Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2006, 05:08 AM

How long does Carnival give you to leave the ship once it is back in port? We get back to Miami at 8AM, so I wondered what time they would throw us off. Also, flying in and out of Ft. Lauderdale rather than Miami is cheaper for us, but how much of a pain would that be?

Free Cruise Clocks
Old 11-18-2006, 05:28 AM
Administrator

The usual problem people have with flying to FLL instead of MIA for a Miami-based cruise is the transportation. A taxi could wipe out most of what you saved in the air fare. The only times we have used FLL for Miami cruises was years back when we let the cruise line do the air and they provided the buses.

Carnival wants to move everyone off the ship as quickly as possible. You will probably arrive earlier than 8am anyway, and I'd expect to be off the ship by no later than 10am or so, with that being the last groups of passengers. Nothing is open other than the breakfast service and cash-only soft drinks at one bar, so it isn't as though you could do anything other than sit.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:44 AM

Thanks Dave. It's a good tip you gave about the transportation from FLL.

It also sounds like we will have a chance to eat breakfast before we leave. Realistically, we probably shouldn't book a return flight before noon then.

Free Cruise Clocks
Old 11-18-2006, 07:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by doulabug:

It also sounds like we will have a chance to eat breakfast before we leave. Realistically, we probably shouldn't book a return flight before noon then.
You will have plenty of time for breakfast. I usually order room service on my door hanger the night before and have my coffee, bagels and danish wake me up.

We don't ever book a return flight before 1pm. especially if the airport is any distance away)
You never know what can delay debarkation.
Before we became Platinum members and used the VIP debarkation...we would get off the ship around 10am...get to the airport by 11:00am and have 2 hours to check in before our flight leaves.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:

No, booking a flight before noon is not a good idea. Even if you cruised out of Port Everglades, which is just a few minutes drive from FLL, you could be pushing it by flying before noon. Before 9/11 we used to routinely get a 10:30 to 11 am flight at FLL and make it with plenty of time. Too chancy now.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:51 AM

1PM would be the earliest to consider, As Dave said it takes so much longer now. That is if everything goes smoothly.

Not that it won't. But you don't want to be pressed for time and end your cruise with a worry.

IslandCruz
Old 11-20-2006, 08:00 AM

Someone made mention of transportation to FFL after debarkation. We too are flying out of Lauderdale, and are wondering what is the best way to get there from Port. We will be booking a hotel in the Fort Laderdale area to stay the night after we arrive back at port, thus not catching a plane until the day after the cruise. Does anyone know of a hotel in the FT. Lauderdale are that provides a shuttle from the Port to their hotel???

Post Your Caribbean Trip Report
Old 11-20-2006, 09:21 AM

My apologies, but I found the answer to my question about hotels in another part of this site. Should have posted the question in the proper spot in the first place.

Post Your Caribbean Trip Report
Old 11-20-2006, 09:30 AM
Quote:
How long does Carnival give you to leave the ship once it is back in port? We get back to Miami at 8AM, so I wondered what time they would throw us off. Also, flying in and out of Ft. Lauderdale rather than Miami is cheaper for us, but how much of a pain would that be?
Dave56 is correct about departure from the ship. However I have a differetn experience flying in to FFL and sailing out of Maimi. I've done it twice but both times we went a day early and stayed at the Comfort Inn just a couple of miles from the airport ($7 cab fare as I recall) and then we arranged with the hotel for bus service. I forgot how much extra but 10 - 15 per person was all. Once we were in a 20 pasenger carrier and the other time a full size coach. It worked well for us and the air fare to FFL more than made up for the transport. Coming back, Carnival has buses to FFL that you can buy on board just like an excursion.
Gordon
Old 11-20-2006, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by msubobcats:
Someone made mention of transportation to FFL after debarkation. We too are flying out of Lauderdale, and are wondering what is the best way to get there from Port. We will be booking a hotel in the Fort Laderdale area to stay the night after we arrive back at port, thus not catching a plane until the day after the cruise. Does anyone know of a hotel in the FT. Lauderdale are that provides a shuttle from the Port to their hotel???
Carnival has buses that will take you back to FFL airport. you can buy them like any excursion. If your hotel is at the airport or close you could cab from there. I like the Comport Inn about 2 miles form the airport, I'm not sure of the address but it is next to a Hampton Inn. We stayed there 2 times and found it good.

If you are not on Carnival I'm sure the other lines do the same. The buses are not Cruise line specific.
Gordon

Closed Thread

Tags
arriving, back, carnival, catch, cruise, cruises, departure, flight, free, long, miami, port, ports, returns, stay, time