Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 03:54 PM
After all these years cruising with Carnival I am so disapointed that they treated me this way. I had a cruise booked as I have been battling cancer and needed to get away from all the hospital stuff. In the middle they put me on radiation and that was right in the middle of the short get away cruise being the treatments were everyday for six weeks so I couldn't go and had to cancel. I sent the paperwork to Carnival showing this was all true, I even booked another 7 day cruise in August way far away from the treatments. I petitioned not to be penalized for canceling. You would think Carnival would have a heart for a cancer patient and at least give us shipboard credit on the August cruise. I guess they are just to big to deal with their faithful customers on a one to one basis. They can pocket the penalty money, but they lost a customer and one who always told their friends to go on Carnival. This will be my last voyage with Carnival. Sorry to complain I am just very upset.
2004 Esctasy CATALINA-MEXIC0
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
2006 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2007 Pride MEXICAN RIVIERA
2008 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2008 Destiny SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN
2009 Liberty EASTERN CARIBBEAN
2010 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2011 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2012 Crown Princess EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN
Old 04-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Sorry to hear about this. How long ago did you submit the documentation? Did you use an agent or book this cruise directly with Carnival?
Old 04-01-2009, 07:25 PM

I'm sorry to hear your story. And I do not want to sound as heartless as you think Carnival is, but you KNEW you were in cancer treatments, why on earth did you not insure your cruise? If anyone has a reason to be concerned that they may have a health issue come up to prevent them from cruising it's a cancer patient. You should have bought insurance either through Carnival or a outside company. My mother in law is going through cancer treatments, When we booked a family cruise I insisted that they buy cruise insurance just for this situation. So should have you.

Yes, it would have been very nice of Carnival to give you some form of credit on your next booking, but putting the blame for this entirely on Carnival's shoulders is not fair either.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 04-01-2009, 07:38 PM

I have to agree with Jim on this one. We aren't trying to be cruel. Several of us on this board have also been through cancer. However; Jim is right, you should have taken out insurance. There are so many different forms of cancer, and medical conditions, that I'm sure Carnival is bombarded daily with request to have mercy and make refunds. Insurance is there for a reason. I'm sorry you feel so negative toward Carnival over this.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:05 PM
I agree with everyone,insurance should have been bought.and FYI all the other cruiselines would have done the same thing.now i think you should get maybe half as a credit on another cruise,but who is the blame here.not Carnival

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-01-2009, 08:48 PM

baby doll, I am very sorry to hear about this as well. While they may be within their contract rights, I think they should have given you a future credit of some sort for this circumstance. Especially if you told them of the situation before canceling. To me it would be the right thing to do for a loyal customer.

Without knowing all of the details about the dates and order of the cancellation/re-booking request, I can't say much more about how they handled this. Again, I am sorry to hear of this.

Dwayne
Old 04-02-2009, 05:28 AM

Baby doll, I'm sorry to hear this as well. However, you might be able to work something out with your oncologist. I was going through cancer treatments, too, and we had a cruise. My oncologist let me re-arrange my treatments. The oncologists have some cushion with treatments, they have to because things happen to interrupt a schedule. But since you already cancelled, I guess it's too late to ask. I'm sorry Carnival didn't treat you any better, but truly sorry you didn't get insurance. I did because I didn't know if I'd even be alive to be on board my cruise. I was blessed to have been able to go, and even more blessed that I'm still alive to cruise some more! I keep booking, but always buy insurance. Best wishes in your fight, you can do it!
Old 04-02-2009, 08:38 AM
Penny I did try and rearrange, but they told me what is more important, my life or a cruise.

The ones who posted about the insurance I always get insurance and have this one coming up, but all this was so quickly that happened I couldn't. Would not be right to book a cruise, have to change and then get insurance. I could have when I found this out just waited to cancel after I got the insurance but I didn't think this would be Kosher. I just thought under the circumstances Carnival would be nicer about it. For one they had the right booking number but the wrong ship.

DuWayne: Thank you for your comment

Dave: A Carnival agent booked the cruise and I get the insurance on my own. Remember I had ask you what was the best co before? I just hadn't gotten it at the same time. I usually get it when I do the other things, like find a flight, insurance, etc. All this happened in one week. That is why my agent told me to write a letter to customer relations with explanation (I even sent proof) and usually within six weeks AFTER the cruise they let you know. Guess to find out if they could rebook the room. The $750.00 I put on the new cruise.

Its not like I was asking from them for money in my pocket. An on board credit they are getting back anyway in the form of things bought on ship. I usually spent on the excess of $300.00 per cruise on pictures anyway along with a tab of $500.00.
2004 Esctasy CATALINA-MEXIC0
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
2006 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2007 Pride MEXICAN RIVIERA
2008 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2008 Destiny SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN
2009 Liberty EASTERN CARIBBEAN
2010 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2011 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2012 Crown Princess EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN
Old 04-03-2009, 08:06 AM

Drat, your radiation oncologist sounds like mine, but I told her that I had booked the cruise over a year in advance. It wasn't just a mini, it was a 10 day. She finally worked with me. A couple of times, the machine was down. My medical oncologist worked with me, too. I had a couple of times that I couldn't take chemo because of my blood count, so that messed up the schedule, too.

I wish Carnival would have given you an obc, but I guess if they did for everyone, they'd not be in business. I truly pray that all goes well for you, including your up-coming cruise!
Old 04-03-2009, 12:25 PM

Like Penny, I am a cancer survivor as well. (3 different bouts of radiation and chemo) In my opinion, you just haven't talked to the right people at Carnival. If your oncologist provides the necessary documentation, I am sure that you will be able to recuperate some of your initial investment. It may be in the form of onboard credit but it's better than, "Sorry, there is nothing we can do for you." The word "no" is not always the end to an argument. Everyone you speak to up until Mr. Gerry Cahill has a supervisor (and even Mr. Cahill has to answer to CCL investors). Don't give up. I am sure that you have learned a huge lesson from this but if you can beat cancer, then you obviously have the strength to negotiate with Carnival.

Closed Thread

Tags
booked, cancder, cancer, carnival, change, credit, cruise, cruises, esctasy, line, patient, patients, reviews, shipboard, wrong