Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2006, 07:36 AM

I'm a first time cruiser on Carnival and selected the prepaid gratuities. I know there will be additional times when I'll need to tip above and beyond that, but was I wise to select the prepaid gratuities, or do you experienced cruisers think it's best to tip as we go, or all at the end?
Old 06-17-2006, 07:53 AM

Seems to be a little confusing about Gratuity and Tipping. As someone that has worked for tips during college, I can say no one ever Tipped me before I finished serving them. Then I was rewarded for the service rendered. Is why I don't believe in Pre-Paid Gratuities. The real truth is Carnival had a Percentage of People that did not Tip at all so they started the Pre-Paid as a way to pass their Labor Costs on to us as Pre-Paid without reflecting it in the Cruise Rate. I think it has had an impact on service on the Passenger end. Is only My opinion and time will tell. I TIP after service is given. Still works for me as was meant to.

IslandCruz
Old 06-20-2006, 12:26 PM

I know that I was "charged" a $10 per day/per person "Gratuity" = $30.00 per day that is split with service staff. I did Tip $100.00 at the end of the cruise as that our Steward was FANTASTIC. Our dinner hostess, Eva from Slovokia was a charm and she and her assistant also received a tip to split. I did not tip the Matre D'. I am sure that he/she is paid far more than the host/hostesses in the Main dining room.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:18 PM
I have found that giving my room attendant a $2.00 bill each and everyday results in exceptional service-I still pay the standard cruiseline gratuity at the end of the cruise-but the $2's seem to catch their attention and piques their interest in you!Hence I always pick up a supply of $2's at a bank before departure! Those $2's seem to work quite well everywhere!
Old 06-23-2006, 06:16 AM

Billybuzzy, That is a great idea! Do the banks still have them? Is often I order just coffee or tea from room service and either have a 1 or 5 and this would be perfect. I did find out you can write the room service tip in, but I think they like the cash better. On the topic of gifts I have brought a new T-shirt for steward that said Smirnoff Ice that the distributor had given out..He was happy, and said he could not wait to wear at the crew bar! It was not a substitute for a tip, just a gesture..needless to say I did want for ice that week, and one day I had slept in from being out late when he came to make up the room I told him..He said I will at least bring you some fresh towels later and offered to order lunch for me! A cash tip is best, but a small thoughtful gift does set the stage for conversation. Let's face it they work unbelievable hours and are often miss-treated so when they get a nice person..you get their attention. And I agree I have had all types of Stewards.

Closed Thread

Tags
attendants, cruise, employee, employees, gift, gifts, ideas, leave, leaving, review, room, service, ship, staff, workers