Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2004, 11:31 AM

Hi,
I just read some reviews about the Carnival Spirit and they indicated that there was a lot of noise and shaking as compared to other ships. The reviews also complained about the food onboard and the horrors of embarquation.
Does anybody know anything about this?
Also, all the reviews about the "Mexican Riviera" seemed to be negative - heat, overcharging for excursions, badgering and poor treatment by people running the excursions, ugliness of the towns (Acapulco, Manzanillo, Zihuatenejo).
(One of the reviews is at - http://www.cruisereviews.com/Carniva...alSpirit51.htm)
I realize that everyone is different and has diff. tastes.
Although I've never taken a cruise, I have travelled quite a bit and am fairly flexible. But am interested in what others have to say about the above info.
Thanks!
Old 12-02-2004, 11:31 AM

Hi,
I just read some reviews about the Carnival Spirit and they indicated that there was a lot of noise and shaking as compared to other ships. The reviews also complained about the food onboard and the horrors of embarquation.
Does anybody know anything about this?
Also, all the reviews about the "Mexican Riviera" seemed to be negative - heat, overcharging for excursions, badgering and poor treatment by people running the excursions, ugliness of the towns (Acapulco, Manzanillo, Zihuatenejo).
(One of the reviews is at - http://www.cruisereviews.com/Carniva...alSpirit51.htm)
I realize that everyone is different and has diff. tastes.
Although I've never taken a cruise, I have travelled quite a bit and am fairly flexible. But am interested in what others have to say about the above info.
Thanks!
Old 12-02-2004, 04:49 PM

Alexa, bear in mind that some of the people who post reviews have some kind of ax to grind. (Not all, certainly.) And you are right that everyone has his own opinion, and that we all see things in different ways. The Carnival Spirit is quite a new ship, and I don't recall having heard anything about mechanical difficulties of that nature. I was on a cruise some years ago (not on Carnival) when the ship began vibrating noticeably while we were at dinner, which happened to be in the restaurant right at the stern (the back end). It continued for a while, then subsided, and we finally concluded that it was the result of our just starting out - perhaps using thrusters, or something else. The crew acted like everything was normal, so we decided not to worry about it.

As far as the Mexican Riviera goes, yes it can be hot in the summer, but so is anyplace else with a warm climate. I haven't seen the towns in question, but I do know that what some people consider old and charming, others think of as ugly. Any trip is what you make of it, and short of something truly disastrous happening, I'd suspect the review you read was written by someone who is difficult to please - and may have had plenty of negative things to say no matter how wonderful the vacation!
Old 12-02-2004, 06:42 PM

Thanks Karen,
I believe you're probably right on all counts!
I'm going in January, so maybe heat/humidity won't be a factor. Either way, I think I can live with it.
Alexa
Old 12-03-2004, 07:23 AM
Banned

Alexa

I would listen to Karen. We were on the Spirit in the mid of Jan this year on the Western Caribbean cruise. The ship is very nice and passenger friendly. You can get from one end of the ship to the other on any deck. The ship was very smooth and quiet other than areas were there was a band or activities. It was a fun ship and a great cruise. Don't worry about anything. We were on the Mexican Riviera cruise (Diamond Princess) in Oct and the weather was not that bad. It was rather cool leaving out of LA so Jan should be a little cooler. We did not stop at any of the ports you listed but I don't go for the ports I just like to sail.

Why worry about other peoples complaints, I think some people aren't happy unless they complain and make other people miserable.

When you get on board have a drink and loosen up.

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cruise, mexican, review, riviera, spirit