Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2007, 11:03 AM

Hello all,

I am new to the boards and come seeking advice.

I am trying to plan a spring break trip for me and a few other senior friends in college (about 4 to 5 21/22 yr old guys).

We would like to take a cruise for a week during March. The best cruise for the money (number of stops and quality of ports, IMO) turns out to be the Carnival 7 Day Southern Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Destiny leaving march 16th.

I have a few questions. The cruise leaves out of San Juan, Puerto Rico. How do you get from the airport to the port and into which airport should we fly?

Has anybody been on this cruise and if so how was it?

Is this a suitable cruise for me and my friends (age and people wise)? I have been on family cruises before and sometimes they do not always have the same age group as I would prefer.

Also, how much are drinks on the ship? I know they're expensive, but are they $5/7/10 for a beer, $10/15/20 for a tropical drink?

And lastly, is anyone else planning on this cruise?

Thanks,

Jake
Old 08-01-2007, 11:42 AM

I can help you out with the drink prices (sorta)...i believe beers tend to be from $3.50 to around $5, while the drinks can be anywhere from $7-ish and up...they will have a drink of the day which will be around $6.50 - $7, but you keep the cup...someone recently mentioned that you can ask for a regular cup and save some money...and keep in mind that all prices are before a 15% gratuity

there is also a link to a bar menu somewhere on the board...maybe someone can share that

im not exactly a cruise expert, so if someone corrects me, they are probably right, but those prices are in the ballpark
Old 08-01-2007, 11:51 AM

Welcome to cruise chat, jme02067! Mike is in the ballpark. The prices fluctuate but here is a small list of your choices:
Carnival Menu for Bar and Beverage
Domestic Beers, 12 oz.
Coors Light, Samuel Adams Lager
Domestic Beers, 16 oz.
Miller Light (16 oz. plastic bottle), Miller Genuine Draft (16 oz. plastic bottle), Icehouse (6 oz. plastic bottle), Budweiser (16 oz. aluminum bottle),
Bud Light (16 oz. aluminum bottle), Michelob Ultra (16 oz. plastic bottle)
Imported Beers, 12 oz.
Corona, Heineken, Amstel Light, Pilsner Urquell, Labatt Blue, Red Stripe, Beckís, Stella Artois
Bass Ale, Boddingtonís, Grolsh (16 oz.), Guinness Pub Draught, Fosterís Lager (750 ml.)
Non-Alcoholic Beers
Buckler, OíDoulís
Alcoholic Malt Beverages
Smirnoff Ice (citrus flavor), Bacardi Silver
Cordials and Liqueurs
Amaretto Di Saronno, Broganís Irish Cream, Frangelico, Khalua, Sambuca, Southern Comfort, Tia Maria
B & B, Chambord, Cointreau, Drambuie, Galliano, Grand Marnier, Jagermeister, Limoncella
Hot Drinks
French Coffee, Irish Coffee, Jamaican Coffee
Waters
Natural Spring Water (0.5 liter), Natural Spring Water (1.5 liter), Perrier France (6.5 oz.), San Pellegrino Italy (1 liter)
Soft Drinks Glass or Can
Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, Sprite, Diet Sprite, Club Soda, Ginger Ale, Tonic Water, Orange Soda, Pibb Extra, Caffeine Free Coke, Caffeine Free Diet Coke
Iced Tea, Poweraide (20 oz. bottle), Red Bull Energy Drink, Red Bull Sugarfree
Champagnes and Wines (Bottle or 6 oz. glass)
Asti, Martin & Rossi (bottle only), Moet & Chandon, White Star (bottle only), Korbel (Brut), White Zinfandel (Woodbridge), White Zinfandel (Beringer), Sauvignon Blanc (Novilo), Fume Blanc (Robert Mondavi), Chardonnay (Woodbridge Twin Oaks), Chardonnay (George Blanc), Chardonnay (Meridian), Chardonnay (Beringer), Pinot Noir (George Blanc), Merlot (Colombia Crest), Zinfandel (Fetzer), Shiraz (Black Opal), Cabernet Sauvignon (Woodbridge Twin Oaks), Cabernet Sauvignon (Meridian), Champagne Mimosa (glass only), Champagne Cocktail (glass only)
Sherries and Aperitifs (2 oz.)
Bristol Cream, Campari, Dry Sack, Pernod, Martini & Rossi (Sweet), Martini & Rossi (Dry), Tio Pepe
Ports
Cockburnís Special Reserve, Dowís Late Bottled Vintage, Grahamís Six Grape, Croft Distinction, Dowís Twenty Year Tawney
Cognacs and Brandies
Napoleon (V.S.O.P. Brandy), Fundador, Courvoisier (V.S.), Hennessy (V.S.O.P.), Hardy (V.S.O.P.), Cles Des Ducs, Armagnac (V.S.O.P.), Hardy (X.O.), Hennessy (X.O.)
The Fun Ship
Try this exotic invention consisting of amaretto, rum, vodka, apricot brandy and juices
The distinctive 15 oz. glass is your to keep as a remembrance of your cruise
Refills - Souvenir glassware and refills are served only on the outer deck
Specialty Cocktails
Bahama Mama, Blue Margarita, Caribbean Breeze, Goombay Smash, Island Delight, Margarita, Mexican Mama, Planterís Punch, Riviera Delight, Ultimate Suntan, Yellow Bird
Frozen Exotic Cocktails
(also available with Souvenir 15 oz. Hurricane Glass)
Banana Daiquiri, Mango Daiquiri, Dirty Banana, Miami Vice, Margarita, Pina Colada, Mudslide, Raspberry Daiquiri, Lemonade, Strawberry Daiquiri, Rum Runner, Cappuccino
Smoothies
Non-alcoholic smoothies are available in all of the flavors above
Scotches
Dewarís White Label, Johnnie Walker Red, J & B, Jameson Irish Whiskey, Chivas Regal, Johnnie Walker Black
Single Malts
Glenmorangie (10 year), Glenfiddich (12 year), Cragganmore (12 year), Glenkinchie (10 year), Talisker (10 year), Dalwhinnie (15 year)
Bourbons and Blends
Canadian Club, Jim Beam, Seagramís 7, Seagramís V.O., Old Grand Dad, Wild Turkey, Jack Danielís Black, Seagramís Crown Royal, Blantonís Bourbon
Vodkas
Smirnoff, Stolichnaya, Absolut, Absolut Citron, Absolut Vanilla, Ketel One, Grey Goose, Belvedere
Martiniís
Martini, Premium Martini
Ultra Premium Martinis: Cosmopolitan (Vodka, Triple Sec, Lime, Cranberry), The Traditional (Gin, Dry Vermouth), Violetta (Vodka, Cranberry Juice, Blue Curacao), Chocolate (Gin, Cream de Cacao), Italian (Bacardi Limon, Dry Vermouth)
Rums
Captain Morgan Spiced Rum, Bacardi, Bacardi Limon, Bacardi O, Myerís Dark, Malibu Rum, Bacardiís "8"
Gins
Beefeater, Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire
Tequilas
Margaritaville, 1800
Grappa
Botega Clubenu
Old 08-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Banned

