anyone heard anything?

Carnival Glory - May 2009
Carnival Glory - April 2007
Carnival Glory - April 2005

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-27-2009, 05:51 PM

There have been no reports of Swine Flu on any cruises. As of now there aren't any itinerary changes.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Banned

John Heald just posted this on his Blog.

STATEMENT REGARDING SWINE FLU

Miami - (April 27, 2009) The swine flu is a respiratory disease caused by type A influenza viruses. It is observed regularly in pigs and is uncommon in humans, although human infection can occur in rare instances.

Fortunately, there currently is no evidence of a swine flu pandemic and there have been no reports of guests exhibiting symptoms of swine flu on Carnivalís ships.

Carnival enforces the highest of standards for cleaning and sanitation on all of our ships to prevent the spread of infectious diseases. We are monitoring the situation in Mexico and maintain regular contact with the Centers for Disease Control. We do not anticipate that our guestsí cruise experience will be impacted by this type of illness and will not be making any adjustments to our itineraries.

For further information on swine flu, visit the CDCís web site at www.cdc.gov .
Old 04-27-2009, 07:30 PM

I am not sure there is an answer for how the cruise industry should handle this. Cleanliness will work, but not if someone catches the swine flu and boards a cruise ship. bunch of people in a small space, almost a recipe for flu soup. scary...
Old 04-27-2009, 08:11 PM

If someone sneezes within six feet of you, you could catch it.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:32 AM

The good news is, the treatments available for the flu cure this new strain. I'm sure the ships will stock up on Tamiflu.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:49 AM

My concern is not that Carnival will not keep the ships clean and maintain all the rules and regulations of the CDC......my concern is that once the ShipS docks in Mexico, and all passengers go to the City for the day, Carnival has no control of how the passengers conduct themselves as far as safety issues go to keep themselves safe while they are on shore; thus meaning......when you mix 1,500 plus passengers on a ship back to the U.S. from Mexico, who knows who and how many of them have come in contact with someone from Mexico who may have had the Flu.........it takes sometimes 7 days for the signs and symptoms to show. Also, as I mentioned before, Carnival can try to keep the ships as clean as possible......but they can't keep people from doing things like sneezing, coughing and touching w/o covering their mouths or washing their hands. IT'S A VERY SCARY THING AND Carnival or the ticket holders of Carnival (either of the two) are looking at losing money. If Carnival changes the itinerary then they lose, (becuase many will want their money back and Carnival knows that) and if they don't change the itinerary, then the ticket holders must make a decision to go a head with their Cruise taking a chance that they may or may not come in contact with someone who has the Flu, or to lose their money on their tickets and not go. JUST SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT................BUT I'M SURE I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS THOUGHT ABOUT THIS.

H.B.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Carnival is saying they are evaluating things and will post an update on their website by 5pm today.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:33 PM

Well, we can see that the panic button has been pressed. We take a chance every day of our lives when we wake up and get out of bed. We can only take care of ourselves. We have to wash our hands, stay away from those that are ill, and go to a doctor if we become ill. SARS was scary, the Bird Flu was scary, the Pig Flu is scary, TB is scary, any infectous disease is scary. It is no one's responsibility but our own to take care of ourself. If we come in contact with someone who does have it, there's not much we can do. They showed on the news last night that they were handing out surgical masks in Mexico. Maybe they'll be doing that at the port as well.

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, change, cruise, cruises, glory, itinerary, sandy, year