Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2007, 10:43 PM

I have read that there is cell phone service on the carnival ships. What exactly does this mean? Can you use a cell phone while sailing? Can you call anywhere?
Old 03-25-2007, 01:21 AM

If you can get a signal through your service would be normal for you. If you use Carnival's service they charge heavy duty I heard.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:19 PM

Does anyone know what the charge from Carnival is??
Old 03-25-2007, 09:39 PM

We sail on the Spirit to Mexico at the end of Feb. Carnival told us they do not charge for the service. We were told that what ever rate our carrier charged for the area we were in would be charged by the carrier. We have Verzion, we were charged 65 cents a minute, Carnival did not add a fee on to the bill.
A word of advice. You need to let your carrier know where and when you will be going... otherwise you phone will not be activated for that area.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:48 PM
Banned

How about a $25 rebate to anyone who DOES NOT bring their cell phone on the cruise? Is a cell phone really that necessary while we take our cruise vacation? With obvious exceptions (i.e. an elderly family in ill health), I say no it is not necessary. I am amazed at how dependent our society has become on their "gadgets." Silly gadgets hangin' out of your ears, video games on phones, etc etc etc. To me, and I'll preface this comment with the fact that it is merely an opinion (mine), if there is truly a need for someone to reach me on a cruise, the people needing to reach me can do so through the cruise line. There are ways to reach us in an emergency. Oh, by the way, where did I put my IPOD? Dang it.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:18 PM

Chief, I gotta agree with you on this. It drives me nuts people walking through the grocery store talking non-sense outloud on cell phones. This came up about a year ago and I threatened to throw any cell phone overboard. I have mellowed since then. I had went to the movies and some rude person behind me was talking on a cell phone during the movie.

I can see why the question though, as the costs are outrageous for the ship phone service. But for non emergencies, I don't even want to see someone walking around talking on one.

I did follow up and gdjoslin is correct they are not charging. Just on your carrier's end for roaming.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:57 PM

Well all I can tell you Islandcruz is that NO surcharge was added to our cell bill or our sign and sail card.
I was surprised Carnival did not make money on the deal. I got more done in 5 minutes on the phone at 65 cents a minute than I di on the net in 15 minutes at 75 cents a minute. go figure.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:01 PM

You know the angle might be here. Cell companies pay big bucks in rent to put up towers.
The ships might be making a bundle from the cell companies for the "tower site".
Just a thought.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:08 PM
No, I think you hit it on the head.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:19 PM

http://aboutus.vzw.com/international...l%20Pride.html
I did not see the Spirit listed here, so I used the Pride. I also rechecked my cell bill. We had two calls. One for 8 minutes cost $5.52, that is 69 cents. The other is four minutes $2.76, that is also 69 cents a minute.
The site says S2.49. Do not know what to say... was I luck or does Spirit have a different rate?

Closed Thread