Wow, glad it was a small list!
Old 08-01-2007, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the (elaborate) info on booze.

But does anyone have any information on the planning aspect of the trip (most importantly the logistics of flying into Puerto Rico and traveling to the cruise ship).

Thanks again.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:22 PM

still cant help on the planning, but here is that bar menu link i mentioned...i was close

BOOZE!
Old 08-01-2007, 12:46 PM

You will fly into San Juan. You can take a taxi to the port it's about $20.00. It's not that long of a ride or you can pay for the shuttle bus.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:52 PM

I have been on the Destiny and it's one of my favorite ships. The ports have changed a little but that's ok. If you get a chance to get off the ship in Barbados, go to the Boat Yard. It's about a $10.00 cab fare. It's a fun safe local tourist place to relax have a couple of drinks and party. You are going during Spring break so there will be plenty of young people partying and having a great time. One of the things is after the disco closes (3:30AM), everyone goes to the Pizzeria. Be patient and be prepared to wait for your pizza.

Be sure to tag all your luggage and include your whereabouts and a copy of your passport and id's inside your luggage just incase it get's lost.

I may be going the week before, because it's my birthday.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:57 PM

Thanks, Cruisehappy.

Your info is much appreciated.

What were your favorite ports when you did this ship?

Quote:
Originally posted by Cruisehappy:
I have been on the Destiny and it's one of my favorite ships. The ports have changed a little but that's ok. If you get a chance to get off the ship in Barbados, go to the Boat Yard. It's about a $10.00 cab fare. It's a fun safe local tourist place to relax have a couple of drinks and party. You are going during Spring break so there will be plenty of young people partying and having a great time. One of the things is after the disco closes (3:30AM), everyone goes to the Pizzeria. Be patient and be prepared to wait for your pizza.

Be sure to tag all your luggage and include your whereabouts and a copy of your passport and id's inside your luggage just incase it get's lost.

I may be going the week before, because it's my birthday.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:59 PM

Tropical drinks ar about $7.95. They will have daily specials. I'm not sure how much beer and wine cost.

Closed Thread

Tags
barbados, break, brogans, buy, caribbean, carnival, cost, cream, cruise, day, irish, ma, michelob, review, royal, southern, spring, ultra