Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 05:59 AM

Just returned from a Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Victory. Been on six cruises, our first on Carnival. Never again.

Our group of 12 boarded on Sunday afternoon in San Juan.

On Wed morning at breakfast one of our group (Tony)became ill (light headed, nauseous, non-responsive). It took about 10 to 15 minutes for the ships medical people to arrive. Tony was eventually wheeled town to the infirmary where he was treated for a possible heart attack.

In time it was recommended that Tony transfer to a hospital (we were in Barbados) and an ambulance was called. Three hours later the ambulance arrived but Tony was feeling better and declined the hospital against medical advice. Bu 4:00 PM Tony was feeling well enough to leave the infirmiry, he was diagnosed with a stomach virus and advised not to leave the ship until 2:00 PM the next day.

I wish that was the whole story but it is not. On the prior monday evening, our first meal at our assigned table, we entered the dining room when it opened for the late seating at 8:15. I believe because of poor service and maybe the table we were at (Table 104) were the last table served and the last people out of the dining room. It took an hour until 9:15 for us to get our main entres. Talk about being P.O.

I believe that it was on Thursday evening that we had Lobster on the menu. We had to send two of three lobsters back to the chef because they we raw (pink) on the inside.

To wrap it up, on Saturday at lunch, Tony (yes, the same one) picked out some fried chicken and after starting to eat found that one of the pieces was bloody on the inside. The service staff agreed that the chicken should not have been put out like that and took it back to the chef. They did note Tony's stateroom number.

Tony has not heard from Carnival (I don't think he expected and word from them). Our travel agent has reported our experience to his association.

It is a shame because the rest of the cruise was at least acceptable.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:59 AM

Just returned from a Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Victory. Been on six cruises, our first on Carnival. Never again.

Our group of 12 boarded on Sunday afternoon in San Juan.

On Wed morning at breakfast one of our group (Tony)became ill (light headed, nauseous, non-responsive). It took about 10 to 15 minutes for the ships medical people to arrive. Tony was eventually wheeled town to the infirmary where he was treated for a possible heart attack.

In time it was recommended that Tony transfer to a hospital (we were in Barbados) and an ambulance was called. Three hours later the ambulance arrived but Tony was feeling better and declined the hospital against medical advice. Bu 4:00 PM Tony was feeling well enough to leave the infirmiry, he was diagnosed with a stomach virus and advised not to leave the ship until 2:00 PM the next day.

I wish that was the whole story but it is not. On the prior monday evening, our first meal at our assigned table, we entered the dining room when it opened for the late seating at 8:15. I believe because of poor service and maybe the table we were at (Table 104) were the last table served and the last people out of the dining room. It took an hour until 9:15 for us to get our main entres. Talk about being P.O.

I believe that it was on Thursday evening that we had Lobster on the menu. We had to send two of three lobsters back to the chef because they we raw (pink) on the inside.

To wrap it up, on Saturday at lunch, Tony (yes, the same one) picked out some fried chicken and after starting to eat found that one of the pieces was bloody on the inside. The service staff agreed that the chicken should not have been put out like that and took it back to the chef. They did note Tony's stateroom number.

Tony has not heard from Carnival (I don't think he expected and word from them). Our travel agent has reported our experience to his association.

It is a shame because the rest of the cruise was at least acceptable.

<edited topic title>
Old 04-04-2009, 06:09 AM

non responsive as in not responding to anything? that was NOT food poisening....tony needs to see his medical doctor right away...do not wait.
sorry you had a bad food experience. once on the celebration i got food poisening...last night of the cruise. took me about 12 hrs before i started feeling better...
It must be very hard to cook for all of the people on a ship and have everything perfect, but raw food is totally unacceptable.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:45 AM

I agree with Macmom111 on this one. The food would have to have been extremely poisonous for here to eat it and suddenly become so ill that he was unresponsive. It could have been a food allergy that he did not know he had. He should indeed see a doctor. It takes a while for a stomach virus to manifest itself, certainly longer than the time it took to eat a breakfast.
(Not that it could not have been something he ate earlier in the cruise or even possibly before he got on the ship)

I have never had bad food on a Carnival cruise. In fact I thought the food on Carnival was better than on our RCI cruise (but not by much). I guess you were unlucky in getting get some under cooked food on your cruise. That's a shame and I would think that Carnival would have followed up with you by now.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 04-04-2009, 04:12 PM

