Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Can you get cruise insurance if you know you have a pre existing condition? I imagine so but I know you cannot get normal insurance if you do. baby Doll, I assume the cruise has passed. Did you ever think to try to sell it? You might of had to sell it for less but a little money back would have been better than no money back. You can usually change names up to about 2 days before sailing. There is always someone looking for a cruise deal. Just tell yourself that your health is much more important than the money lost for a cruise.

SanDee
Old 04-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Many insurers will accept pre-existing conditions if you buy a policy within "X" days of making the initial booking. It can vary from 7 to 14 days grace period from the time of the booking, and in some cases less than that or perhaps as much as 21 days.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Can you get cruise insurance if you know you have a pre existing condition? I imagine so but I know you cannot get normal insurance if you do. baby Doll, I assume the cruise has passed. Did you ever think to try to sell it? You might of had to sell it for less but a little money back would have been better than no money back. You can usually change names up to about 2 days before sailing. There is always someone looking for a cruise deal. Just tell yourself that your health is much more important than the money lost for a cruise.
SanDee, That is excellent advice for future circumstances. I've sold a cruise once when in penalty as a last resort. The pre-existing condition insurance is another good idea. It can't help baby doll at this point, but it may help future cruisers.

I also agree with drlivingston about baby doll trying to talk with someone else. I know people, including myself that have had at least partial deposits credited for future cruises in the past.

Dwayne
Old 04-06-2009, 09:29 AM

Babydoll, sorry for the late reply but I had a thought last night about this problem. Did you by any chance book and/or pay for this cruise on your credit card? Our VISA Platinum (Canadian -don't know about American rules) automatically pays ALL the insurances available on a vacation if the card was used for booking AND final payment. In Canada the agent must, by law, offer insurance at the time of booking. All the agents know which cards cover what LOL!

Please keep us informed of your progress with Carnival. We had a terrible situation with them about 6 years ago and we found that Carnival won't even respond to formal letters or to agent inquiries. We were finally faced with legal action and our lawyer made it quite clear it is nearly impossible to sue an American corporation that doesn't have a Candian "face". We were forced to accept their decision as final and walk away. Needless to say - No Carnival cruises ever again. It would appear you are correct, they are heartless. Once they have your money they don't have to give it back and they won't. Your only recourse is insurance.

It would be interesting to know if anyone on this board ever did get money back directly from any cruise line without resorting to insurance applications.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Sorry about your situation BAbydoll
I hope get well pretty soon and I will be praying for it
As for Carnival here is what we say in Puerto Rico

"The money have no nation compromise and a few corporation have no feelings in their heart"
I know I lost something in translation
but I hope Carnival is not one of them...get well soon
Old 04-06-2009, 12:16 PM

I would like to preface my statement that as a moderator I feel it is our job to provide unbiased and factual information not based on any personal emotion, or loyalty, to any one cruise line name brand. Individuals may, or may not, sympathize or empathize with a posters situation. However; that does not negate the facts of any given situation. That being said, here are the cold hard facts:

Fact 1: Any company is in business to make a profit. They have an obligation to their investors to make that profit. The business also has an obligation to the consumer, to provide a reasonable price for the product and services they sell.

Fact 2: A business (in this case cruise line), has no obligation to compensate or reimburse a consumer, when the consumer has not met the guidelines of General conditions or contracts of the cruise line.

Fact 3: It is an individuals responsibility to take out insurance in the event they cannot meet the General conditions or contracts of the cruise line.

Fact 4: It isn't the cruise lines concern why an individual did or didn't take out insurance. The fact remains the individual made a choice.

Fact 5: A cruise line may or may not make an exception to an individuals situation. However; Facts 1-4 still remain. A cruise line can't meet their obligation to Fact 1, if they make exceptions to every individual, who acting on emotion, thinks their situation is unique and different from all the other individuals making the same claims.

Fact 6: Frivilous lawsuits only hurt everyone. They are self-serving only to the individual suing. Thus, is the reason they are called frivilous. If an individual finds themselves in a situation they deem as unpleasant, then they have a responsibility to remove themselves from that situation.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:51 PM

Well said CF
Old 04-06-2009, 12:52 PM
as harsh as that is,i agree 100%. they should have had insurance bottom line. if you dont you are taking that chance. out of all my cruises i have insured 1. thats my choice.so if i lose it,it is my fault not ccl.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-06-2009, 03:04 PM

Cruise Fanatic, your explanation is very clear and well stated.

One other point is that the cruise lines' rules state that your money is non-refundable as of final payment date. Even if you don't make your final payment, whatever money you *have* paid (deposit, for example) becomes non-refundable as of final payment date. End of story. Those are the rules.

If passengers have purchased insurance, that's between the passengers and the insurance company. It has nothing to do with the cruise line, and in fact, unless you buy insurance through the cruise line, they don't even know if you have insurance or not. If you're past final payment date, you take it up with the insurance company.

If you do buy insurance through a cruise line, it's not even the cruise line that actually sells you the insurance. They sell a policy from an the insurance company with whom they work, such as BerkleyCare. Cruise lines are not in the insurance business.

Cruise Fanatic is quite right that making an exception for one person is no different than not having their rules at all. A lot of cancellations are due to unfortunate circumstances. That's not the cruise line's fault or responsibility, and as much as they would like to help out someone who did not follow the rules, it's just not up to them. They can't. And all the passengers who DID spend money on insurance would feel the same way.

It's not personal, it's business.

Sandy
Old 04-06-2009, 07:32 PM
I read each of your responses and thank each of you who posted. I guess I was born in an age where the customer is, or was like family, and is valued as they want them to return. Your comments are exactly what I mean. Today it is not like dealing with a store you deal with on an ongoing basis...(7 cruises) If I was the owner of Carnival I would at least send a bottle of wine, or chocolates or a $10.00 gift card on the cruise we are going on...SOMETHING to let the customer know you care about them. How hard is it to say I am sorry you are battling this awful disease and we here at Carnival value you as a customer and care about you even though by our policy says we cannot return your deposit in the form of on Board Credit. Now how hard is that instead of a cold NO letter. But like you said they are so big now that we are just a number in the $$$ and not personal anymore. You know how you feel when you leave a week on a cruise ship? You have made new friends and you feel so close with your cruise director as they have spent the week letting you know they are happy you are cruising with them. Why can't this spread over to the corporate branch? I think I was actually more hurt at the cold letter rather than the money. Does this make sense? Maybe if I go to a smaller cruise line they will have the time for the more personal touch. I never thought of selling the cruise..that was a good idea, and yes I did put the charge on my card. Never thought of that either.

Although it was a long year I am cancer free and put the $750.00 I did get back..minus the $200.00 penalty, on the Eastern Caribben Cruise on the Liberty..So I will be seeing you back in PR my friend...Love your home
2004 Esctasy CATALINA-MEXIC0
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
2006 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2007 Pride MEXICAN RIVIERA
2008 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2008 Destiny SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN
2009 Liberty EASTERN CARIBBEAN
2010 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2011 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2012 Crown Princess EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN

Closed Thread

Tags
booked, cancder, cancer, carnival, change, credit, cruise, cruises, esctasy, line, patient, patients, reviews, shipboard, wrong