Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2007, 04:17 PM

We are cruising on the Destiny on May 27th out of San Juan to St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia and Antigua. So any of these ports have to be tendered? We have been to St. Thomas, but none of the others....

Caribbean Hotel Reviews
Old 05-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Banned

The only 2 that I care for out of these are Antigua and St. Thomas. the other's are like The BAHAMAS or Jamacia. Don't wander far from port! Tom
Old 05-14-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thomas stanton:
The only 2 that I care for out of these are Antigua and St. Thomas. the other's are like The BAHAMAS or Jamacia. Don't wander far from port! Tom
I beg to differ.

I found Barbados to be fine. I am a single female who cruises solo. I had no problem wandering around Dominica or Barbados. I didn't go very far in San Juan but met a woman who was also traveling solo and she just hopped in a cab in San Juan and the driver took her all over the place. She said she had a ball and ate some really good food.

In Barbados, after a short tour by a cab driver I picked up outside the terminal, I went to Boatyard beach. I was alone and thoroughly loved my time at this beach. No one bothered me, offered me drugs, tried to pick me up, or hassled me in any way. In fact, when I went into the water, I left my belongings on my beach chair and it was fine everything time I came out of the water.

In Dominica, after my tour with Beno, I wandered around the downtown area for a few hours. Again, at this time of the day I was alone. I wondered up and down all the little streets and in and out of the shops. No one, I repeat, No one offered to sell me drugs, hassled me or bothered me in any way. In fact, I found the people very friendly in a casual (non-touristy) kind of way. I brought a plastic sandwich bag of sugar cane cut into bite-sized pieces and then ended up sharing it with an older local lady who tried to sell me a plastic flower. Very nice way to spend the last few hours of a port visit.

Bahamas!!! Been there several times, never a problem. Never hassled, never offered drugs, have wandered all over the place, no problems. I like the Bahamas because it seems to be the most financial stable of the islands. Most of the people seemed not even to notice me. The cabbies like to flirt but they are harmless and rather cute.

I keep reading about people who get accosted, hassled and offered drugs on these islands. I have been on several cruises and have never, ever been offered drugs and, if I have, it was so quick with an equally quick negative shake of my head that it does not stick in my memory. Where are all these people who are trying to sell drugs to the cruiseship passengers?

IMHO, for a proportion of the cruising public (depending upon what part of the US they come from), the caribbean islands may be the first time they are a minority and/or are in a bustling or fast moving environment, which can create a sense of unease.

Go and enjoy yourself. Use a bit of common sense but none of those islands are any dangerous than any of the major tourist cities in the U.S.

P.S. I live and work in NYC.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Victory, CCL Imagination, CCL Victory

Past Cruzes: RCCL Navigator, RCCL Majesty, CCL Destiny,
Glory (2007),Liberty (2007), Fantasy (2007), Destiny (2006), PofAm (2005), Inspiration (2005), Fascination (2004), Victory (2004), Fascination (2004), RCCL VOS(2003), Fantasy (1999)
Old 05-14-2007, 04:10 PM

Thanks for all of the good information on Dominica and Barbados.....now....my question is....does the Destiny go directly into the port or do you have to get on a boat (tender) and be taken into the port?

Caribbean Hotel Reviews
Old 05-14-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Leta:
Thanks for all of the good information on Dominica and Barbados.....now....my question is....does the Destiny go directly into the port or do you have to get on a boat (tender) and be taken into the port?
I did the destiny in the fall when they were still going to Aruba. None of their port stops were tendered. Now they go to Antigua and St. Croix. I do not believe either of these islands require tendering.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Victory, CCL Imagination, CCL Victory

Past Cruzes: RCCL Navigator, RCCL Majesty, CCL Destiny,
Glory (2007),Liberty (2007), Fantasy (2007), Destiny (2006), PofAm (2005), Inspiration (2005), Fascination (2004), Victory (2004), Fascination (2004), RCCL VOS(2003), Fantasy (1999)
Old 05-15-2007, 07:20 AM

If you like snorkeling, one of the best snorkels we've ever been on was in Dominica. It's the champagne reef snorkel, absolutely breath-taking. Take a catamaran or boat to the dive, do not try to do a beach dive. Although you can, the beach is made of boulders and it's not pleasant trying to get into and out of the water.(We did this the first time we were there.) The last time we were there, we took a catamaran sail/snorkel through the ship and it was great. You snorkel over a volcano vent and the bubbles in the water make it appear that you are in a glass of champagne, absolutely wonderful! We did a catamaran sail/snorkel in Antigua and there were way too many jelly fish for me, if you look for Scott Taylor's posts, he went to Pineapple Beach there and they had a great time. In Barbados, take the Tiami catamaran sail/snorkel. They are the best catamarans, great crews, and if you do the one with lunch served, great food. There is good shopping right at the terminal. St. Lucia is wonderful, very friendly people, and the snorkeling is ok. The last time we were there, we went to Pigeon Island. If you do it through the ship, you'll save money. They have a pirate's ship tour that takes you there for some swimming/snorkeling and gives you enough time to tour the fort. There is a snack shop there, some nice beaches, and it's an interesting tour. St. Thomas take the ferry to St. John and the cab to Trunk Bay. It is one of the top ten beaches in the world. There is a self-guided snorkeling tour about 50 yards off of the beach. The water is crystal clear, warm and calm. It is beautiful. In San Juan a tour of Old San Juan is fun or the Bacardi Rum Factory. You have a great itinerary and hope you enjoy each of the islands. Best wishes and have a wonderful cruise!
Old 05-15-2007, 12:08 PM

Thanks....we are really looking forward to all of the ports. Also, I can't wait to be "waited" on while we're on the ship!!!

Caribbean Hotel Reviews
Old 05-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Banned

I beg to differ
If you go looking for trouble it will find you is my moto.I have been going to some of these same ports for 35 years, and the same type of places when I was in the U.S. Army stationed all over the world.In myopinion it is just plain foolish to be wandering around unfamiliar surronding. I would not do that in the U.S. EITHER. I am not afraid of much, I geuss I just travel a little smarter than some other people do.When the locals tell you to stay near the port or not to wander off by yourself you really should listen, when the cruise line tells you not to wander off you should listen...
Tom

Closed Thread

Tags
aruba, barbados, caribbean, carnival, carribean, cruise, glory, port, ports, require, southern, tender, tendering, tours, wich