Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2007, 09:21 PM
I plan to go on a cruise aboard the Carnival Triumph in November.

Are you able to use your laptop onboard, and have a wireless conection to the Internet? If so, I suppose the wireless signal is not free (OOPS, Sorry Dave!) I suppose the wireless signal is not included in the cruise fare.

So, I was wondering how much extra the wireless network service is. And what kind of hardware and software you need set-up on your laptop?
Old 07-28-2007, 09:29 PM
And..No, I will not use my laptop for business while I am on a cruise.

Instead, I might use it to email my family/friends to tell them I am doing well and having a great time. I might even send them a photo or two.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:46 PM
I don't know about Carnival but on HAL and Princess the wireless accout is just as expensive as using their computers; and you had to be in specific locations, although a lot are moving to ship-wide wireless access. Sorry, I don't rmember the exact charges, but it was around .50 to .75 cents a minute depending on which package you bought.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:55 PM
Thank you, F-Mattox:

Actually, if I could load my memory card from my camera into the computer in the Internet Café, and access the photos contained in the card, I just might leave my laptop at home. But, I don't think it is possible; judging from the last time I was on a cruise.

Or maybe I could use the Internet computers at the ports of call? I never did use them on my last cruises.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:48 AM
Administrator

Using wireless is the same as using the internet cafe computers, cost wise. I like to bring my laptop for the independence it gives me - I don't have to wait for a desktop machine to become available, and I can download all my e-mail instead of having to use internet e-mail to read it online...which wastes those precious minutes of shipboard internet use.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:08 PM
Thank you Dave, for your reply.

Sounds like bringing your laptop along with you on the cruise is better than using the computer in the Internet café.

So, I suppose you can work on your laptop "off-line" when you want to? And then when you are ready to email, you can "log-on" to the network onboard the cruise ship? Is that how it works?

I wonder how you would set that up on your computer. Do you have to have a certain type of hardware (wireless network card) before you get onboard the cruise ship? Do you have to install certain software when onboard the cruise ship?
Old 07-29-2007, 03:32 PM
Hello I sailed on the Triumph in May. I took my laptop with me. In order to use the Internet you have to buy one of the minute packages - I think I paid 50.00 for 100 minutes. they have specials for embarkation day.

When you want to go "live" - you have to create a session - you log in using your password that you create when you create to account and then you can surf and send outbound email - when you want to end your session, you have to log out.

Carnival has "Happy Hours" at various times where you can surf at half price. You show the Internet manager your receipt and they will credit the minutes back to your account.

You will need a wireless access card, you can plug it into the PCMCIA slot- unless your computer is newer and has one built into the motherboard. You don't need any special software - Just your browser Internet Explorer or Mozilla.

I had a cat 6E cabin on Spa deck - I was able to get an intermittent signal, but it was not the greatest. You can get a strong signal in the open areas on deck, or in the Public areas and lounges.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:31 PM
Thank you, PC Guy for your help.

Closed Thread

Tags
7282, board, carnival, computers, cruise, food, internet, laptop, network, reviews, service, triumph, verizon, wireless