Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2003, 08:17 AM

I just received my paperwork from Carnival for our June 8th cruise on the Inspiration. It does say that a $9.75 per day/ person gratuity will be added to your sign and sail card. Assuming that we get first class treatment, I don't have a problem paying the money. My question is this, If we decide not to tip the recommended gratuity, do the "people in charge" make a big deal about it? I hope that this would not happen, but I would like a little insight just in case we would have any problems.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:17 AM

I just received my paperwork from Carnival for our June 8th cruise on the Inspiration. It does say that a $9.75 per day/ person gratuity will be added to your sign and sail card. Assuming that we get first class treatment, I don't have a problem paying the money. My question is this, If we decide not to tip the recommended gratuity, do the "people in charge" make a big deal about it? I hope that this would not happen, but I would like a little insight just in case we would have any problems.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:24 AM

That is the minimum that is charged. If you have someone that gives exceptional service you can add to that. These folks that work on cruise ships make very little wages and so they depend on their tips. Your service will be wonderful, the Inspiration was our first cruise years ago and I am confident that the service hasn't gotten worse. On our last cruise on the Navigator we tipped the minimum only in one case. Our Matr'e d and that's because that's all he earned with us.

We are doing the Elation Migration on Sunday to the Rivera.
Happy Sailing!
Old 05-16-2003, 02:16 PM
we sailed in march on holiday, we had our tips added to sign and sail, much easier in the long run you could go down to pursers office and have it taken off and do the envelopes at the end of the cruise but this was so much better to do it on sail and sign no guessing what to leave anyone, and if you want to, like we did we gave the maitri'd and our room steward an extra envelope, and our waiter since we were treated well by all three, there are stationary envelopes in your room you can use if you want to give something a little xtra. it was well deserve on thier part as they went the extra mile for us more then once.
Old 05-17-2003, 09:22 AM

We have just returned from a back to back on the Victory. The service is superb, no complaints about that. However we paid our gratuities up front, when booking. This proved to be very cost effective. Beware that these gratuities are only for the room, everything else that you purchase on board will have gratuities added to the bill also. If you order room service, the steward who brings the order will expect to be tipped. Keep lots of one dollar bills ready for this.
Old 05-17-2003, 06:22 PM

If you prefer, you may go to the Purser's Desk during your cruise and let them know that you do not want to have the gratuities added to your shipboard account. They will have you sign a release form and will provide you with the necessary envelopes so that you can tip any amount you want using cash; the amount depending on what you feel the calibre of service deserves.
I personally do not think that pre-tipping is of value. I have questioned waiters about this and the usual response is that they do not know who has given what until the end of the cruise.
Have a super cruise. Bobby

Closed Thread

Tags
gratuity