Sorry to hear Tony was in poor health, as I read this I asked my wife{ who is a emergency physician} and tony’s health issues do not seem to be tied into the food, as for the lobster, I know people who eat it raw,,, I agree it might and should have been cooked more, same with the chicken, but we have to keep in mind when you are cooking for over 2,000 guest 3 times a day plus the crew , that is over 9,000 meals a day, if they make 98% wonderful meals that is 180 meals that are not perfect,, they do try to do their best,, sorry for your poor time

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 04-04-2009, 07:17 PM

I am no doctor, but i don't believe the problem was from the food. I have had food poisening before and it takes longer than that before you feel really bad. I agree about the under cooked food and have gotten it before on Carnival and RCCI. I just send it back and get another.That kind of thing with happen on any cruise line.These people are cooking alot of food for alot of people. Overall,Carnival food is about the same as RCCI,with Carnival having a slight edge, except for the great pizza on Carnival and terrible pizza on RCCI. The worst food we have had was on a 5 day RCCI cruise and I also got the virus going around on the ship and spent all day in bed. I just think things can happen like that on any cruise line and it didn't stop us from sailing on RCCI again.Sorry for your bad time.
CCL Elation 2005
CCL Pride 2006
RCCI Splendor 2006
RCCI Serenade Hawaii 2007
RCCI Serenade Alaska 2008
CCL Ecstasy 2008
RCCI AOS 2009
RCCI Voyager 2009
CCL Conquest 2010
CCL Ecstasy 2010
Old 04-04-2009, 08:45 PM

Food poisoning takes at least 10-12 hours to fully digest in the stomach,but usually sometime within that time frame the natural stomach reaction of rejecting spoiled food starts in with the end result of either throwing up or having a bad case of the runs.As a former Chef on Carnival ships,every precaution is taken to ensure that under cooked food is not served, but things do slip by un noticed. The Quality Control is very high and I know from past experience if there had been a major problem or concern and brought to the attention of the Ships Steward it would have been addressed at that time. Please understand that by saying it was sent back to the Chef is not really fair as there are 10-15 different chef's on duty every shift.
Just thought I'd say my two bits worth
Old 04-04-2009, 11:23 PM

I am sorry to hear of Tony's illness during this cruise.

Thank you, canuckcrusiers and well said.

There are several things out of the ordinary in the original post. I don't want to pick the post apart line by line. I will mention a few though.

First off, "Carnival Victory Food" is not dangerous according to the last CDC ship inspection report. Hence, I will change the topic title to Carnival Victory. I wouldn't want anyone possibly being liable for posting such a statement.

Anyone could have a bout of illness on a ship. It doesn't necessarily mean it has anything to do with the ship. If Tony was in dire straights of being ill he should have followed the advice given. Since he felt better at 4pm I highly doubt he had any kind of food related illness.

About the late Dinner sitting, by the time everyone gets seated and enjoys being served their drinks, appetizers, soup and/or salad it can take a little while. It's not fast food and a race to the entree, it is a formal dining experience.

Of course they shouldn't have undercooked chicken on the buffet. I'm sure they took care of that. It could happen on occasion considering the volume of meals they serve. I doubt Tony will be getting a letter from Carnival though because he found a piece of chicken that was undercooked.

If I ever was served lobster that was pink on the inside, I would send it back too.

Dwayne
Old 04-06-2009, 08:25 AM

Sorry, but I think Tony's out of his mind. He thinks he's having heart trouble, then eats fried chicken? Is he trying to encourage a heart attack? Why didn't he go to the hospital in Barbados? Why did he risk his health and put the crew in such a perilous situation? If he had truly had a heart problem, and had a true heart attack in the middle of the ocean, was his wife going to sue Carnival? This post makes no sense to me. You're trying to blame a cruise line for an adult's decision. If some food was indeed undercooked, it was not the cause of Tony's problems. In any restaurant that you find undercooked or overcooked food, don't you always send it back? What about the other people in your party, did they eat undercooked food? Did they end up in the medical center? It'd be interesting to see the letter Tony receives. Of course, Carnival will have to be diplomatic, but it would still be an interesting read.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Well if he did not went to the doctor after medical recommendations from carnival is no brainer, is his responsibility...not carnival sorry about the situation but my uncle died the same way after not following medical recommendations,
As for the lobster I believe the "pink" color is for sirloins, hamburgers or red meat ect. For all I know the lobster they serve is clear before cooking since it comes from Florida and not from the sea and it became pink only after it is cooked,
The only pink one is the red lobster, is pink before cooking and that is not the one they serve on cruises too expensive but maybe I am wrong who knows...

I am sorry for all your trouble but my best guess, in Tonys case, they did what it had to be done...

Closed Thread

Tags
12, carnival, chefs, cruise, inside, lobster, meal, meals, rcci, reviews, served, table, tables, tips, victory