Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2007, 02:04 PM

Question????? My husband and I are booked for the 7 day Conquest Cruise out of Galveston on April 8 to the Western Carribean. We do not have a passport, Carnival says we do not have to have one, we can use our BC and photo ID. My sister and her husband (who are going with us) heard a horror story from someone who went on a cruise without a passport. They said it took forever for them to get on board because they didn't have a passport, others w/passports basically walked right on board? This prompted my sister and her husband to go apply for a passport. We don't travel much and didn't really want to spend the money if I didn't have to.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 02-13-2007, 02:13 PM

we had the same ???'s. We are going to Bahamas on NCL ot of NYC. The choice right now is yours - to get a passport now will have to be rushed - most take 8 + weeks (so I've heard). We will be cruising with BC and Licenses... really don't want to spend $200+ if I don't HAVE to. Besides - they got on the ship - just might take a few more minutes.... Happy cruise
Old 02-13-2007, 02:28 PM

The current rules say you do not need a Passport for cruise travel to the carribean/mexico until NEXT year. I do not know why your sister had troubles. So, if you are within the 8 week (I would give it 10) timeframe to get your passport port, I would skip it.

The danger comes in if you have to leave the ship and fly home for an emergency OR if you don't make it back to the ship before it leaves a port. Not sure how customs would handle that because the rules are that you need one now for air travel. (But maybe not for travel between Caribbean and Mexico??)

so if you can't get one.. don't try.. not sure its worth $200 to express one. You used to be able to go the the passport offices in person in New York and Miami and get one in a day without the expediting fee, but I'm not sure if that is still possible.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 02-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Banned

Just got home from Mexico. You do not need a passport. It would be nice, but if you have your birth certificate (must be original with the raised seal) and a photo I.D.(license) you're covered under Carnival.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:48 PM

Did your sister's cruise involve international travel? Even cruises to Alaska that leave or end in Vancouver would require a passport. If you plan to do any travel in the future you will need a passport even for cruising. You can read about the passport laws here
Old 02-13-2007, 11:45 PM

Andrea did you fly???
Old 02-14-2007, 07:49 AM

My sister hasn't gone on a cruise yet, we are going on the Conquest together. She and her husband went ahead and applied for their Passport just to have. I think I will SAVE MY MONEY!!! After all, that gives me more to spend on my trip....CAN'T WAIT UNTIL APRIL 8TH.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 02-14-2007, 07:58 AM
Banned

We flew into LAX from Kennedy. They would like you to have a passport. We checked with Carnival before we left home. My husband and oldest daughter did have a passport. Mine has expired and my youngest daughter has not gotten one yet. Believe me, they are pushing passports and they would certainly like to see everyone have one. Going through immigration back at Long Beach was a breeze. He asked me my maiden name and he asked my youngest daughter what her relation to me was and he even asked my oldest daughter her birthday and she had her own passport. If you fly directly into Mexico or Canada you do need a passport now. As a matter of fact, we have relatives in Montreal and I cannot go to see them again without a passport in order to cross over. I am getting a new passport this week. It is always safer to have one.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:00 AM
Banned

BTW... llk... you will need a passport soon enough. They aren't going to allow birth certificates with photo I.D.'s forever. They only cost $95.00. It's well worth the peace of mind while traveling.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:08 AM

Andrea, I know I will eventually need one. But we really don't travel much and we are not flying anywhere for this cruise. We live in TX and are leaving from Galveston. I know it's better to be safe than sorry, but it is less than 8 weeks til I travel, my luck, even if I went and applied for it, I wouldn't receive it before the cruise date. I am hoping they pass the new passcard thingy, it seems much more economical.

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
carvanal, cruise, cruises, cruising, dont, fanat, galveston, immigration, passcard, passport, review